Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Here are the stairs
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-01-2010 22:54
I know I posted some pics on here awhile ago showing my current projects and I remember there was some interest in the stairs I was working on. So, we went out today and installed them at the clients house. He was thrilled and so was I. They turned out great, lots of planning, forethought about the installation and we we out of there in about 2 hours. Here's some pics,
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-01-2010 23:13
Very slick Shawn!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-01-2010 23:17
Hello Shawn, very nice looking stairs indeed. Are the treads "plastic wood" by chance? Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-01-2010 23:34
Actually the treads are "Trex" decking. They were being overrun by boring bee's and he's been slowly working over the exterior of the home to get rid of wood. We talked about treads when we first met and at first I was thinking channel stringers, but what to use for the treads? We talked it over and I thought about the wood stringers they have at the home stores and wondered if I could get some cut out. Talked to a laser cutting company near the house and they said, "sure". We opted for the Trex because he didn't want the industrial type of treads offered, which is what did the channel stringers in. Just could not see using that on a house as nice as theirs. This is what we came up with. I like how it turned out and as far as I know they have the most unique set of stairs around these parts. Worked out well, he's wanting me to come back out in the spring and look at the steps at his office. Good thing is he lives right next door to a bed and breakfast, hopefully the owner of that will catch a glimpse of his new steps and well, we can just hope from there!!
Parent - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 11-01-2010 23:48
Those are nice. Good Job, Shawn.

Chris
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-02-2010 01:35
Nice job.
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 11-02-2010 00:02
looks good
Parent - - By nozzlehead Date 11-02-2010 01:15
Those stairs look great!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-02-2010 02:44
Looks good from Connecticiut.

Al
Parent - - By d_paul71 (**) Date 11-02-2010 11:17
Impressive....
Parent - - By hillbilly (**) Date 11-02-2010 15:52
I sound like an echo, but that turned out slick! I like the look of the Trex .
Parent - - By RUSSELL (**) Date 11-02-2010 17:06
Very nice work Shawn.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-02-2010 18:09
Nice job! Now, how about some pictures of your rig?
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 11-02-2010 23:36
They look great Shawn. Just curious, how many hours?
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 11-03-2010 02:30
hell yeah very nice
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-03-2010 10:09
I'm not sure about exact hours pickupman, it was a bid job. It probably has about 40 in it? Maybe a tick more or less but not real sure. I just know how I wanted it to look and made it happen. But I do things other folks most likely don't do, weld the caprail to the channel completely on both sides the grind and sand the weld smooth. Time consuming as heck but when you run your hand down it is as smooth as silk, I don't like the little ridges and bumps I can feel from the weld bead. Setting up the stringers and getting the angle in was tricky, had to get it level 6 ways of sunday, times two stringers. Then get the angle in there, tacked in place. My wife liked them so much that she said that's what she wanted done with out porch steps. Only problem is ours are somewhere around 16 steps.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 11-04-2010 04:12
Well they look great. Be sure you start a photo album you can show people to let them see the kind of work you do.
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 11-04-2010 20:26
Very nice!  They didn't make you build a landing at the door?

Bob
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-07-2010 13:20
they didn't have a landing at the door with the original steps. They also park their cars right there(carport) and when I laid these steps out I came up with 6 steps, the original wood had 5. I could not figure out how that was done until I measured and found out the wood guy's rise was not equal. Something like 6, 6, 6, 6, 4 or 3. Don't even remember if the sixes were all sixes. My steps actually came out about a foot longer and adding a landing would have put that out into the fender of the clients car. Unless the stairs were turned sideways which would not have worked out either due to the layout of the land sort of speak. They've been in this house for 20 years using those old rickity wood steps that looked like a machine gun was shot at it from the boring bee's. Their back door was only a 30" door as well and these stairs were 36" between the railings at least.

Besides that we live out in the sticks so somebody "making" us do something is few and far between. Railings are up to codes with height, baluster spacing, side loading. Steps are all within 1/4" of each other....actually they are all plus or minus whatever the trex variation would be. These folks were in their early 60's and planning on finishing off their days in this house so these give a nice gradual rise whereas if I went with a landing and steps they would need rock climbing gear to get up and down the steps in order to keep the steps short enough for them to still park their car where they do. I did think about a landing though, but sometimes your just limited by your surroundings.

Talked to codes guy about my house, he said, "you in the city limits?", told him nope. He said, "well just make sure your balusters are less than 4" and the height is between 34" and 36". No permits, no inspections....that's how I like it. Built a barn, no permits, no inspections, bought the wood and built it. In Nashville when I lived there you couldn't fart without a hazardous gas permit!!

Shawn
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Here are the stairs