Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / king pin and bolster plate
- - By crahner (**) Date 10-29-2010 17:09
I was asked to replace just the bolster plate, the way I remember it they should be done at the same time.  Am I on the right track?

thanks,
Casey
Parent - - By 36037 (*) Date 10-29-2010 19:59
plate, king pin and cross members, sounds like a log trailer
Parent - By crahner (**) Date 10-29-2010 21:04
It is a drop deck flat bed, used primarily for hay.
- - By Robert48 (**) Date 10-29-2010 20:16
They should be done at the same time. If you have ever cut one of these plates off you know that you don,t want to do it again. No matter what it pays. I would also charge an extra fee if it is not cleaned first.
Parent - - By crahner (**) Date 10-29-2010 21:07
I have been around while others were being done, but never took one one by myself.  I was told that it would be cleaned off, if not it is in a shop now and can be steamd easy enough. 
The way i figure this one is to man handle the plate, fight getting it where it needs to be and eat sparks from air arcing, cutting, grinding and welding until a too small check is picked up.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 10-30-2010 01:49
At least its not a Reefer, they are the worst! Unfortionately I have done more than my fair share. I would strongly recommend replacing the king pin when you do it. It is the right way to do the job and they are not that expensive. Just make sure you get the correct king pin for the plate thickness. On a drop deck it should be 3/8".
I dont have a forklift so I built an adapter that I use on my big 20ton air jack to remove and install the plate. Ive done it with two chain comalongs also.
Parent - By 36037 (*) Date 10-30-2010 03:36
just keep it flat,  as you go check it with a strait edge and push it down with a jack if you have to.  A pin is about $45 around here and a must on a new plate, don't skimp on the fitup on the crossmembers. You can cut it a little big to make it go in better, weld it on the outside of the beams.
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 10-29-2010 21:40
they suck, I did one overhead, and to top it off all with 11018.. not fun but man did they pay!
Parent - By crahner (**) Date 10-31-2010 04:00
We got it!  New pin, plate and channel for strength.  Welding out with .068 flux core.

Thanks for the guidance,
Casey
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / king pin and bolster plate