Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / RE Another possible use for your oxy-acet torch
- - By weldstudent (**) Date 11-09-2010 03:40
So after reading the post "Another possible use for your oxy-acet torch", i decided to try to remove a backing bar with an oxidizing flame. First i tried a Victor #2, i attempted to start on the side of a 1" x 3/8" A36 backing bar. The attempt worked some-what, but mainly i made a mess. So i decided to try a scarfing tip, even worse results, purley do to my lack of experience. In the process of trying to figure-out what i was doing my instructor came over and decided to try. He, having read the post also, was just as skilled at this technique as i was. He put the #2 back in the torch and after about 1/4" he had the technique mastered. He removed about 1/3 of the backing bar. So using the same technique my teacher just used i removed the rest of the backing bar. worked good. Start at the top and make circles, don't try to burn out the full width of the backing bar. With little practice and a lot of patients, because this is comparatively a slow process, anyone can use this technique to remove welds or backing bars. I like the process because the flame will not accidentally dig into the base metal.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-09-2010 07:51
Hello weldstudent, glad to hear that you and your instructor had some fun trying out something new. I have used that technique for over 30 years and it has save me a lot of time and effort on many an occasion. If you have the time, check out the other topics in the "Tricks of the Trade" section, many others have shared little tidbits of information that can make your life in the trades just a bit easier. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 11-10-2010 20:42
Hi Allan

Ever had any luck beveling with that technique?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-10-2010 22:33
Hello Blaster, I would say no to the bevelling aspect and yes to grooving out cracks, if that makes sense. Best regards, Allan
- - By boilermaker (**) Date 11-17-2010 11:18
Here's another trick...if you don't have a bench grinder to sharpen tungsten with, use an oxidizing flame and sharpen the tungsten that way.  End result is that you don't have the fine metal particles on the tungsten resulting in longer tungsten life, and the point can be as long as you want.  Works great when you're in a boiler and don't want to crawl out of the hole to finish 1 weld!
Parent - By weldstudent (**) Date 11-23-2010 01:19
can you give a bit more detail on the proper way to do this. I will try if i can just to see how it works.
Parent - By Fritz T Katt (**) Date 11-23-2010 01:35
Wouldn't using an oxy fuel torch displace the atmosphere in the boiler rather quickly, resulting in your untimely death?
- - By Sberry (***) Date 11-17-2010 21:46
Another trick when hand beveling plates or even ends of pipes on occasion is to cut from sharp edge of plate, kind of reverse of what one would do with a machine, you can maintain the straight edge and often get a good land.
Attachment: untitled.JPG (7k)
Parent - By sjsevier (*) Date 12-23-2010 00:36
What do you mean cut from the sharp edge of hte plate?
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 11-20-2010 21:08
Try a bulk head cutting tip. Flat on top and bottom bent like a scarfing tip three holes. The middle hole is the high pressure. 40 to 60 psi oxy. and 10 psi act. It preheats quick and washes down to about 1/16" with a little practice.

Dennis
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 11-21-2010 19:35
I think Victor calls their version of that a rivet cutting tip.  Anyhow those are awesome for cutting off bolt heads or nuts, and I like them for beveling too.
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 11-25-2010 06:17
I agree, they work great for beveling especially when the client is wanting you to re-use flanges from demo pipe.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / RE Another possible use for your oxy-acet torch