Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / starting up business, need advice
- - By mcwelding (**) Date 09-19-2002 22:46
hey all,
i have been messing around with welding for years. i have been doing side jobs for about 5. i am considering becoming official and getting insurance, etc. there isnt much future in my full time job for overtime anymore and the welding is easier then being a machinist and having to work with less than .001. i have a trailer with a miller trailblazer 301g, miller s32p wire feeder, tig torch, miller high freq box, miller spectrum 2050 plasma cutter, gas powered air compressor, torches, tanks, etc. i got everything to be a nomad welder. just need some advice on starting up an official biz. i have some asme sec. ix certs at work but they wont carryover for my stuff, but was thinkin of getting aws d1.1 carbon steel for mig, tig and stick for me. insurance is about 1000.00. anyone out there doing the same thing. for now it will be part time stuff like i been doing.
thanks, rich
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 09-20-2002 11:00
Rich, I started my business without much more equipment than you have now. The only thing you should do along with getting insurance is talk to your accountant. He may suggest some type of incorporation, or not, but talk to him anyway. I recall those years of working part time on my welding business (all night, all weekend) and then going to my day job. I never turned down any work, no matter what it was I found a way to do it. I even coerced my family to work the weekends with me before I hired some help (I have 10 full time employees now). I started out with one mobile truck and no shop facilities, I now have both, you will eventually want a place to fabricate the stuff you want to take to jobs. It is a difficult and intimidating decision to go at it full time. I have no regrets. It takes alot of dedication and alot of missed "family moments". You sometimes will find it hard to get a job done and still make it to family events. You cannot leave the customer hanging, if you are not willing to work holidays, birthdays and anniversaries (I have not had a holiday off in years!) you may not be entirely successful. You should have welding certifications for the type of welding you think you might do, I find the customer is easily comforted when you can pull out your wallet cards that show you can weld structural and high pressure pipe. After you have pipe and structural certs, you will only need to aquire more as the customers demand it. These two are more than enough to show the customer you are qualified. Get some business card printed up and drop them off at every factory and construction site or construction company you drive past and I mean all of them. It takes years to build up clientele that will sustain you in the lean years. Do not dress like a slob, you know, that shirt and pants that have all of those holes in them from welding. Customers are impressed with a clean cut business man who works hard. Dirty is okay at the end of the day, but not impressive to anyone at 6 am. There are a hundred more things I could tell you, but I do have work to do myself. Others will provide their particular point of view and if you ask more questions I will try to answer them. After all is said and done it will be your decision on how and when to start and operate your own business, so just do it!! Good luck.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - By chall (***) Date 09-20-2002 11:27
How do you beat the ethics of MSherman? You don't. Anyway, I am not self employed, but I have a lot to do with financial decision making as it pertains to welding and code issues. I would suggest thinking hard about which codes you want to be compliant with (or work to) before you find yourself spending a ton of money on books that only get used once or twice. They cost a bunch and are changed often enough to warrant careful consideration before buying. The other thing is to consider how you will respond when a client wants you to do welding you are not qualified for (no PQR/WPS). Options are: say no, say yes, say yes but the client pays for the PQR or say yes and you pay for the PQR. As you can see, it comes down to: who pays for the qualification? Typically, we try to put the burden on the client. However, if it is something that we see a growing need for, we may eat the cost of qualification. The point is, one day you'll be put on the spot. It's worth thinking about ahead of time. Good luck to you, Charles Hall.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-20-2002 13:33
Along with the previous sound advice I'd like to add that your reputation for being fair with your clients is very important. No one expects you to work for free, but be prepared to justify your estimates, and be as flexible as you can. There may be ways to save your client some money that you can suggest. Ask questions to make sure what you think you heard the customer say is what he thinks he meant.
Never bad mouth your competition, even if he's doing it to you. It's better to show why the customer can have confidance in you. They'll be able to tell who the professional is.
And lastly, everyone makes mistakes, but we are judged by how we accept them (no whining), and how we correct them (sometimes we take it on the chin). If your customers truly feel you want to do a good job, you will soon be looking to expand your business.
Hope you do well,
CHGuilford
Parent - - By mcwelding (**) Date 09-22-2002 21:39
hey guys,
thanks for all the advice! my biggest worry is that i work for my dad in the family bizz. and i have to give him at least 40 hrs. i just dont want to get too much work that im lettin someone down.my other questions are how do you get an official name? pay taxes? pay helpers? etc.
thanks, rich
Parent - By Jay Krout (*) Date 09-23-2002 00:05
Hey MC How are you doin, haven't heard from you in while, so things are picking up then thets good!! To pick a name use your own that way the customers know who is doing the work, at least until you get established for a couple years then you can get a more fancy name. as far as paying taxes I still don't ubderstand all the whys wherefores, I just save everything, categorize it all, add up all the totals for the categories and make a trip to the man with the horn riimmed glasses(all accountants where horn rimmed glasses). As far as getting busy I have this policy and the customers understand it, I won't leave in the middle of a 3 day job to something else for three days. I will check in with the customer that wants the new work done in the evening of that day or early the next morning to look it over and make the necesary arrangemnets, if its a little thing thats only gonna take an hour or two I'll do it. I keep the previous customer informed of whats happening in these situations. Generally it all works out in the end. As far as gettin too busy, I've been very forunate in that I have a lot of desire to succeed in this. I've been known to work 3 days non stop, except too get gas for the welder, and food and lots of coffee. It's not easy and I don't really like to do that, but occasionally you have no choice, I prefer to work alone, I don't want to be responsible for employees and all the crap that goes with it, a small operater like myself usually winds up with someone who wants to be your buddy not your employee, and I usually get more done by myself anyway.
I hope this answers afew of your questions, maybe it isn't what you wanted to know I'm not sure, but thats my views on it. Would I do it again? You bet your welder I would. Good luck and God Bless Keep in touch! J Krout
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 09-23-2002 10:35
Rich, you business is not "official" unless you are incorporated. Only then can you keep someone else from using the same name. As far as taxes go, talk to an accountant. There are penalties and late fees that often are more than the original tax. So you must be on top of your game in that area. There are numerous programs you can buy for your computer that will help you on taxes, but I have never had time to investigate them. Good luck.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - - By guy (*) Date 10-08-2002 10:47
RICH,I HAVE BEEN IN BUSSINES FOR MYSELF FOR 3 YEARS AND MY MAIN CONCERN IS STILL
FINDING THE WORK TO STAY BUSY.I GO THROUGH TIMES THAT I HAVE TWO OR THREE HELPERS
BACK TO JUST MYSELF.ITS HARD STARTING OUT ON YOUR OWN.I WOULD SAY DONT WORRIE
ABOUT CERTS OTHER THAN YOUR BASIC STICK ETC. YOU CAN GET THEM AS NEEDED,THERE ARE
TONS OF CERTS AND TO GET THEM ALL IS IMPOSSIBLE.

TAXES= IN MY STATE YOU MUST GET A STATE TAX LIC & A SEPARATE TAX LIC FOR EVERY
CITY OR TOWN YOU DO WORK IN.BUT ITS NOT AS COMPLICATED AS IT MAY SOUND, IN MY CASE
I HAVE THE STATE AND THREE CITY LIC-S.THIS LETS YOU BUY YOUR MATERIALS WITH OUT
PAYING TAX UNTILL YOU CHARGE THE CUSTOMER THE TAX (BASICLY).
MY FIRST YEAR I HAD TO SEND IN MY TAXES MONTHLY THEN THEY PUT ME ON YEARLY
I JUST KEEP ALL MY MONTHLY RECORDS TOGETHER THEN I DROP THEM OFF AT THE CPA
ITS PRETY SIMPLE AND MY CPA ONLY CHARGES ME ABOUT 50.00 PER MONTH.

YOU DONT HAVE TO BE INC. BUT IT CAN BE GOOD INS IF YOU EVER HAVE A PROBLEM, BASICLY BY
BEING INCORPORATED IF SOMEONE SUES YOU THEY ARE SUING YOUR BUSINESS AND CAN ONLY
COLLECT FROM YOUR BUSINESS AND ITS ASSETS, IT PROTECTS ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL PROPERTY
HOUSE, CARS,ETC.
YOU CAN ALSO GO INTO BUSINESS AS A SOLE-PROPRIETOR BUT BY DOING SO YOU TAKE ALL THE
RISK AND CAN LOSE ANY ASSETS YOU HAVE.

YOU MAY ALSO BE REQUIRED TO GET A CONTRACTORS LIC BOTH COMMERCIAL & RESIDENCE
IT DEPENDES ON THE TYPE OF WORK YOU WANT TO DO.

MY ADVISE IS GO FOR IT,BUT BE PREPAIRED YOU CAN HAVE ALL THE EQUIP,CERTS,LIC-S,ETC
IN THE WORLD BUT IT DOSINT GUARANTEE YOU WILL STAY BUSY.IN MY AREA I SEE ABOUT
10 TO 15 NEW WELDING BUSINESSES EACH YEAR AND ABOUT THE SAME NUMBER GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

GOOD LUCK,I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU IN SOME WAY
GUY O
PORTA-WELD

Parent - - By mcwelding (**) Date 10-09-2002 21:32
hey guy,
thanks for the info! i have an appooiintment in 2 weeks with our tax person (cpa). i think what i need is to start a LLC , a limited liability company. ill see what she says. as for staying busy, i work full time for my dad. if i weld on the side an average of 10 hours a week will be great. like i said an average, sometimes i dont do anything for couple of weeks then like this week i have 5 jobs to do. so you do portable welding?? what kind of stuff? last saturday i welded on a combine in the middle of a cornfield, this sat and sun is farm equip. and a backhoe and trailer. who would i call about needing a contractor lic.? anyway, thanks
rich
Parent - By guy (*) Date 10-10-2002 05:52
HI RICH,
IN MY STATE WE HAVE THE ( REGISTRAR OF CONTRACTORS ) FOR YOUR CONTRACTORS LICENSE, CALL THEM
AND THEY WILL SEND YOU A PACKET WITH ALL THE INFO YOU NEED TO GET STARTED OUT AND THEY CAN
EVEN HELP YOU WITH INSURANCE AND STUFF LIKE THAT.

I DO ALL TYPES OF WELDING STRUCTURAL,STAINLESS, AND ALUMINUM. MOST OF MY WORK IS IN THE FIELD
BUT VERY LITTLE IS FARM EQUIP. I GET A LOT OF WAREHOUSE EQUIP REPAIRS, FENCES BOTH NEW & REPAIRS
I ALSO DO A LOT OF RESTAURANT REPAIRS WITH TIG 316 SS. ALUMINUM TRANSMISSIONS, AND VARIOUS
THINGS.
ARE YOU FROM KANSAS BY ANY CHANCE? I SPENT A COUPLE OF YEARS THERE WHILE I WAS IN WELDING SCHOOL
AND WORKED FOR A FEW FARMERS DOING WORK ON COMBINES AND STUFF.BUT NOW I LIVE IN ARIZONA.

BY THE WAY YOUR APPT: WITH A TAX/CPA IS A GREAT IDEA, IAM SURE AFTER YOU TALK WITH THEM YOU WILL
FEEL MORE CONFIDENT ABOUT THE TAXES.

WELL FROM THE LOOKS OF IT YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK,JUST KEEP SEARCHING UNTILL YOU GET ALL THE INFO
YOU NEED.IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU JUST WANT TO START OUT DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT AND BY THE
BOOK, SO KEEP THAT FOCUS AND YOU WILL DO WELL, AND YOU WILL AVOID BEING JUST ANOTHER FLY-BY-NIGHT
COMPANY.
BEST WISHES,
GUY O
PORTA-WELD
MESA,AZ

Parent - - By dee (***) Date 10-10-2002 00:13
There has been some misinformation disseminated here about legal issues concerning trade-names and liabilities and, quite likely, other details as well. While not overtly incorrect, even a mediocre attorney will tell you there are serious exceptions to consider at this stage of planning.

Take a course or consult with an attorney.
Parent - By mkulikow (*) Date 10-10-2002 11:58
And have an accountant in the room with you as well, between the two of them you can iron it out.

Also, you can go to your state's small business office, they usually can tell you exactly what you need in your state.

I opened a sole proprietorship and am registering a trade name. That means I file the taxes for my business on my personal tax return, no hassle. I get a tax exemption on things I buy but have to pay my sales tax quarterly on things I sell to people, which I charge them, but paying quarterly means I have to keep all the tax money together somewhere. I do not give myself a paycheck, only the profits made from each sale, claim those on your taxes, pay the income tax and figure on getting close to %60 of the profits at the end of it all.

This is all for a business out of my home, I also claim 40% of ALL of my house bills (electric, heat, water, etc.) and 70% of my car payments all claimed as a business expense. After all if said and done it comes out to be an awesome part time job.
Parent - - By weldingwagon Date 10-11-2002 00:33
I stated my own welding business two years ago. Like one of the other postings says....be ready for lean times. The first month I officially went full time I grossed $350. I now have a few steady clients and the best advice was already said....be fair and always always always work as hard as you can.

As far as certs go....I only get what I need. I do alot of petroleum tank work so I invested in certs for that.

I also found out that while at first all the jobs were fun there are some not so fun ones. I live in northern wisconsin and welding outside in Feb. is what I consider fun but I dedicated myself to making my business work and doing the not so fun jobs is just as important as the fun ones.

One thing not to do is assume anyting regarding a customers wants. If you can get a print or drawing or have him sign something that says what he wants be sure to do it. I've been stuck with a client telling me...."that's now quite what I envisioned"

Good luck
Eric
Parent - - By mcwelding (**) Date 10-12-2002 19:59
hey,
again thanks! im not from kansas but from south east pa. i talked to the guy who did my certs at work asme sec ix, and he said the aws d1.1 all position will be less than 500.00. he also said that with being a mobile bussiness this is good to have . it makes customers realize you have made the effort to be quality oriented. i will also list that cert on my business cards when i get them. i would think it will make me more marketable. what is the weld position(s) that covers all positions? he wasnt quite sure because he does mostly asme sec ix, but thought it was 5g or 6g and the test will be pipe. anyone familiar with this?? dont think i know what im talkin about cause i dont. the certs i already did at work is asme sec. ix tig zirconium, mig carbon and stainless. how much do you single person businesses pay for insurance? i dont plan on doing any offshore work or refinery stuff. i got prices from 1000-1400 for a million dollars of coverage. i love all the help, keep it coming.
thanks, rich
Parent - By guy (*) Date 10-13-2002 18:03
HI RICH,
6G COVERS ALL POSITIONS IT IS A 45 DEGREE ANGLE AND WAS THE STANDARD TEST THAT I HAD TO TAKE
WHENEVER I WORKED AT POWER PLANTS AROUND THE COUNTRY.AS FOR YOUR CERTS HERE IN AZ I HAVE
GOT SERVERAL CERTS AND I THINK THE MOST I HAVE PAID FOR ANY OF THEM IS ABOUT $180.00, YOU MAY
HAVE ALREADY FOUND A PLACE TO GET YOUR CERTS BUT IF NOT YOU CAN GIVE THIS GUY A CALL AND MAYBE
HE CAN LOCATE A CO.LOCAL TO YOU THAT CAN HELP.

WESTERN TECHNOLOGIES INC.
PHOENIX, AZ.
RANDY FENNELL
602-437-3737
FAX-602-470-1341

WHEN YOU GET YOUR INSURANCE MAKE SURE IT WILL COVER ALL THE DIFFERENT THINGS YOU WILL BE WELDING
ON, MY INSURANCE COST ME ABOUT $1700.00 PER YEAR BUT I HAD TO DO A LOT OF SHOPPING AROUND FOR
IT BECAUSE MOST COMPANIES DONT WANT TO COVER WELDERS. THE FIRST SERVERAL CO'S I TRIED, WOULD
WRITE ME A POLICY BUT THEY WOULD NOT COVER THINGS LIKE; TRAILER HITCHES- REPAIRS ON TRAILERS,
WELDING INDOORS- WAREHOUSES, OR ANY USE OF A CUTTING TORCH. SO BASICLY THEY WOULD COVER A
WELDING COMPANYS GENERAL LIABILITY AS LONG AS I DID NO WELDING (STUPID BUT TRUE).
DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS.
GOOD LUCK,
GUY

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / starting up business, need advice