Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME IX vs API 1104
- - By md_fazry Date 11-01-2010 04:22
Hi all,
I have big problem with my project where our client and us (contractor) doesnt agree with applicable specification.
We have one isolation joint (for electrical purpose / corrosion) and it clearly stated in Client spec that welding shall refer to ASME IX. Anyway, our beloved client referring to other section where it stated 'the design of isolation joint' shall refer to pipeline design (API 1104). Here, i believed that 'design' and specific we;ding have different meaning ...
So, there is conflict when our supplier had their existing WPS referring to ASME IX, which we believed that is qualified to start the production. So, which one is correct? ASME IX or API 1104?I have checked both specs, including ASME B31.4 but 31.4 can refer to both ASME IX and API 1104. Which one is more stringent, API 1104 or ASME IX?
For info; the isolation will have two joints; Weld # 1; forging to forging (in the middle of isolation joint) and also Weld # 2; weld between forged material to our linepipe (API 5L X65). in this case, i believed that weld number 1 can used ASME IX but weld number 2 - still required API 1104???
Please help me ... got headache for 2 wks now ...
Sorry for broken english + many Q ... :)
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 11-01-2010 13:09
First of all it isn't a matter of more or less stringent. They are incompatible.
Second, if the specification says 'welding' per ASME IX then it has to be ASME IX for qualfications since ASME IX only deals with qualifications.
By the fact that ASME IX is invoked AT ALL means that it would have to take precedence for procedure and performance qualfications since there is no place else it could be applied. If you eliminate it from qualifications there is no point in having in the spec AT ALL.
Parent - By Bonniweldor (**) Date 11-02-2010 19:58
Get a disposition from the client for any ambiguity of specification, since such clarity is their contractual responsibility.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-02-2010 20:48
If these parts are already built I don't see much help coming from the customer. If they insist then it seems to me incumbant upon them to explain why ASME IX is in the spec AT ALL, and how it is somehow that design becomes welding. Design may determine production welding but has nothing to do with the qualification process.
At best for the client you would have to generate an NCR, disposition it as having to qualify everything to API 1104, which could take considerable time. Not to mention expense.
At worst for the client you end up in court and they lose.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 11-03-2010 02:42
Maybe looking at things too simple.... first of all, the weld doesn't know if its ASME IX or API 1104.  Look at the PQR's, were adequate tests performed in order that the WPS could support either Code?  If so then I think its simply a manner of informinig the Client. 

If not, then you might assess what was missing in the qualification process and if it had any bearing on the mechanical properties of the welds. 

Just a personal opinion here, it seems doubtful that any issue of mechanical integrity might come from applying an incorrect code, maybe some additional NDE may convince the Client that all is well. 

Most importantly, be honest with your Client.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME IX vs API 1104