Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / "Natural Ventilation"
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-16-2010 17:34 Edited 11-16-2010 17:47
Hi.

The standard Hobart safety vid that is worked into all the process training DVD's mentions "Natural Ventilation"

It specifically states that natural ventilation must consist of 10,000 cubic feet per welder, with a ceiling of 16 feet with no partitions, balconies or other structural barriers.

While our weld lab  has movable point fume extraction, our aviation center has just two welding machines and the hanger obviously fits into the "natural ventilation category"  but our insurance carrier has noted the lack of fume extraction..

My question is where is the data for that video actually published?  I did not find it in ANSI Z49.1..  Just need to find the published reference.

Does anybody have a clue about "natural Ventilation" ??????

Edit:  Yes I did contact the Hobart Institute..  Just waiting for them to get back to me.  :)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-16-2010 18:08
Code of Federal Regulations 29 CFR 1910.252 (C ) 2 –
Ventilation for general welding and cutting – (i) General.
Mechanical ventilation shall be provided when welding or cutting is done on metals…  
(A)  In a space of less than 10,000 cubic feet per welder
(B)  In a room having a ceiling height of less than 15 feet
(C)  In confined spaces or where the welding space contains partitions, balconies, or other structural barriers to the extent that they significantly obstruct cross ventilation.

Special thanks to:

Martha A. Baker
Manager - Internet and Library Services
Editor - The World of Welding
Supervisor of AWS - CWI / CWE / CWS Examinations
Hobart Institute of Welding Technology

She was back to me in less than 30 minutes...   Hobart is awsome.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-16-2010 19:30
Thanks for that ventilation information Lawrence.

Makes some good info for small shops to have on hand.  Though there are many applications where open doors, fans (exhaust or otherwise), or extractors are needful.  Using air arc, plasma cutting and other high fume producing operations.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By tekla019 Date 05-17-2011 10:47
I assume those same ventilation requirements would apply to a plasma cutter for structural steel  like the one shown here:
http://www.structural-steel-beam-drill-line.com
Anyone know if there is a ventilation system supplier who is especially well-versed in plasma ??
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 05-17-2011 16:02
tekla019
I have seen three of you posts now and either you are, never mind you are just a salesman.
Yes the PythonX has a ventilation option, don't you know anything about the stuff you are peddling?
:cool:
Marshall
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-16-2010 19:29
[quote]10,000 cubic feet per welder, with a ceiling of 16 feet with no partitions, balconies or other structural barriers.[/quote]

10Kcuft/welder sounds like alot of air, but then again it doesn't mention any sort of time frame for the exchange rate so it "may" or "may not" be alot of air...depending on the amount of time.

Are we talking about 10k cuft/welder over an hour's time or 1 week's time?.....might be getting short on clean air by the end of a week....LOL
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / "Natural Ventilation"