Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / LN-25
- - By 12vstrokethis (**) Date 11-08-2010 03:12
I'm looking into an ln 25 or ln 15 or something like it please let me know your opinions please
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-08-2010 03:39
Hello 12vstrokethis, the LN-25 is one of the best voltage sensing feeders with it's lengthy track record, the new 12vs from Miller is also really good and I would run either one of them. Possible advantage with the Miller is it's standard drive rolls, they are the same as just about any other Miller feeder. Both can be run either CC or CV and can be outfitted with internal contactors and gas solenoids if needed. Just my $.02. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By crahner (**) Date 11-08-2010 04:35
Great feeders.  There is a structural guy that I have worked for as single hand and rig hand that is upgrading all of his LN-22's to 25's.  He is selling the 22's for $250.00 each, with gun and 5/64 drive rolls. 
This is a cheap way to get into a feeder.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 11-08-2010 04:36
I think the LN 25 is an excellent machine.  What is your application?
- By 12vstrokethis (**) Date 11-09-2010 02:47
What is the main difference in ln 25 ln 22? I will be mainly using it in my shop I want to be able to run it off my  200d and my ideal arc.
- - By 12vstrokethis (**) Date 11-09-2010 02:49
What is the main difference in ln 25 ln 22? I will be mainly using it in my shop I want to be able to run it off my  200d and my ideal arc. I do oil field construction so I might use it in the field one day.....
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-09-2010 03:13
Sounds like You need a voltage sensing feeder to use with Your CC machines. If You are doing code work, be sure that You can use a CC power supply without undue grief.
Parent - By crahner (**) Date 11-09-2010 03:57
The 22 will only take 14 lb rolls.  I run them off of my 1975 miller big 40.  they are a voltage sensing unit and run nice with CC.  I passed by 3g and 4g certs using this set up and lincoln nr 211 wire.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 11-09-2010 04:06
Do you have a CV Module for your 200D? If not I would recommend getting one. The LN25 is a great feeder and most wires need CV to run properly. The Miller 12VS is a better feeder IMO, pull the stickers off it if Blue makes others cringe....

What wire type(s) and size(s) do you want to use?

Stay with the LN25 it is smaller and more portable than the LN22 easier to stow in a rig truck.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-09-2010 07:33
Hello 12vstrokethis, I believe the LN-22 is CC only and the LN-25 can be used for either CC or CV. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 12vstrokethis (**) Date 11-10-2010 03:03
Isn't the 25 control what a vont does? And where would a good place to start for setting these machines on my 200? What would be the main difference in argon and a 75/25 mix? And thanks for all the help
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-10-2010 03:39
You need to use the gas or gas mix that is proper for the wire You are running. Some flux core dual shield wires use straight CO2, while some use argon/CO2 mixes of varying percentage.

I don't think You will be able to run solid wire in short circuit transfer with a CC machine, so for solid wire You would want a gas mix that works for spray transfer, more than 80% argon with a little [10-15%] CO2 or even less [1-2%] O2.

If You choose the right dual shield wire [if the choice is Yours] You can run spray transfer with solid wire or the dual shield with the same gas.

Self shielded wire is used in a lot of outdoor work as it tolerates wind better.

I don't have a LN25 or an SA200, so I don't know what the settings are.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 11-10-2010 04:31
We need to know what wire you are intending to use in order to answer your questions.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-10-2010 05:21
Dave gave you a really good rundown on some of the basics regarding your question and as weldwade added, knowing which wire, diameter, and a few other details would help with additional information and actual "mean" settings.
     I am making an "assumption" here, that being, that your SA 200 is CC only and not equipped for CV output. You can run self-shielded flux cored wires on it, but you'll have a much more difficult time dialing the performance of the wire in and if you are doing any sort of code type work you will need to qualify the weld procedure as there are not pre-qualified ones available. Solid wires in short-circuiting transfer that are done with a CC driven voltage sensing feeder will not yield desirable results due to an incompatable volt/amp curve to properly drive the LN-25 and provide the correct volt/amp output for the solid wires when they are to be operated in short-circuiting parameters.  ESAB has some really good information to explain this further and it is very straight-forward and easily understandable. I have attached the link below.
Good luck and best regards, Allan

http://www.esabna.com/us/en/newsletters/Using-Cored-Wires-with-Voltage-Sensing-Wire-Feeders.cfm
Parent - - By 12vstrokethis (**) Date 11-10-2010 12:46
I would like to run .035 hard wire to be honest. The way I was explained was that the on 25 didn't need the voltage control and that was why the little wire was on it
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 11-11-2010 03:36
Yes the LN-25 will "operate" on either CC or CV. However it will not run .035 hard wire worth a darn using a CC powersource like your 200D.  If you want to run hard wire you will need a CV poursource if you don't want a bunch of headaches! Add a CV module to your 200D and you will be more than happy.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 11-10-2010 13:58
Again please note the ESAB link has it backwards, in CC "if the voltage is too high turn down the wire feed speed". No, change it to read - turn the wire feed speed up or increase the wire feed speed to decrease the arc length and voltage.
It has been a while since using a dual control, range and fine current adjustment machine. but, using the CC output I would propose the lowest range setting and the highest fine current setting. This will lower the open circuit voltage and produce a flatter volt amp curve/slope. If someone could verify this with volt meter & amp meter and note the volt sensing feeder's arc characteristic of a steep vs flatter slope on CC and post it would be appreciated.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / LN-25