Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Pre cast parking garages
- By clutch (*) Date 11-05-2010 01:01
I was wondering if anyone had any bad experiences with parking garages. The one I'm working on at this time is an inspection nightmare. Not only am I forced to inspect in a dirty dark invironment, but now I'm finding throat cracks all over the place. I first thought it was a temperature issue, then transverse stess issue but I'm now leaning toward the welders technique. I know there using galvanized plates I havent seen any one them groundl Its always the same joint. I could be wrong, it may be stress related. Just curious if anyone else had this cracking issue on parking garages.
- By Bob Garner (***) Date 11-05-2010 20:21
One of the problems I've seen with some precast parking garages is that they are not always detailed for normal temperature expansion and contraction.  In some cases, 80% of the precast girder or deck beam welds fail at the seats.  It is usually the worst at the top floor which experiences the most weather/sunshine.  It doesn't matter since there is usually lots of "seat" for the beam to sit on and nothing falls down.  But a decent earthquake will bring them down  (in Southern California, at least).

Does this sound like what your are seeing?

I can't believe they welded without grinding the galvanizing, though.

Bob
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Pre cast parking garages