Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / is a 12 butt and branch an api test?
- - By sae350 (*) Date 11-04-2010 02:05
So I was on a job today talking to one of the inspectors and he told me that the usual 12 on 12 branch and 12 bellhole  are NOT api tests. He said nothing in the api manual says anything about those two tests. He told me that   companys have been testing this ways for years and its just what everyone does. So are there any inspectors out there that can shed some light on this for me, and maybe give me some references in the api manual to look at?
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-04-2010 11:30
In one respect he is right as API does not have "test". But the 1104 12 inch multiple test, butt and branch is required to qualify welders for all pipe sizes and positions. DOT allows welders to be qualified by 1104 or ASME section IX.
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_02/49cfr195_02.html
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/octqtr/49cfr195.222.htm
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/octqtr/49cfr195.214.htm
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/octqtr/49cfr195.228.htm
This is for liquids pipeline but Part 192 for gas lines is the same.
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 11-04-2010 13:05
And also, there is reference to the 12" butt/branch under sec. 6.3.2 - API 1104 20th Ed.

A welder who has successfully completed the butt-weld
qualification test described in 6.3.1 on pipe with an outside
diameter greater than or equal to 12.750 in. (323.9 mm) and a
full-size branch-connection weld on pipe with an outside
diameter greater than or equal to 12.750 in. (323.9 mm) shall
be qualified to weld in all positions; on all wall thicknesses,
joint designs, and fittings; and on all pipe diameters. A welder
who has successfully completed the butt-weld and branch
connection requirements of 6.3.1 on pipe with an outside
diameter less than 12.750 in. (323.9 mm) shall be qualified to
weld in all positions; on all wall thicknesses, joint designs,
and fittings; and on all pipe outside diameters less than or
equal to the outside diameter used by the welder in the qualification
tests.
Parent - By sae350 (*) Date 11-05-2010 01:16
so what is the newest edition of api? Thanks for all the info guys.
Parent - - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 11-04-2010 19:23
Does anybody have pictures of these? I think I understand the terminology.
A branch is just two pieces of pipe, one saddled / couped, and welded 90° to the other?
And a bellhole is just a pipe in a 45° angle, correct? 
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-04-2010 20:15
A standard bell hole weld, or 5G, the pipe is horizontal.
The branch one piece saddled on to another, 12 inch on 12 inch.
A Arkansas bell hole the pipe is at 45 degrees.
In 1104, the butt and branch qualifies for all positions.
Parent - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 11-04-2010 21:45
Bell hole weld = 5G!
So it's an Arkansas bell hole that's the 6G / 45°!
In the structural world you just don't hear these terms. Thanks for clarifying!
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 11-04-2010 23:26
dbig, In the all the years I've welded pipe and tested (almost 30) I have never observed, or done myself a "branch" in the field!!!!!! Contractor always provides Tee fitting , always was afraid/ intimidated to ask when testing why this "fabricated fitting" is never used. Figured a guy like you, thats been around the block as an inspector would know the answer!!!!! Thanks!!!!!! PS. Pittsburgh Home of the STEELERS & PENS !!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-04-2010 23:46
I have about as much time as you do, and in the days of wooden ships and iron men, the company was too cheap to buy a tee, so we cut in a branch. This was low pressure crude oil gathering systems.
Today a pipe to pipe branch weld cannot be used on regulated lines. However, if you have ever put on a weld-o-let you are making the same weld  It is a full penetration butt and fillet cap. On the throat, full, flat and forty-five. On the points full, flush and flat
The test itself is to qualify the welder to make this type of weld out of position.
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 11-05-2010 00:27
dbig, OUCH !!!!! gettin' old fast , Weld-o-lets/ Thread-o-lets hatem' both with a "PASSION". Had a job once on 6" where mech. contr. was supplying all pipe & fittings. (1st mistake I made on that job) Anyway has us run all main line from meter to end of blding. ( 2nd mistake ). Says "call you back when units come in to do branches", calls back mid-Jan. ,"come w/crane set units and do tie-ins". (3rd mistake) Anyway out of about 35 O'lets got two with leaks around bottom shoulder, I guess I wasn't sinking the o'let deep enough/to small hole????? Also had a thread-o-let that the threads just wouldn't seal!!!!! (at least it was inside meter room) After that NEVER used o-lets again. Pittsburgh : Home of the STEELERS!!!!!
Parent - - By sae350 (*) Date 11-05-2010 01:20
Api does not have tests, but you have to do a butt and branch to qualify to weld API. Right? Your a wealth of knowledge bigk.
Parent - - By stanantonio Date 11-05-2010 03:18
No not quite the case. If all youre doing is butt welds you can qualify under just a butt weld test usually 12 inch or if youre doing 6 inch or four inch distrubution all you have to do is a 6 or 4 inch 5G test. The reason for the inverted Tee or branch test or A.K.A the endurance test. To the best of my knowledge is it weeds out the rigwelders from the pipeliners. If I am wrong someone please let me know. I know that when I took my first branch test for my first pipeline that this test beat me up and still have scars to prove it. But I passed and told my self never again will I take this stupid useless test. Now days I still dont like taking it but what took me about a full day to make one then and about three hours now. Its been awhile since I've doug into API but I used to be pretty savy in it. Not sure what the quals is on DOT work. Just recently took a 5G 4inch for a very big distribution company and yet I was doing high pressure live tieins on 2inch. Dosent quite make sense to me. I always thought that the reason for a smaller diameter test is that it qualified you to weld from the size of pipe you tested on and up to unlimited.
Parent - - By stanantonio Date 11-05-2010 03:37
And its company side that makes or writes the wps welder quals. Every company is different. I've welded on DOT lines with no test and 100% X-ray and on the other end of the spectrum a 40 hour weld test for companys like enterprise that put you through a weeks worth of weld testing.
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 11-05-2010 03:41
I would like to learn how to fit up a 12 on 12 branch, just for the knowledge
Parent - - By stanantonio Date 11-05-2010 03:58
Shannon I can help you with that. Its not hard once you figure out how to do it. Hey dont I know you. Is this the Shannon (if I have the name to the person I rember correct) that has a shop there in Williston ND?
There is so much info in how to prepare a branch test and how to go about welding it out its not funny.
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 11-05-2010 04:13
yes sir it's me.
Parent - - By stanantonio Date 11-05-2010 06:58
Not sure if you remeber me. But Shannon but I am the guy that my wife was a pipeline welder up there as well. Back in 2008.
Parent - - By stanantonio Date 11-05-2010 06:59
I stopped and talked to you a few times there at your shop in williston
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 11-05-2010 15:33
yes sir I remember you, are you working up here?
Parent - By stanantonio Date 11-05-2010 21:09
No trying to stay out of north dakota these days. Workin in texas for the winter.
Parent - By Paladin (***) Date 11-05-2010 04:20
I hardly know anything for sure but I would think that the branch would be a fair test for welding  3 way tees and stopper fittings on pipe. I recently qualified with a gas company that required doing the 12inch branch and butt weld (6G) twice. Once with 5P+, then again with 5P+ root and 7018 hot and cap. Their procedure is that all 3 way Tees and Stoppers will be welded with 7018. The good news is that they only re qualify once a year. Another gas company's procedure is 5P+ for everything. Their butt weld is 5G. Re qualify every 6 months.

Weaver, the Pipe Fitters Blue Book shows a lay out for a branch fitting. Also if you search on this forum there should be a fair amount of info how to prepare and weld the branch test. Once you lay out and get a good 12 on 12 branch fit, I would suggest you make a pattern. Some Gas company's will have a pattern you can use but not always. It is possible they could require you to lay it out from scratch too I think.

Floyd
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 11-05-2010 04:03
Gas company I work for tests under two standards. DOT appendix "C": 2-1" butt welds, a 3/4 on 2" to simulate a service tee, and a 6" butt. Qualifies to weld up to 6" and <100psig MAOP. Or API 1104: 12 on 12 branch, 12" butt 5g, and 4 on 12 5g 7018. This allows any size and pressure except on a pressure vessel which requires ASME IX. All of these tests require visual, bend or tensil tests depending on which one. Sounds like each company is a little differant in their requirements. I wonder why they don't standardize since they're all regulated by DOT?
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 11-05-2010 06:14
stanantonio,
A 4" coupon will qualify you from 2" to 12" OD.
Groupings as per API 1104 Clause 6.2.2 are
1  OD less than 2.375"
2  OD from 2.375" through 12.750" OD
3  OD greater than 12.750"

Qualify in one group and you are qualified for all sizes in that group,
It does seem strange that a 12" coupon will qualify you down to 2".
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-05-2010 11:44
A full endurance test is the 5G, branch and sleeve test with LH where liquid id moving through the coupon. That is a test.
On pipelines the tie in welders are the ones that have to do the branch. For field welders working on pipelines, welders have to qualify on the branch because they may be required to do welds other than butt welds.
Back to the o-lets. A butt weld test does not qualify a welder for o-lets. And if you have to put one on the side or bottom of pipe, the 5G and 6G does not replicate the weld or position this weld is being done in.
And as a inspector and a former welder, when you see a welder do a branch and butt in less than 6 hours, and pass, the test you know you are seeing a craftsman. To me learning how to lay out and fit a branch is a mark of a tradesman. The fact one would never install one on a live line any more is beside the point. In addition to the out of position welding it test the welders ability to cut and fit. I am not telling anyone that has welded in the patch something new, but if you are 50 miles from town, it is good to know the welder you have on your job can do more than butt welds.
I have had welders bellyache about companies that require the welders to qualify on a open root 7018. Why do that when a tig root and HP with a LH fill is a 'better"weld.
Case in point. Fourth of July. Cracked weld on compressor bottle on a sour gas compressor. In a compressor shed with the wind blowing through the shed. If the welder did not have the skills to make the open root LH weld, the gas company would be down for days if not weeks to get the bottle out, send it to a shop for welding and return and re-install. Instead six hours later the compressor is up and running.
What gets me is most welders have the skills to make a open root LH weld and a branch weld. As a inspector and company rep, when a welder rolls up on a job site, I want to know the welder can do what needs to be done and has proven his skills and abilities to provide the services I need.
If the test was not given, how would I know the welder has the skills or abilities.
Ask the welder?
If you ever get into inspection and test, oh four or five welders, you will find out some are better than others and while a welder will never lie, some will miss-represent the truth. That is why welders get tested. And on any day a good welder can bust a test and a lousy welder can pass one.
Parent - By Sberry (***) Date 11-05-2010 18:03
That is why welders get tested. And on any day a good welder can bust a test and a lousy welder can pass one.
  I will agree with that 100%. have seen it more than once. I never liked taking tests, passed them ok but haven't tested in so long would be so nervous you would have a hard time driving a pin up my azz with a jackhammer but would come up to warp speed in production in short order.
Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 11-06-2010 01:30
A full endurance test is the 5G, branch and sleeve test with LH where liquid id moving through the coupon. That is a test

I took a "sleeve" test about 2 years ago. It was an Arkansas bellhole with water running thru it and LH rods. Pulled 32 straps out of it, I was sweating that one a little :)
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 11-06-2010 01:45
dbigk, How many welders over your years have "claimed" to never busted a test????? I personally STILL bust and have as many busts as years of welding!!!!! I know at least a 1/2 dozen I have met in the Marcellus patch that claim they NEVER busted a test. ( I say B.S., but I'm not going to make any enemies over it!!!!) Pittsburgh home of the STEELERS and PENS!!!!
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-06-2010 23:58
I have never kept count of the number who have claimed to have never busted, but I have only had one that could still make the claim after they tested.
Anyone who has chased pipelines for a year or more bust at least one. If they have not, they have not tested much or telling a lie. And it is a matter of numbers. If you are testing 2 times a month, the law of averages will catch up with you. Again, a great welder can bust a test and a lousy welder can pass one on any given day.
Parent - - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 11-06-2010 02:25
That is a touture test not endurance lol have took it many times for hot taps and wouldn't let us cut straps with torch
Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 11-06-2010 02:50
Yeah, I had to use a circular metal cutting saw (skill saw) to cut mine. That was the worst part of the test.
- By joe pirie (***) Date 11-06-2010 01:54
if youv'e never busted a test you haven't taken enough
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / is a 12 butt and branch an api test?