Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS C3.7:2005 Clarification
- - By LISA QA DIR. Date 11-09-2010 21:03
First time on the forum and I could use some help understanding AWS C3.7/2005 on page 2, 3. Terms and Definitions: Organization Having Quality Responsibility.   Is the Organization my customer or is it me and my company?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-27-2010 19:52
Lisa,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Your question may have been better off in the 'Brazing & Soldering' section farther down the line here on the forum.

Since it is here and no one else appears to be helping, I don't have C3.7 nor do I work within it.  But, as many of the Codes are similar in the Definitions arena I would say there would be a couple of questions to clear up YOUR position.

1) Are you QA for a fabricator, or for a TPI company operating as a customer representative?
2) Is there a responsibility issue that you are looking to resolve through the code?
3) Is there a quality issue that is being challenged?

Personally, I would say that the OHQR could be either and/or both.  A fabricator's QA should have certain responsibilities as to calling out Acceptance/Rejection products.  So should the customer's reps rather a direct employee or a TPI. 

Without knowing more about the context of the quote and the application it is hard to tell.  Your question leaves a wide application range without more details.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By HELLTACO (*) Date 11-29-2010 14:03
welderbrent,  I answered her becuse no one else would. I did my best to say the same thing you did.  why you call me a no one?  I thought you were a nice guy I even like you but thats noy nice
- - By HELLTACO (*) Date 11-27-2010 15:46
Hi Lesa welcome to the BEST WELDING EORUM IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!!

some one will be right with you to tell you all about your question and stuff in a minut.  but I cud tell you some stuff now.  QA means quality assurence thats the guy what looks at the stuff and makes you fix it if its no good.  most girls no about cooking and stuff but some go to work cus their dudes need a little help then they can ask about it on the internet.  I think it is your dudy to look at the stuff and the custamer should look at it to.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-29-2010 14:52
Don't you just love "weasel words?"

Similar terminology is used in D17.1 and it causes havoc in the aerospace sector as well.

Some companies interpret the meaning to be the entity that has design responsibilities and dictates the level of quality required for joints subjected to different loading conditions and service requirements. Others interpret it to mean the entity that is doing the work and has quality control responsibilities to ensure the customer's requirements are met. I've seen it go either way, i.e., the customer retains control or they pass the responsibility to the vendor doing the work.

My suggestion is to have a conversation with your customer to identify who has the quality responsibility and use that determination for the entire contract.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS C3.7:2005 Clarification