Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / wabo
- - By stibbett6930 Date 11-01-2010 14:55
how much weight dus your wabo cert have on you getting a job?
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 11-01-2010 15:36
Washington Association of Building Officials?  (State of Washington)
Parent - - By stibbett6930 Date 11-01-2010 16:01
yes that is what wabo stands for.
Washington Association of Building Officials
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-01-2010 19:23
Hello Shane, it really depends on where you are looking for employment. Structural steel that is fabricated and field erected/welded in Washington state falls under the jurisdiction of WABO. If you plan on being on a job that falls under this jurisdiction you will need to be certified by WABO. In some instances the WABO certification will be recognized by other states or localities. Many of the WABO welders with the Washington card will be allowed to utilize their cards in Portland, Ore. for doing work there in leu of a Portland City Card. I have heard of them also being recognized in parts of Idaho and Alaska, but there are no specific guarantees of that. Hope this helps a bit with your question. For additional information on WABO try their website: www.wabo.org , it has a lot of pertinent information there. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-01-2010 20:31
Wabo's wobble but they don't fall down.
Parent - By dnelson2031 (*) Date 11-02-2010 00:36
That's funny!  But do WABO's ever wobble the job?
- - By klapine5897 Date 11-02-2010 02:48
How much weight does an AA degree with a WABO cert have on you getting a job?  Is it even worth getting an associats degree?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-02-2010 03:24
Hello klapine5897, that really depends on who is considering you. I have a number of students who have gone after jobs in any number of geographical areas, trades, etc. A number of the unions have given quite a bit of consideration to both of those markers. Their apprenticeships have been shortened considerably in many instances as a result, how much is certainly up for interpretation and could likely be dependent upon the whims of some of those doing the hiring or classification. Unfortunately there are no guarantees that a degree will definitely put you at the top of the selection process, many other variables will probably rank right up there or be in the forefront to actually getting you hired. Like most everything else though, coming to the gunfight with a loaded magazine certainly doesn't hurt. There are plenty of stories of success credited to individuals who have been successful by schooling and the school of hard-knocks, I believe the person and their own drive, along with a possible nose for opportunity will provide success for themselves regardless of the avenue of choice that leads them there. Essentially all of my mumbo-jumbo is saying that if you decide that a formal welding education figures into your plans and you apply yourself you won't be dissappointed, I am also saying that if a person decides to get after a career on their own and work up through the ranks out in the trades themselves,they too can be equally successful. There is no one track that fits everyone, even though I am a welding instructor, I have experienced much of both sides of the fence as far as learning goes, within context, it all has value. When considering education, especially if you are young(and even if you're not so young), consider this question: if you don't pursue it now, will you ever take the time later to get after it? Most of us know the answer to that. Hope this has given you a bit of food for thought and good luck and success on whichever choice you end up making. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By klapine5897 Date 11-04-2010 20:33
Thank you for the reply.  I am in school and many of my friends have told me that the AA degree is pointless.  I needed an experts opinion because I would like to ask them to explain all the details on a bleu print.  Since I am in school I have been able to gather a lot of knowladge on this subject.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 11-05-2010 19:58
I know a guy who took 2 years of welding, showed up on his first interview, and the first question he was asked was "So why did you go to college for 2 years and not get a degree?"  Kind of hard to sound sharp while answering that one.

Personal opinion here, but going to school for two years or more, and NOT getting a degree seems pretty pointless to me.

Will the degree help you be competitive for a less physical job if you get busted up welding?  What about if you decide you don't like welding and want to become a cop or a civil servant or something?  Or you decide you really like it and want to teach some day?

My opinion is there is not a good reason to pass on the degree.  Taking some general education to get better at math, reading, and writing never hurt anyone's career, or their ability to full fill their civic responsibilities as an American.  I have yet to meet anyone who got a technical degree and then later said they regretted doing the extra work to get the AA, even if they decided to not work in that particular field.  Once you have it, you have it for life.  Better to get it now than regret not doing the extra that would have been required once you are 50.  You may at that point have found that things didn't go exactly as you had planned when you were younger.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 11-06-2010 17:59
I'm guessing that those who say a degree is pointless...don't have a degree. Like those who say money doesn't buy happiness...don't have any money. Given the opportunity, get the degree. Never turn down a chance to improve your education and training.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-06-2010 19:30
Listen to the wisdom from those who are on both sides: I don't have a degree and I say GET IT!!!

I own my own company for the past 14 years after welding for others for over 20 years.  I have learned a lot on the job but wish I had gotten the degree.

I started out in Administration of Justice, deicided Law Enforcement wasn't for me and kept doing something I knew a LITTLE about and enjoyed doing.  Wish I had completed my degree in Admin of Justice even though I didn't go that way and then added college time in welding.  It would have made many things easier through the years especially advancement in some of the companies I have worked for.  It's not too bad welding for a living without the degree, it is much harder to advance to decent management positions without it. 

Bottom line: When you have already gotten a fair amount of schooling...get a degree, even if you switch courses and add a little time to get the one you want.  Personally, with how I feel about it today, I would finish the first degree and then do a second one in the direction I had decided to go.  Many of your basic classes will still apply so you don't have to take them twice and two degrees go even further to show how willing you are to get where you want and that you are willing and able to finish what you start.

Getting certified will also help as will experience in your chosen profession.  BUT, as you can see from those who have been around and are on both sides of the education/degree line, it is deemed to be important.  And, as an employer I feel both education and certification are important.  Why should I take time to train someone when I can get someone already trained.  There is always some training involved but I don't want to start with the basics with every one of my new employees.

Hope we have helped.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / wabo