Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Classification Levels
- - By welderla (*) Date 11-11-2010 00:35
I am starting a new fab shop and i have a lot of experienced welders and unexperienced welders, new, old and all of them have passed the qualification tests to get into the shop.  However even if you pass a 3G, 4G, or 6GR, some of them still have a difficult time welding a simple horizontal tee-joint.  Is there a standard classification system of how i can group these welders into three separate groups; best, ok, worst?  Is there a definiation of what these groups would be like NDE certs, you have a level I, II, and III and those are based on experience and so on....  Can anyone help me?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-11-2010 04:05
AWS has a program for testing welders.  It has three levels: QC10, Specification for Qualification and Registration of Level I- Entry Welders; QC11, Specification for Qualification and Certification for Level II- Advanced Welders; and QC12, Specification for Qualification and Certification for Level III- Expert Welders.

It has it's pro's and con's.  Not a bad program and at least gives you a knowledge and skills base to establish different levels and pay grades. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 11-11-2010 17:30
Our welder level requirements are defined in Class A, Class B, and Class C Welder job descriptions, with pay ranges corresponding accordingly.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 11-11-2010 20:05 Edited 11-11-2010 20:10
I think that is a great idea.  "Hope" is the key to peace and happiness in society and in the workplace.  If a welder knows he can move up and earn more by putting out the effort to accomplish certain things, even if he chooses not to do so, I think it goes a long ways towards keeping an air of fairness and respect within the company among the employees.

The source of a lot of grousing is two guys getting paid the same when one is obviously more skilled and/or more productive.  An unknown or unclear road for advancement is a reflection of poor company leadership.  Awarding a bit of status to the best guys also may pay some dividends in employee satisfaction and retention.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 11-11-2010 20:10
Pay ranges for each job description are also posted.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 11-11-2010 20:13
That's awesome.

Hard to believe in some companys pay rates are hush-hush.  Seems aweful slippery to me.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-15-2010 03:16 Edited 11-15-2010 03:36
Here's my take...

If you really want to sort them out properly according to pay rate, etc., then test them in such a manner prior to hiring them in the first place. ;)

In other words, if you're a welding engineer, and this is your own shop, then you can test them to whatever you want them to and according to the types of joints most likely found in your shop as well as tests that are designed for what you may see in future work...

It doesn't matter what they were qualified to previously because in your shop, the quals they had do not reflect the WPS's you're working to anyway... So test them to WPS's you know will be used in your shop and add any other type of WPS which may reflect the type of future work you may be going after. ;)

The set of definitions you're looking for cannot be found in only one body of knowledge... However, the AWS does have the specifications as well as the guidelines as Brent mentioned previously, and I would only add that the guidelines should be studied and the performance qualification tests looked at in detail for guidance:

http://files.aws.org/education/sense/sense_presentation.pdf

Here are the guidelines:

https://www.awspubs.com/product_info.php?products_id=757

https://www.awspubs.com/product_info.php?cPath=432&products_id=207

https://www.awspubs.com/product_info.php?cPath=432&products_id=208

These guidelines can help you determine which type of single test you want to come up with to use in your own shop... An easy way of weeding out the "wannabee's. ;)"

The NCCER has similar guidelines that can be compared to these... So if any of your potential new hires do not have any type of training that follows whatever level you pick to choose as your minimum entry level type of welder/fabricator, then you simply do not hire them if they do not meet your minimum qualification level.

As a welding engineer, this shouldn't be too much of an issue for you to handle... So handle it! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
- - By welderla (*) Date 11-12-2010 17:59
Thanks all for your help but what i am realy after is a difinition of the different levels.  Can anyone help me there?
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 11-15-2010 00:06
There's no standard classification system that I'm aware of.  You need to be the one who defines the levels.  It could be as simple as this:

A Class C Welder is certified in 1F, 2F, 1G, 2G

A Class B Welder is certified in 1F, 2F, 3F, 3G

A Class A Welder is certified in 1F, 2F, 3F, 4F, 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G

You could add other items such as:

the process.... FCAW, GMAW, SMAW, and tie those in with a specific class, with Class A being certified in all positions, in all three processes.  Class B being certified in fewer processes and positions, and Class C even fewer processes and positions.

a welder is qualified to interpret weld symbols (via written test)

a welder is qualified to interpret prequalified joint designations (via written test)

a welder understands visual acceptance criteria (via written test)

a welder understands common problems and remedies associated with the process and position for which he/she is qualified (via written test)

These are just a few suggestions to help get you started.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-19-2010 19:27
To add to what was already stated.   You probably should consider the ability to read drawings, ability/knowledge to use and setup the shop equipment (saws, brake press etc).   Fitting skills should also play a big role....lets say a guy can weld this or that process in all positions but he does not know how to lay out a branch in a pipe or the best way to fit it and weld it and have it come out per print......yet another fellow can lay it out and weld it but he is not the best stick welder ....who is more valuable to you?    Not trying to make it complex for you but you should consider those skills not just welding ability.   I recently worked in an aircraft facility where the skill level of welding was very high.....there was a guy there who was probably the most amazing TIG welder I ever saw....I could not outweld him and his stuff ALWAYS looked perfect, he had worked there a long time.  BUT because I could work the machine shop, could braze, stick weld, fix machinery and fit better then most...I was paid more then him.  Only you know what you need the most and what kind of work you will be doing....setup your system according to those needs.  Keep it simple as you can or you will be pulling your hair out over it.

Good luck with it
Tommy
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Classification Levels