Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / HELLO AND 7018 AC
- - By FIXXXXAH (*) Date 09-24-2002 04:53
HEY GUYS, LET ME FIRST INTRODUCE MYSELF. I'M AN 18 YEAR OLD WELDER FROM SANTA FE NM. I GRADUATED LAST YEAR, AND HAVE BEEN WELDING ABOUT 5 YEARS. IM NOT SURE IF ANY OF YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE SKILLS USA/VICA COMPETITIONS, BUT THEY ARE A SERIES OF TRADES COMETITIONS. I PLACED 2ND AT NATIONALS THIS SUMMER, AND HAVE BEEN INVITED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PRELIMINAREIS TO EARN A CHANCE TO COMPETE AT THE US WELD OPENS AT THE AWS SHOW IN DETROIT. THE FIRST TEST IN PRELIMINARIES ARE SETS OF TEST PLATES, WITH MIG, TIG, INNERSHIELD, AND STICK.

HERIEIGN LIES MY PROBLEM. THE STICK PLATES ARE 7018 AC 3/32 ROD VERT. UP AND OVERHEAD, 60 DEGREE V GROOVE 1/8" ROOT FACE 3/16 ROOT GAP. I'VE BEEN TRYING TO RUN THE VERT UP FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS NOW AND I CAN NOT GET RID OF THE POROSITY. I'M GETTING A FEW PINHOLES ON EACH PASS. I'VE RUN THEM HOT, RUN THEM COLD, NOTHING IS WORKING. IM RUNNING ABOUT 70 AMPS ON THE LOW END AND 95 ON THE HIGH.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
THANKS AHEAD, AND SORRY BUT MY CAPS ARE BROKEN.

MATT
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-24-2002 05:46

Matt,

Back to basics I say. Return to 2G (horizontal) position and pay special attention to surface prep, arc length and rod angle. Review your textbook on each. Are you taking care to handle your electrodes properly (dry)? Section and check your 2G work. If the porosity persists than maybe you could try a different batch of electrodes.

Vica is great! Rewards for excellence and merit rather than some feel good everybody wins crapola.

Keep us posted on your progress

Lawrence
Parent - By FIXXXXAH (*) Date 09-24-2002 14:37
HEY LAWRENCE-
THE RODS ARE NOT IN AN OVEN, AND ARE ALMOST 2 YEARS OLD, BUT ITS PRETTY DRY HERE IN NEW MEXICO, WE NEVER USE A ROD OVEN, AND I'VE NEVER RUN INTO THIS PROBLEM BEFORE. COULD IT BE THAT THIS ROD IS ALOT MORE SENSITIVE TO HUMIDITY THAN OTHERS?

I WILL DO SOME 2G TODAY AND REPORT ON HOW IT GOES....

MATT
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-24-2002 09:17
As Lawrence mentioned, going back to basics is a good start. That includes making sure your rods are stored in an oven. It's been a while (~18 years) since I ran 7018 AC so I'm not sure, but it seems like I had to hold a short arc. It was less tolerant of arc length differences that 7018 was.
Good luck on your competition
CHGuilford
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 09-24-2002 19:56
Matt, pay attention the two previous posts. You are getting excellent advice here, moisture laden or contaminated low hydrogen electrodes will without a doubt cause porosity. The limit out of an oven for E7018 is 4 hours and 10 if it is of the moisture resistant variety. There are many other types of contamination that can also cause it, but I would start with the electrodes. Keep a short arc and all of your plates clean and free of contamination and you will be okay. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-25-2002 07:28
Matt,

If you were doing code work I would advise you jettison the rod. Since its not lets do an experiment. Take some of that old rod and (with moms permission) bake it at 250 F for a couple hours. Take it immedatly from the oven and do your test plate. Than do another test plate with the unbaked rod. Make it easy on yourself and do this in the flat position so that you can have perfect form, keeping all other conditions the same.

You have no doubt heard your instructor use the term Lo-Hi or Low Hydrogen electrode, Thats what your 7018 is and even in the most dry conditions these electrodes will absorb moisture (H20) and the (H) is most likely the culprit in your porosity problem.

Use the stuff as a learning tool but don't use that electrode on anything that counts :)
Parent - By FIXXXXAH (*) Date 09-25-2002 14:36
'CMON DUDE, GIVE ME SOME CREDIT HERE, I DID TAKE SECOND AT NATIONALS, I'M NOT A NEWBIE. THE REASON I ASK IS GUYS IN OUR SHOP HAVE RUN THIS ROD BEFORE, FRESH, STORED IN THE OVEN, AND HAD THE SAME PROBLEM MUCH WORSE THAN I AM. I DO BELIVE IT IS THE QUALITY OF THE ROD OVERALL, AND WE'RE SWITCHING BRANDS.

LOW HY ROD AND MOISTURE ABSORBTION IS BASIC...

ALTHOUGH I AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS FORUM TO LEARN ALOT MORE OF THE METALURGRY, ADVANCED THEORIES, ECT TO WELDING, AS RIGHT NOW I CAN MAKE GOOD WELDS, BUT LAKC THE EXPERIENCE AND SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE TO BE A GOOD WELDER.

THANKS FOR THE INPUT GUYS, I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES.

MATT
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / HELLO AND 7018 AC