Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Finally getting my CWI....
- - By jrupert (*) Date 11-15-2010 21:30
Well after 15 years of welding engineering, I am finally going to get my CWI.  I am going to the week long seminar in Syracuse in December.  Mostly wanted this to help with understanding D1.1.  I spend most of my time with ASME Section IX and VIII Div 1.  D1.1 has always seemed like a PIA so I am hoping that week will change my opinion.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-15-2010 23:47
Will patially depend upon you and your attitude going in.  Then, it will patially depend upon the instructor. 

From a Fabricator's viewpoint, I learned a lot about the code that I had not an idea of before the seminar.  One of the best weeks of my career.  I wish I had done it years ago.  I highly recommend it to even my competition in our community in AZ.  I have told most of them to either go themselves or send a key employee.  Even if they don't take or pass the exam the seminar is worth the time and money.

Good luck.  Do some studying ahead of time.  Glance through A2.4, 3.0.  Read through a WIT book if you can get one.  And at least get on overview of D1.1.  I know you will get most of these at the seminar but if your office/employer has them on the shelf look them over before you get there.  It will ease the study/cramming time during that week.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jrupert (*) Date 01-04-2011 20:02
Well, I passed the CWI exam!  Seminar was excellent.  Definitely have a better appreciation for D1.1 now.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-04-2011 20:29
Well done!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-04-2011 20:55
Congratulations!!  Have you actually seen your scores yet or did you just get a letter saying you had passed? 

No need to post your scores for everyone to see, I was just curious if you knew rather you had just squeeked by or passed with a comfortable score.

I agree with the seminar being excellent.  From what I hear most of the instructors are very good at improving one's understanding of the code.  Mine was outstanding.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jrupert (*) Date 01-04-2011 21:26
Yes, they give you the scores in each of the three sections and also a composite score.  I ended up with an overall 91% so I was kind of excited about that.  They also provide an attachment that shows how many you got right/wrong in each section.  Not totally helpful, but at least know the areas where you missed questions which was more than I thought they would provide.  My instructor was Jim Greer.  I was initially worried about sitting in class for 8 hours a day for a week and being bored to death, but he kept me engaged the entire time.  Was really a great class.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-04-2011 21:43
Great Job! :-)
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-05-2011 01:18
WTG!!   one of my friends just took it, the only preparation he had was the seminar, he missed by two.  I plan to borrow his books after he retakes and cram every night for about three months before I take it.   No seminar for me as I am paying for it.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Finally getting my CWI....