Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TDW vs Blackhawk
- - By TRC (***) Date 11-05-2010 12:46
Has anyone switched from TDW to Blackhawk hot tap fittings? Have you found the quality of Blackhawk to be equal to or better than TDW?
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 11-06-2010 01:14
My company switched and they are NOT as good as TDW. We had all kinds of fits with tapping them especially the 4" three ways. We had a couple close calls with the completion plugs, one actually blew out after it was installed because the guy thought he had it down in the seating groove but it was actually caught under the pancake valve. Big surprise when he loosened up the pancake and had 80 pounds blowing out. Another time we had one that the completion plug would not relax so we could retrieve it out of the 3 way. You have to do a lot of checking and double checking to make sure everything is just right before you set or retrieve your plugs. Make sure you go by all your measurements. From a welding standpoint I don't think they fit the pipe as well as the TDW either. My experience has been mostly with 2" and 4". But they are cheap compared with TDW, so you will probably get stuck with working with them, like it or not.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TDW vs Blackhawk