Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Auto-darkening helmet question
- - By DaveSisk (**) Date 09-25-2002 14:05
Hi folks:

After using an auto-darkening helmet at some of the demo racks, I want one. There's quite a few to choose from, but I really like the idea of the solar-charged ones (actually, arc-charged would be more accurate I guess) since you don't have to replace the battery until it simply won't charge anymore.

There seem to be ones that darken in 1/10,000th of a second, 1/20,000th of a second, and 1/25,000th of a second. I believe that I have used one that darkens in 1/10,000 (Miller, I think) and another that darkens in 1/25,000 (Arc-One). I could actually tell a difference in the time to darken. The 1/10 seemed like everything went dark around the weld when you started, but with the 1/25 it wasn't even noticeable that the shade darkened. I liked it much better (totally non-distracting).

Anyway, I've found one that darkens in 1/20,000th for $60, and 1/25,000 for $120. Both are Western Safety brand, I believe.

How do you think a 1/20 would compare to the 1/25? Not that much difference, but I'm wondering if that minor difference in darkening speed is detectable by the eye (like the 1/10 is). Any thoughts? $60 is a really low price, and I'm wondering if 1/5000th of a second is worth double the price...

Dave
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-26-2002 03:55
Actually the difference between 1/20000 (5/100000) and 1/25000 (4/100000) is 1/100000.

Bill
Parent - By DaveSisk (**) Date 09-26-2002 14:01
Duh...I must've forgotten how to subtract fractions somewhere along the way. You are absolutely correct, thanks for pointing this out.

Dave
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 09-26-2002 12:50
Dave
I think focus should be on three things: field of view, field of view, and adjustability. If you use, or plan to use a variety of processes and/or low power to weld, consider adjustability for sensitivity and shade as well. There is also something to consider about the manufacturer's reputation for trouble free service.
Thats MY opinion. Hope it helps.

Regards
d
Parent - - By DaveSisk (**) Date 09-26-2002 14:03
Agreed. Both of these have the larger lenses. The $120 one adjusts between #9-#13. With the $60, it switches between #9-#13, but it's unclear from it's description whether it's only #9 or #13 and nothing in between, or it hits all the numbers in between. However, I will check when I got take a look at one in person...

There's a few others that are inexpensive, but they have the smaller lenses or a fixed shade, so I'm not even considering those.

Thx,
Dave
Parent - - By autoweld (*) Date 09-27-2002 13:18
I have three differant models from three different companys. They all work very well and they all have the larger lens. I perfer the one made by Hornell just for the fact that you can breath fresh air in while you are welding. This helps keep the head clear and is cooler than the other models.
Parent - By boilermaker (**) Date 10-22-2002 13:25
That exhaust vent doesn't work quite the way they say it does...I still get some smoke in from the electrode burning....if I'm going to suck smoke, I'll use my old XL!
Parent - By jman Date 10-22-2002 02:12
hey, first thing in my opion are MY EYES. if you are looking for a cheap auto darkening hood just keep your tried and true old style hood. cheap an quality are not to be confused. only consider a mfgr. that has a lot of backround in the ind. i have and will only use Hornell Speedglass. they 100% honor their warranty and nobody has more experance or (this is the important part) better lenses. this is the part that saves your eyes. how fast it gets dark is cool but these lenses actually blink so fast that no light gets through. the start up may be faster or slower but you cannot see them blink. it wou be like a strobe in side the hood. but the best optics arent cheap. the cheap optics arent good. agood lens protectes you from all harmful rays even when its off then you are still vunerable to the brightness. call Hornell and ask about how they make their lenses. also call Miller but Miller doesent make the lens. find out all you can before you make a decision.be well and good luck. jman.
Parent - - By Kix474 (*) Date 11-02-2002 04:39
Huntsman makes real good lenses. They r fully adjustable like shade,sensitivity for grinding in them because even the smallest spark or light will set them off, and a time adjustment to adjust how long it stays dark after you get done welding. To prove duribility i drowned my one lens because the hood fill up with water sitting in the back of my car during a rain storm. (My trunk leeks) Dried it out with a torch and put some new batteries in it and it still works good as new. I haven't ever had to use my back up Huntsman.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-06-2002 16:00
I like the hornell, but it's pricey. I went with a Jackson Executive Variable (big window) for about $250. It seems to do everything the more expensive ones do. I have replacement parts for the Jacksons. That was another reason I chose that brand. I have a shop with about 65 guys in it and all of them use a Jackson of some variety. I'm not a spokesperson for Jackson, but I have had good service from their stuff.
Just another opinion to look at,
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Auto-darkening helmet question