Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / future start-up advice
- - By David Edwards (*) Date 11-18-2010 02:36
As a non-trditional student in a 2 year welding program, I'm looking at graduation in two semesters. I will be at first stage retirement a few months after graduation. I'm in a small midwestern farming community and would like to start up a small welding repair shop to supplement SS income.  I've had the standard skills courses and will be taking Brazing and Soldering, tungston and Mig welding in the comming months.   I'd appreciate any advice on start-up, additional courses I should take, or how to generate some income once started.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-18-2010 04:33
David,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

What type of background do you have besides your current tech training?  What other types of welding experience to you have?  How much of a BUSINESS are you planning to start?  Licenses, insurance, machining, welding, hydraulics, electronics,???

Farming equipment can be a challenge to repair correctly.  Just as any equipment.  Are you going to have access to an air arc?  Have they taught you about penetration for repairs?  Don't expect to truly repair breakage by just running a pass of weld over the top of the broken area. 

How about computer skills for record keeping, billing, inventory, etc.

Will you complete the classes with any 'Certifications'?  To what code if so?

How much equipment are you planning to start with?  Don't go too small on amperage rating.  For any size equipment you will want a good size machine.  Not a job for a 110 volt wire feed welder with innershield wire on it.

Hopefully others will chime in as well.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By David Edwards (*) Date 11-19-2010 02:40
Thanks for the reply,
Since I just turned 60 (feel like 35) I've had a wide area of past experience,  Mig welded radiator top and bottom plates for heat transfer product manufacturer for two years late 60's (60's were great!!) 12 years as a Vice President of lending at a savings and Loan in Seattle, owned a medical equipment company in Southern California for 4 years, 6 years as a state investigator in California, Ran a landscape company in Las Vegas for three years, then back home to Iowa to run an insulation company for several years, have a heating and cooling cert. an EPA Universal card, an OSHA cert. and have hobby welded for a few years.  Now in the two year welding course at local college.  Slowly acquiring equipment, some new, some from auctions.  Have new Miller 180@220, new Hobart AC/DC@220 stick welder, full size Horizontal band saw, chop saws, grinders etc. etc. I really enjoy welding and running own business.  Have no illusions about making a ton of money, just want to contribute and take the pressure off the better half. I'm very good at start-ups and sales.
Parent - By warmka weld (*) Date 11-18-2010 23:16
I've had a small repair shop in an upper mid-west farming town for about 14 yrs.  It is close to impossible here to make a living fixing farm equipment.  If your in an area with more livestock that would be better, all cash croppers around here. Look for some area dealerships that customize equipment for their customers, they usually need some sort of manufacturing done and there is some money in that but usually kinda seasonal. Get to know some local contractors and construction companies. As Brent said dont buy equipment not big enough for a job. A good 250 amp wirefeed would be minimum and a decent sized plasma cutter is a must as far as i'm concerned. Good luck hope that helps some.
- - By awspartb (***) Date 11-18-2010 23:29
By SS income, I assume you are retired??
Parent - By weaver (***) Date 11-19-2010 01:33
Awspartb, man leave the young guy alone
Parent - By David Edwards (*) Date 11-19-2010 02:47
Not quite yet, just turned 60, but when you feel 35 it's not really time yet to become a couch potato and wait for the big one to hit.  I'm not good at not working, but when employer shut down I found that perspective employers were not out looking for 59 year olds to hire.  What a surprise.  Besides, my whole family has always worked for themselves and I enjoy that much more than being an employee. Have no illusions of making lots of money, just want to contribute to family income and supplement SS when that time comes in another year or so.
- By stanantonio Date 11-19-2010 01:47
farmers and ranchers might work well for you if it's not your soul income. Its a hard living trying to please a set in ways farmer.  I usually will always do a farm job and always charge way less than I would for an established company but I do not try to promote or sell my services to them. Another option for you that you might want to look into is building an installing ornamental metal fence. probably an easier sell and probably more money in it. Just a food for thought.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / future start-up advice