Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Overhead 7018 help
- - By ben carroll Date 11-05-2010 19:37
So Ive tried changing my angle like my teacher told me to and i just cannot avoid undercut! Im runnin at 112 amps with 1/8 e7018 on a T. Im layin nice dimes but still some undercut! any help would be greatly appreciated. THanks!
Parent - By mightymoe (**) Date 11-05-2010 23:00
See post by superflux "4F Bead Sequence"
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-06-2010 00:29
Hello Ben, part of the issue might be the "nice dimes" that you referred to in your post. E7018 is a rod that is generally either run with no manipulation or if it is manipulated it is done in such a manner that none of the motion is in a "whipping" fashion as might be indicated by your "dimes" comment. Instead, any manipulation should be smooth and steady and possibly encompass pauses, however not generally in the overhead position. I do seem to recall the post that mightymoe referred to by Superflux and believe it includes some really good suggestions. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 11-06-2010 00:59
Current is low if your meter is correct.  A soft arc easily wanders.  I'd try turning it up a bit.  I seldom run 1/8 7018 below 125, almost never below 120.

On the last bead of each layer, rub the coating on the upper side of the rod against the upper piece of base metal.  You pretty much want as short an arc on the upper toe of that bead as you can get.

Intermitently going back slightly on the puddle is great for curing undercut on cover passes.  Works wonderful on cover passes for groove welds too.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 11-06-2010 12:07 Edited 11-06-2010 12:11
What angle did you change? I have to remind my crew pretty often that welding is not a spectator sport, you need to get you face as close as it takes to see what is really going on. In simple terms, you need to slow down and wait for the undercut to fill in and carry on from there at a steady pace to "hold what you got".

To do so you need to get you head and eyes in the right place to be able to see the trailing edge as well as where you are headed. You stick your face in so you have a real good view and it wont be long until you can develope a feel for it and you will not need to get in as close.

Oh yea BTW what Blaster said!! I always run Overhead hotter than any other position.
Parent - By sjsevier (*) Date 12-23-2010 01:10
I agree with RonG, position yourself to where you can see, dont weld blind.  I hold my angle just like im runnin flat position, my heat is 120 or more with no whipping or weave or anything like that.  I run just like im running flat consistant speed and arc length.  I also find a place to prop up my left arm to steady myself
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 11-19-2010 02:28
hey ben. the best way i have come across the 7018 t joints in any position. when you run your stringers, make little bitty steps, kinda like running a 6010, but now watch for your puddle to tie in on the sides. and when you see it tie in take another step forward then step back to watch it tie in again. me i have found this works great. but note you do have to watch your sides of the puddle. i kinda like to pull back on the rod a bit but not to much to make spatter. i find this will help you. let me know what happens
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-19-2010 14:15
The old rule of thumb for 7018 is weld the sides let the middle take care of itself. Many do this by holding on the side, many do it by a reverse U step weave.
Parent - - By sjsevier (*) Date 12-23-2010 00:57
I was taught to never weave an overhead 7018 bead.  Is this correct
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-23-2010 16:02
Weaving 7018 overhead is, in my experience, far more common than stringers. And perfectly acceptable.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-23-2010 16:19
Part of the answer to that would depend upon the size of the rod and how wide you try to weave.  I like to weave overhead but not very wide.  And if the material is not very thick you may end up putting too much heat into it if using wrong technique per electrode size, amps, etc.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By clinkerforge (*) Date 11-19-2010 13:49
You can see undercut when you are welding there will be a dark line on the side of the weld puddle, this means that you are moving too fast you need to pause on that upper side and use the short arc as mentioned above, use motion to control the weld profile (weave)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Overhead 7018 help