Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Welding cast
- - By Jstiehl6766 Date 11-08-2010 04:23
I understand that welding cast metal is becoming a lost art, that being so, I am looking for any helpful tips on the subject. Depending on the cast type, I am told that I should use a high percentage nickel rod(Nirod?). Also, what Pre and post heating procedures should I follow?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 11-08-2010 12:32
Hey Jstiehl,
Are you referencing data for this type of information? Is your query a homework assignment?

Denny
Attachment: rollsmani1.jpg (0B)
Attachment: rollsmani2.jpg (0B)
Attachment: rollsmani3.jpg (0B)
Attachment: rollsmani4.jpg (0B)
Attachment: rollsmaniA1.jpg (0B)
Attachment: rollsmaniA2.jpg (0B)
Attachment: rollsmaniA3.jpg (0B)
Attachment: rollsmaniA5.jpg (0B)
Attachment: rollsmaniA6.jpg (0B)
Attachment: rollsmaniA7.jpg (0B)
Attachment: rollsmaniA8.jpg (0B)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-08-2010 13:25
Denny,

Does this make you a lost artist?
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 11-08-2010 15:38
Hey Law,
Hmmmmm...... been contemplating. Wonder if my handle should be changed to "yorkiepicasso".

Denny
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-08-2010 16:12
Picasso was a hack

I like Claude Monet...... I favor impressionisim in my old age.

Not to be confused by the also excellent Édouard Manet (who died of syphilis)
Parent - By klapine5897 Date 11-12-2010 19:11
This site might be helpful http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/castironpreheat.as. I used this site for information when I had chunk of my engine snapped off when my transmission shattered.  It wasn't in a critical spot so I prepped it and and spent a wile grinding it. Then I used a compound to seal up the visible crack that accrued in a small area and so far It holds up probably because like I said it wasn't that critical of a spot.
- By Greg Date 02-14-2011 23:17
As a former alloy salesman, you need to know what type of cast you are welding .Usually a spark test might tell you if it is grey ,mallable or ductile. A high nickle rod is best  and try to keep the temp UNDER 500 degrees.Drill stop any cracks and prepare with a deep bevel .Skip weld to tack . and watch your color.Nickle rods are very soft and flow very well so a lower temp is ok .(Remember UNDER 500) So take your time and allow it to cool down. For post weld you might need to "peen" your weld to relieve stess.DONT put your weldment under sand or a blanket or anything that might harbor moisture.
Also dont be afraid to spend higher dollars on a good alloy,The higher the nickle the better the end result will be . GOOD  LUCK !
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Welding cast