Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Air Arc Gouging
- - By slynde7218 Date 10-31-2010 16:35
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, but I'm enjoying reading many of these. I'm in a welding school now and coming up soon we will be doing some air arcing. I've heard that it can be a real bear and alot of grinding if not done right. Just wondering if anyone had some advise or tips to help out when the time comes. Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 10-31-2010 16:56
Use CC DCEP.

Be sure the electrode is centered in the V contact point in the electode holder.

Use a slight push angle regardless of position; flat, overhead, or vertical.

Keep the air holes directly behind the electrode's direction of travel.

Keep the tip of the electrode extension within about 6" of the electrode holder to get an adequate amount of air at the electrode tip.

Don't push so fast the electrode rubs hard at the leading edge of the gouge.  You can't go too slow when you are first learning, but you can go too fast.

More light cuts are easier to manage than fewer heavier cuts.

Don't foreget to turn on the air!
Parent - By slynde7218 Date 10-31-2010 17:02
Thanks for the advise. I will post what happens after I do it. I'm looking forward to it.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 10-31-2010 17:23
Wear ear plugs.
Parent - - By slynde7218 Date 10-31-2010 17:36
Thats what I hear(no pun). I've heard its very loud.
Parent - - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 10-31-2010 17:45
It's fun but loud as hell
Parent - - By slynde7218 Date 10-31-2010 17:48
Thats what I've heard as far as the noise and the fun. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for the reply.
Parent - - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 10-31-2010 19:27
It's best when u use a sae400 on max that thing will bout turn a flip the leads jump around to
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 11-01-2010 01:56
Kind of like this:)
Parent - - By cwf07 (***) Date 10-31-2010 23:40
Make sure you were a respirator because the smoke can make you sick if you breath to much. Got to much last week.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 11-01-2010 00:18 Edited 11-01-2010 00:42
+ 1 on the Respirator.  Carbon residue is horrible for the lungs and is what the arc gouge electrodes are made from (with a copper coating).  It's the same stuff that's inside a No. 2 pencil and conducts electricty very well.  Arc gouging is Loud.  Earplugs always not just for noise but sparks entering the ears and burning the inner ear, very nasty.  Never EVER arc gouge while standing in WATER or wearing wet gloves.  Make sure the carbon electrode is centered in the holder with the air jets facing the proper way (where you want the sparks to fly).  It's easy to put the rod in without being properly centered and cutting will be nasty and unpredictable.  Put the cutting rod half way or CENTERED in the electrode holder and adjust, as you consume it,  to be at least a few inches away from the holder.  Make sure you know where the sparks/slag/molten metal are flying so they do not bounce back and burn you or start a fire.  Wear leathers and proper PPE.  ALWAYS have a fire watch and/or fire extinguisher nearby.  Confirm that your welding machine can HANDLE the amps required to arc gouge.  If not, you will destroy your machine in short order.  It's possible to use two machines, bridged at the same time to minimize damage but check the maker to be sure.   Here are some images. Hope this helps.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=arc+gouge&wrapid=tlif12885704838961&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=dAbOTL3kMsSblgfgmMTjCA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CDYQsAQwBA&biw=1259&bih=595
Parent - - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 11-01-2010 02:19 Edited 11-09-2010 11:15
deleted by moderator
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 11-01-2010 02:27
use a rental machine air arcin will destroy a smaller amp machine in quick fashion.
want to kill a ranger lol lol
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 11-01-2010 02:34 Edited 11-01-2010 02:53
Arc air is my b*tch!

Though it sure helps to have a firewatch at the mill when we're out there.  :)

Biggest gouging rod I've used was 5/8"

If you're using a machine that can't pump out the amperage required for larger gouging rods, go down a few gouging rod sizes and you'll be fine...I think I use around 350 amps for a 3/8" rod.  That should give you a starting point.  Gouge more into the material that you need to remove if you're not trying to salvage both parts.  if you are trying to salvage both, gouge a slight bit at a time until you find a fine line in the center of the gouge, then carry the visible line down the length of your gouge.  If you're back gouging a weld, gouge down until you don't see a line and give'r!  If you're gouging something off crap that is as said off of something good, tear into the scrap and give'r!  If you're gouging off a backing strip, gouge the sides off first, then wash down the center as close to the base material as you can without tearing into it.  If you're a bit high, you can always grind it down...but because we all love grinding, the closer and cleaner you gouge to the surface, the better.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 11-02-2010 02:16 Edited 11-02-2010 10:59
deleted by moderator---
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 11-02-2010 04:22
awspartb... I am very curious as to how you have become such a hillbilly expert..???  You speak of people dying almost everyday due to Redneck tendencies.... If I am not mistaken you have said in some of your previous posts that you are from New York.... Now I have only had the pleasure of visiting New York one time and if my memory serves me correctly New York isn't over run with rednecks....

So how have you learned so much about the Redneck way of life...???  Did you do a research paper on Rednecks in college..??? Have you eaten food known to Rednecks called BBQ...???

Yes us Rednecks push the envelope a little... Maybe too much at times but we enjoy life and we mind our own business....

Safety is very important I understand but my goodness Dude lighten up a bit....

I have insulted your mental abilities before on this Forum and honestly I did not enjoy doing it..!!!  Please don't judge every redneck to be an Idiot.... By grouping all Rednecks as stupid people it just exposes your own ignorance....

If you have good advice please by all means give it... It is however possible to give advice by not insulting good HARD working people...

My grandpa always used to tell me that the greatest fool is a man that argues with a fool.... I hope that I have not stooped to that level with this comment..!!!

RC
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 11-02-2010 04:32 Edited 11-02-2010 04:34
awspartb: I don't think it would be possible to find ANYONE, redneck, hillbilly, idiot or partb, that hasn't had some safety training somewhere sometime. But just in case, it's good of you to come on here and enlighten us dumb uneddikated redneked billhilly idgits jus de same. Thangque.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-03-2010 14:58
Carbon Arc Cutting, commonly called: Air Arc, Carbon Arc, Gouging, is truly an art.  Doing it properly takes practice.  Using the right electrodes for your application (biggest is not always BEST), the right air pressure (more is not usually BETTER), the correct amperage for the electrode and work requirements (highest possible is not recommended) and then getting the air ports on the correct side and angle to do the cleanest possible job. 

You would truly be amazed by what an experienced hand can accomplish with Air Arc.Light skimming to get penetration, heavy material removal to repair or replace parts, cutting of excess material, and much more.

There are several constructive suggestions within this thread.  Ear protection (plugs at the least, more if possible), respiratory (dust mask at the least, off the back fresh air positive air flow supply if possible), Protective clothing (Carharts or leathers highly recommended), Good Welding Gloves, proper hood/lens shade protection, Boots with good stitching that won't burn up and no holding area for sparks on the top especially where the tongue comes down to the main part of the boot.

Bottom line, time, practice, safety.  Keep at it.  It is worth knowing how to do and do well.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 11-03-2010 19:46
I have done very little conventional arch gouging but I did buy a plasma cutter with a gouge setting... It works great and is very smooth.. It is muck quieter and safer in my opinion...Mite be something to look into if you want to buy a new unit...

RC
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-03-2010 23:52
RC,

Not to be contradictory, I would be careful about calling it 'safer'.  Depends upon several factors. First, to me, being what areas you refer to when calling it 'safer'.  The fumes that come off of plasma have been rated pretty high on the hazardous scale.  Not good stuff to breath at all.  The plasma stream can take a finger off that won't happen with arc air as your finger won't conduct electricity. (My plasma will run a couple of seconds without being close to ground but will shut down quickly when no ground is attached.  Will put a good gouge in the steel before shutting off.) 

In some comparisons I ran between a large plasma and air arc on heavy equipment components I found the air arc to be faster, cleaner and just plain more managable in the tight areas I needed to use it than the plasma. 

Now, everyone's application is different.  Some may find their use more profitable and clean with the plasma.  These are just my personal conclusions for my specific applications.

Another safety item:  When using air arc or plasma indoors, a good exhaust/ventilation system is very necessary.  The best one I worked with had louvers on one end of the weld shop and exhaust fans with louvers at the other end.  When I turned on the fans and all louvers opened up the air moved through at a rate that would keep your air pure from several users at the same time.  The lower level air did not move fast enough to be a problem for the gas shielding while the upper air moved at a pretty high rate and kept all contaminants sucked out very nicely.  (Even works if you are running air arc with a gas or diesel power source.)

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 11-04-2010 01:33 Edited 11-04-2010 01:39
I have not run a gouge enough to have a strong opinion of it... All I remember is that it was LOUD and threw big chunks of slag like a son of a gun...  Most of my work is in the field so I don't worry about fumes too much... My plasma may not take as big of a swath as a gouge but it seems twice as fast between passes as a gouge from what I remember.... I don't remember how much air a gouge takes but I think the plasma will run off of a smaller compressor.. Mine is a 1 1/4 machine and I can push it with a gas 5.5hp  10.3 cfm compressor just fine...

I need to run a gouge again to have a strong opinion as to which one I like better.  As for now and for my application I am very happy with my plasma... It is also allot easier on my machine than a gouge... I was just trying to give the original poster another possible option to look into....

Here is another question for you guys... I haven't had the need to do it yet since I have owned my plasma but what will remove hardfacing better... Plasma or a gouge... I have had the joy in the past of blowing it off with a torch and a grinder... Both were terrible at removing it... I hope I never have to do it again but what do you guys think is the best tool for that nasty job..???

RC
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Air Arc Gouging