Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / multiple certs, dual codes IX ASME and 1104
- - By firstpass (**) Date 11-10-2010 00:01
I have been introduced to a new scenario that I have not seen and need some clarification.  The client company administers qualification test to qualify the welders.  One Test is Downhill with F3 all the way out on 2.375x .344 WT.  The 2nd test is a uphill open root with 7016 all the way out.

Now the actual WPS that they will weld to allows 6010 F3 to go either way up/down.  And uphill with 7018..

Vertical progression is an essential variable for welder performance.  1104  and Section IX.

How can a welder who has taken the above test be qualified to weld uphill with F 3 when he took the test with 7018.
In section 9 QW 433  F4 W/O backing qualifies W/O backing only.  F 3 W/O backing qualifies W/O backing F3 only.

Am I missing something.   Please help clarify.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 11-10-2010 05:06
Firstpass,
I would presume that a combination of welds could be achieved with these welder qualifications.
The two options used for the original tests plus :
Vertical down root with F3 - vertical up fill & cap with F4
Vertical up root with F4 - vertical down fill and cap with F3

Just remember - just because the WPS allows vertical up or vertical down doesn't mean the welder can follow suit.
The welder is still governed by the essential variables of the original welder qualification,
Hope that helps,
Regards,
Shane
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / multiple certs, dual codes IX ASME and 1104