Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld Inches Per Minute Travel Speed
- - By dantheman21477 Date 09-20-2002 17:10
I just have a quick question for you guys. I am curious to hear your recomendations for good, average, and poor weld speeds. To be a little more detailed. I am curious to see how much welding can be done in one minute's time. Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Parent - - By Dave (**) Date 09-20-2002 18:31
Your "little more detailed" really adds no detail at all. Depending on the process and parts to be welded there is a tremendous range of weld deposition rates. Manual GTAW of small intricate parts may have only a few ounces of weld deposition per hour while a multi-electrode ESW may deposit over 100 lbs. per hour! The same goes for travel speeds, they are process and material specific. So, be a "little more detailed" and I'm sure others will reply with what you can reasonably expect.
Parent - - By dantheman21477 Date 09-20-2002 19:04
No reason to do any flaming there Dave. I am just trying to get some information. I left a lot of details out to allow you to be as flexible with your responses as possible. For some guidance lets just say light structural, Carbon Steel 1020. What I am trying to find out is if I came in and set down two pieces of steel in front of you which were 15 feet long 4 inches wide and .25 thick, how long on average would it take you to make those pieces one? What process would you recommend?

Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 09-20-2002 20:44
Dan, without being rude this is like talking to my teenage daughter about where she is going tonight.
1) Are you welding them in the 15' direction?
2) Are you welding CJP OR PJP?
3) Any preference on the size of electrode we use?
4) Do you have any preference on the process we use?
5) Are we concerned with distortion? Or are we just welding for fun?

I think I know what you want, but anyone who just throws an answer out (and it may be correct), will have 10 people with legitimate reasons why there is a better way to do it. Well, let the recriminations begin....

If you brought it to me at my shop and asked me to weld it together in the 15' direction with little distortion and a complete penetration joint, I am going to weld it flat with a gap, lots of tack welds, maybe a strong back or two and I will weld both sides alternately to help control distortion (and we will probably not be entirely successful in stopping distortion, complete distortion control costs more). I will use GMAW in spray transfer mode or FCAW (whichever is more convenient at the time), .045 wire and I am going to charge you for about half a day, say $225.00 - Does this help?

Just for fun,
Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - By dantheman21477 Date 09-20-2002 21:01
Very funny Mike :-)

- "For fun" lets say your right with the 15' direction
- Complete Joint Penetration should be sufficient
- Electrode is your choice
- Process is your choice
- Distortion.... Let's not get crazy here and hold some tight tolerance, but a little distortion is accetable.

Thanks a lot for your input. I really appreciate it.
Parent - By dee (***) Date 09-20-2002 21:55
Dan,
Directing your attention to robotic programs and parameters may satisfy your perhaps theoretical but unwieldy question.

Appending Mike's response, I have a feeling they will tell you what you want to know about maximum theoretical limits over a variety of variables, unless you suspect a welder overcharged you time for a recent job they did for you.

Engineering or mechanical factors as Mike described as well as other human factors will naturally detract from maximum potentials.

Regards,
d
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 09-21-2002 00:29
Welding speeds are dependent upon the deposition rate of the process Say 1lb per hour*the production factor say .5*the deposition efficiency of the process .65. These are just random values but one major variable is the production factor. This can vary widely with the configuration of the piece being welded, slag removal, changing electrodes and preheating or staying below a maximum interpass.

In an answer to your question and don't take offense but this is the truth, I do about a minutes worth of welding every minute. This may not include 1 minute of arc time since I have to chip slag, change rods, inspect my weld etc. However, it is still a minutes worth of welding.

There are formulas, spreadsheets, programs available that help to compare production rates for welding and to calculate the amount of weld in a given joint however without a basic understanding of the variables to be entered and how they are used, they are of little use. The AWS Welding handbook volume one has some good information on welding production and another book by the Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation has similar information.

Deposition rates are easy. Calculating the volume per unit length is pretty easy, the deposition efficiency can be learned by testing, the production factor is the ratio of time spent actually welding/Time spent on the joint or piece.

Good day

Gerald Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-23-2002 10:40
I think you are getting the idea that no one wants to say how long a weld will take because there are too many variables. Process, electrode size, amps/volts settings, groove configuration, groove fit-up uniformity, the position welded in, type of shielding, welder's skill, welder fatigue, welding environment (heat/cold), all these things have a major influence on how fast a weld can be run. And my list is far from complete.

I can share some info I have accumulated thru testing. Our FCAW PQRs are run with 0.045 wire. The parameters are around 28V, 260A, 12.6 ipm using 100% CO2 shielding, flat groove. The parameters vary a bit with different brands of wire. Please realize, these numbers are on the high side because we have to achieve 5/16" fillets in horizontal position with one pass. The parameters don't work well for many grooves with any root opening. And they are too hot for vertical and overhead under our circumstances. (I will bet that if other people gave their parameters here, you would have a large "cookbook" and none of the "recipes" will work for every situation.)

Also I can tell you that we have experimented with a data logger placed on the machines of many different welders over a period of time, in our fab shop. It was very interesting to learn that the arc was on for only about 1 hour total in an 8 hour shift. Some welders were a little less, some a little more but none were far from the average. And these guys were not slacking off, all the "down time" was for legitimate things like chipping slag, facing off a weld, preheating, etc. The highest arc time numbers came from a job with heavy plate CJP welds where the welder didn't have to move around much.

So there you have some numbers, but I think you can see they don't do much good unless you are doing exactly the same work as we do. If you want to predict how long your weld joint will take, do like most people do- make a mock-up joint and weld it. Then remember that most mock-ups are run under "ideal" conditions so they may underestimate the time.
Hope you find what you're lookin' for
CHGuilford
Parent - - By dantheman21477 Date 09-23-2002 11:16
Well Everyone,

Thanks a lot for all of your help. Looking at all of your answers it has giving me a little bit more of an insight to the welding process. I work with many different weld/fab shops, and I am sometimes frustrated with the wildly varying time estimates that I get back from them when I have a job quoted. I was attempting to see if there were any "rule of thumb," guidelines that you had, but I guess not. Again, thanks to everyone who offered suggestions!
Parent - By boilermaker (**) Date 09-23-2002 20:08
Dan, like has been stated before, it varies, but I'll give a little time frame with FCAW-G that I have...Assuming decent conditions, with a full spool of wire in the wirefeeder and a full bottle of C25 mix, a welder with a steady pace and "acceptable" weld deposition should be able to weld somewhere in the neighborhood of 140 feet plus in the 3G postion in a 10 hour day. Like I said "acceptable" means the weld is nowhere near perfect, but can pass inspection. I use that as a basis for when I'm under the hood, so that way, I know if I'm running the machine right...about 20 feet in 15 minutes is as fast as I've seen...it's very dependant upon the welder.
Parent - By rhoople (*) Date 10-08-2002 18:38
Sounds to me like you're trying to estamate a job here. I usualy give the time at 6" per min. using the GMAW process, and using .035" ER70S-6 wire, ARG - CO2 (75%-25%). Given the info. you provided, that would be my best guestamate.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld Inches Per Minute Travel Speed