Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / welder certification
- - By willbergj (**) Date 11-09-2010 18:16
i currently teach welding technology at a high school and i have my cwi, i currently teach the sense 1-3 curriculumn.  i have had some students from other local high schools ask if i could train and certify them.  my question is; do i have that authority and how may i go about this?

thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-09-2010 19:19 Edited 11-09-2010 19:56
An easy way to accomplish something like this would be to do basic D1.1 prequalified WPS associated with the D1.1 section 4 testing criteria, and if they pass, you then may produce a "Welder Performance Qualification Test Report".... 

This simply states that the student was tested in accordence with the code and was succsessful..

A report could be in a MS Word style doccment with a colored watermark that states something like:
"For Education Purposes Only... Not for Production"

This way you are not stepping on the toes of independent testing labs in your region... It lets prospective employers know that the person has passed a test and may be ready to pass another one in order to have in-house qualification. 

It also keeps manufacturers/contractors honest in that they can't put welders on code work using a qual/cert that is not directly linked to their own production WPS's.  The example I've attached *purposfully* would not stand up to a production audit.

Edit:  This is just my opinion on what I think is a reasonable way to let students show a portfolio of training they have accomplished... The issue of taking on students from other schools is something that would have to be resolved by your district.
Attachment: ExampleLimitedSMAW.pdf (77k)
Parent - - By willbergj (**) Date 11-09-2010 20:34
thanks
is there a way a person can weld a test coupon and have a cwi sign for authentisity?  the young man is an excellent welder and would be successful on a test coupon, but wants to go to work not school, however he wants to be "certified".
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-10-2010 02:41 Edited 11-10-2010 02:48
Sure

You  can generate a test report and put your stamp on it if thats what you want to do.  As long as your testing method and reporting is compliant with the code I see no problem at  all.

If the test report has your signature on it, that makes it a "certificate".    Not to be mistaken for an accredited test facility type cert.

Being certified and not being employed has little value beyond possibly getting your foot in the door for a test. 

I'm not going to burn many calories simply because a lad wants to say he is certified...  But...If he is as good as you say, than he will land on his feet and his employer will spring for his production certs.  What you want to do may help.

Edit:   Not even out of high school and not wanting any more training sounds unwise unless they are going to be working under the wing of an expert as a helper or apprentice...  Being able to pass a test without any further skills is a recipie for taking a sharp tool and holding him back because he lacks, math, communications, print reading, safety, electrical theory and multi-process  welding  skills.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / welder certification