Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld Wire Spec. AMS 5798 0.045”
- - By Mwccwi (***) Date 11-12-2010 15:58
Hello All,
I've recently had a big mess of a welding program dropped in my lap and have absolutly no idea where to look for guidance. I have this WPS for HastX it has ---Specification:      AMS 5536 ---Weld Wire Spec.  AMS 5798    0.045” and a few variables as to Voltage, amps,travel speed , gas flow, and tunsten size.

Help!!! anything please
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-12-2010 16:25
Mwccwi

Let your heart not be troubled.

Hastelloy X  has been around for many years now and it's not really one of the tricky to weld super alloys.

As far as GTAW goes...  Parameter ranges, argon purge and even surface prep are pretty much going to be the same as austinetic stainless.

What are your specific conserns...  Tell us what the problems actually are and I bet you get quick answers.
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 11-12-2010 22:40
At first I did not recognize the AMS filler spec and combined with the vague WPS sheet not listing a welding code or standard, I just panicked a little when I was told that this project is now mine. It has been awhile since I have posted anything on here and in panic mode, this forum that I learn so much from was my place of solace. Immediately after posting this query I ran the forum search function and started to remember or was reminded AMS was Aerospace Material Standards and realize that the poorly written WPS was someone else’s attempt at making a D17.1 WPS.
I’m getting things under control (I think :) ).
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld Wire Spec. AMS 5798 0.045”