Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Workmanship Test
- - By welderla (*) Date 11-12-2010 18:05
Is there a single test or something like a recommendation test that I can give a welder to test his abilities?  I want to do a workmanship test, CJP's, PJP's, Fillet, Blueprint reading, etc that can all be inlcuded into one single test.  Something where the welder has to read the print, build and weldout a test.  I canmake something very easily but I was hoping for something that would be an industry standard or something that is used by the AWS.  Something that is simialr to the Weld contests that the AWS does for students in high school/vo-tech.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 11-12-2010 20:34 Edited 11-12-2010 20:56
One of the assignments I give my guys is shown here, on page 45:  http://www.wabo.org/uploads/Welder/STD%2027-13%20Fifth%20Edition%20July%202008.pdf

I add some additional required dimensions, add a general tolerance, change the shape and dimensions of the attachment plate (including adding a triangle shaped cutout in its center), and add some welding symbols to follow.  Then have them weld it out with 1/16" T-1, backgouge over head, and back weld.  Then they process destructive test samples in accordance with the standard's directions.  This test requires 4 side bends, two of which come from directly under the rat hole, two from the ends of the joint.

They may do it again later as an actual certification test with gassed or gasless FCAW or with SMAW.  But this is just one of several assignment I use primarly to check blueprint reading, ability to run a burn table, read weld symbols, weld to size, fit, measure accurately, follow written directions, and so-on.

Pretty good assignment I think.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 11-13-2010 02:02
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-13-2010 13:09
If you are looking at this as a way to filter out deadwood before you hire them, you are looking at a large $$ proposition. The cost of material and time to monitor the test is going to be huge.
If this is a limited, high paying position, $40-60 per where you will be using this to evaluate the final two or make this a condition of employment, then the high cost might be justified. But the welders that could pass the test could look at a company that requires it as having hen house ways.
What you are asking is not a standard welding test. With my limited experience in welder testing I have never seen a qualification test for a job like you are proposing.
And I can tell a lot about a welders skill in the way they fit up and tack their coupons.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 11-13-2010 21:52 Edited 11-13-2010 22:00
Hi Dbig.  I obviously have no idea what the OP's intention is with the test he is proposing, but IMHO the standard welding tests are not the best predictors of a welder's ability to function on many jobs.  I think in many instances they are kind of like giving a hammering test to a guy to determine if he would be a good carpenter.

Sure they test a welder's abilty to weld under idea conditions while following a predetermined procedure, but that is about it.  In many welding jobs welding is only a portion of the total metal working skills that must be performed.  IMO, the long standing structural steel plate test is highly questionable even for its limited INTENDED purpose which is qualifying welders to weld structural steel.  It uses a V groove instead of bevel groove and there is no rat hole to contend with.  The siesmic test is an improvement as it tests flat restarts in a rat hole with a bevel groove, but is still lacking... no overhead starts through a rat hole, no vertical bevel groove, nothing to realistically mock a beam to column or column to beam (as the restriction plate does not actually touch the weld zone or become part of the weld)... these are high skill level tasks that guys tend to bust out on in production.

I see guys who "have been welding for X years" that can't add a fraction, read a tape, read a basic blueprint or layout a part from one.  The ability to weld and the ability to build something or not entirely related.

Though it doesn't seem too common, I have heard of a couple places that require a few very simple weldment parts be burnt with a torch to size, and then assembled and welded in accordance with a simple print.  Some places test math, blueprint reading, and / or general welding knowledge with written test(s). 

I think hiring is one of the most critical things a company does.  I have always thought that the places I worked could have saved themselves a lot of money and grief by simply doing more comprhensive testing of their job applicants.

Respectfully,

Rod
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-14-2010 15:33
I do not disagree the test are NOT a predictor on how the welder will perform after the test. But if you look at the codes and standards the welding test is to determine if the welder can make a sound weld. There is nothing that prevents any employer from having additional requirements.
It is just not part of any standard or code.
There are two things that hold companies back from implementing additional testing requirements.
Time and Money.
It might be a good idea for a production company to come up with a combination cutting, fitting and welding test. How much is a company going to allocate for this. A standard 1/2 inch three plate Section IX welder qualification test cost $500 to 700 if you do not include welder time in the test and up to $1000 if welder time is included. If you are testing 50 to 100 welders a year that is a substantial cost. The last company I worked for had over $4000 dollars into a worker to get them the first day on the job. That cost has gone up due to background checks and TWIC requirements.
If you are testing a pipeline welder for a multiple qualification butt and branch the cost is around $3K. That is material, inspector, and welder cost. If you add the 1107 test the cost is over $4K.
The pipeline companies feel this is a acceptable cost. Do structural companies have the resources to commit to this cost?
Again, if this is to filter between two high skilled workers for a single high paying position, the resource commitment may be worth it. But a run of the mill structural company is risking fanicial suicide to implement something like this if it is not a code or standard requirement as the increased cost will have to be passed along to the customer.
That is a business decision and if this would make a difference is the end cost, a company would have to be very careful.
- By welderla (*) Date 11-14-2010 21:11
Blaster, that's exactly what I was looking for, I wish AWS had something like that.  I'll probably take that and modify it to my needs but it's diffenity what I was looking for.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Workmanship Test