Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Saddle pipe
- - By okie (*) Date 11-12-2010 01:19
I need to saddle 24in nipple to fit 42in pipe does anyone know simple way to figure this.Thanks, Okie
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 11-12-2010 03:59
Pipe fitters or pipe fabricators blue book gives you all the info. Just like a branch test except 24 on 42.
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 11-12-2010 21:07
Go on line and search EZ Pipe Software this is a great template making program, you'll need access to a large plotter.

http://ezpipe.com/
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 11-12-2010 21:16
No disrespect PipeIt but I think a roll or adding machine tape is much cheaper than a plotter! Lay it out, cut it, fit it and make a template out of shim stock or paper if you want a template. Just my .02 this is the way I do it on the cheap, and I can cary all this stuff in my truck.
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 11-13-2010 06:38
I make all of my templates out of shelf or drawer liner. Its not to thick and not to thin. Pretty strong stuff and it don't stretch out. I get it at Home Depot or Menards.

Franklin wrote a book called, pipe template layout, or something like that. Its pretty informational. It will show you how to do ANYTHING with a scribe, a tape, and a straight edge.
Parent - By PipeIt (**) Date 11-15-2010 11:49
Shelf Paper? that's a fantastic idea I just forwarded a screen shot of the suggestion to our apprentice coordinator, Thanks! :)
Parent - By PipeIt (**) Date 11-15-2010 11:46
I agree Weldwade, I use that method and teach cubs that method, we bought the EZ pipe for our fab shop have plotters etc prints the complete template, hardest part is using the scissors to cut pattern, lol :)

Although this program isn't that much money.

Thanks
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-13-2010 17:48 Edited 11-16-2010 00:46
Hello okie, I'm a little late on this, but this is just another perspective or possible approach you might take. I will include a JPG. of a method that I use, it is based on the same sorts of things you will find in many pipe layout books. It requires a scale end-view of the two intersecting pipes, then you can use direct measurements to layout your pattern. Hope it helps some. Best regards, Allan

Edit: I have included another JPG of the dissimilar diameter layout procedure for on-center pipe. Off-center pipe would require doubling of the required measuring points and is definitely a bit more involved. Have included an off-center dissimilar diameter JPG. for those who might be interested.
Parent - By up-ten (***) Date 11-13-2010 20:42
Atta boy Allan! Great layout diagram,better than what I saw in trade school. Bob.
- - By Rig Hand (***) Date 11-14-2010 00:02
If you're still needing this info I looked in my blue book and for a STD wall 90* tee, 24'' riser on 42'' mainline the numbers are

0- 0''
1- 1/2''
2- 1 11/16''
3- 2 15/16''
4- 3 1/2''
Parent - - By sae350 (*) Date 11-14-2010 16:16
Rig hand, what kind of fitters book do you have?
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-14-2010 21:21
That is from Graves Blue Book
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 11-14-2010 22:55
Yeah, its from the fabricators blue book, its the dark blue one, same author, as stated above. All of us good looking guy's have them. LOL I couldn't resist.
Parent - - By sae350 (*) Date 11-16-2010 02:38
yeah, I heard all you good looking guys hangout at gay bars showing each other how to lay pipe
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 11-16-2010 03:46
That's just what I told your wife to tell you.

Oh, Snap!!! :)
Parent - - By sae350 (*) Date 11-16-2010 23:53
My wife hates welders. Just ask me how I know.
Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 11-17-2010 03:41
LOL
Parent - - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 11-15-2010 00:27
Does anyone know the formula for figuring out your measurements on pipe that is not of a standard wall thckness such as .250 wall? I cant seem to find it in the Graves and would like to know how to do it. Graves only seems to give the standard wall thickness numbers.
Parent - By Root Pass (***) Date 11-16-2010 00:29
The PIPE FABRICATORS Blue Book , by Graves, has sch 10 (.250) figures. The Pipe Fitter's and Pipe Welder's Handbook by Franklin explains how to make a branch fitting (among other things) with no measurements from a table.
http://www.thegangbox.com/c-154-pipefitterswelding.aspx
Those two books and The Pipe Fitter's Blue Book by Graves are must haves IMO. I also like the one Pipe Handbook for Pipefitters & Welders  ULT-3
By R.L. "Bulldog" Eisenbarth. it has some of the layout measurements that the other two books don't have. Like mitering pipe dimensions etc. Although a lot of the info is a repeat of the other three books.
  I had to make two field fabricated "Y"s for a chill water system last week those guys looked at me like I was from Mars when I got done. Felt good like an old school pipefitter!
I think it is a good idea to pick up drops from jobs you are on no matter how small. They are great to practice a "Bull Plug" cap or branch fitting or a lateral. I like the method Al showed too. After you do one or two it gets easier and you can make any branch or any degree lateral if you have a big enough piece of paper. http://industrialpress.com/node/610 Pipefitter's Handbook. It is a larger version of the Franklin PF and PW Handbook, and has examples of how to do it Al's way. That is how I taught myself.
Making pipe patterns got to be kind of a hobby for me while I was working out of town for the week. Keep me out of trouble too! I always carry a Mathey Dearman #DK-239 - Small Protractor (18" / 457mm), a compass, and a set of plastic French Curves and poster board in my Rig. If you get the protractor, I added the metal disk from some Fibre-Metal head gear  under the nut on it so you can tighten it better. The way Mathey does it it will not tighten all the way.
Well worth the time to try a few "just In case". You never know when you might need it!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Saddle pipe