Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Made in USA
- - By Blaster (***) Date 11-22-2010 19:06 Edited 11-24-2010 15:29
As was suggested in another thread, I figured I would pass on some of what I know about good items that are American made (as of my last orders).

If you want to add something or make a correction, please do so.  However please don't use this thread to debate the quality of the various work forces of the nations.  I would like to keep it on track and focused on American goods we CAN buy.

Also, please keep in mind that to have an effect on the decisions industry makes, they need to hear from America's industrial consumers.... both against moving out of the US, and positive for staying here.  Particularly noteworthy IMHO is an international company like ESAB who offers many US made items.

Below is a list of items I regularly use.  I will add more as they come to mind.

MIG WIRE:
ESAB Spool Arc 86 ER70S-6
ESAB / Alcotec Almigweld ER5356

TIG ROD:
ESAB Spool Arc 65 ER70S-2
ESAB OK TIG Rod ER5356

DUAL SHIELD:
ESAB 710X-M  E71T-1M (which has great operator appeal, including on pipe)

7018:
Hobart 718MC

TIG ELECTRODES:
ESAB

GOUGING CARBONS:
ESAB / All State Carbon Electrodes

SAW BLADES:
Lenox QXP

GROUND CLAMPS (and kind of funky stingers):
Lenco

TIG TORCHES / PARTS:
Weld Craft Torches (although all of their cups are Chicom now, even the Lavas recently went there)
Weld Craft Collets and Collet Bodies

ABRASIVES:
Weiler 4" Stringer Bead Wire Wheel, .020 5/8-11 (part 13131)
Flexovit Grinding Wheel 4 1/2" x 1/4 x 7/8 A30S Type 27 (part A1236)
United Abrasive / SAIT Cut Off Wheel 4 1/2" x .090 x 7/8 Z-tech Type 27 (part 20943)
United Abrasive / SAIT Chop Saw Wheel 16" x 5/32 x 1 Type 1 (part 24070)
Pearl Flap Disc 4 1/2" x 7/8 T27 Z40 (part MX4540ZT)
Pearl Flap Disc 7" x 7/8 T29 Z40 (part MX704Z9T)

SAFETY GLASSES:
UVEX Astro Spec 3000
UVEX Astro OTG 3001
UVEX Genesis
UVEX Genesis Readers

GLOVES:
Anchor #20-GC
North Star White OX #1014

HARD HATS:
Fiber Metal E-2

HOODS:
Fiber Metal 52090
Fiber Metal Tiger Hood

LENSES:
PMC ALCWL Clear Cover Plates
Fiber Metal Clear Cover Plates

EXTENSION CORDS:
Polar Solar (Available through Grainger)

CHIPPING HAMMERS:
Atlas

DIE GRINDERS (Industrial Quality):
Top Cat / TC Service - Good Stuff!
Sioux

BURR BITS (for Die Grinders):
Mastercut Tool Corporation

NEEDLE SCALERS / AIR CHISELS:
Top Cat / TC Service - Really Good Stuff!
Texas Pneumatic

OF HOSE:
Goodyear currently being sold by Airgas under Randor name

AIR HOSE and END FITTINGS (Push-on style 3/8" ID):
Milton (Available through ATS - All Tire Supply- in Texas)

COMPRESSED AIR PLUGS and COUPLERS (1/4" NPT)
Milton (Available through ATS - All Tire Supply- in Texas)

INERT GAS HOSE QC FITTINGS:
Western

OF FLASH ARRESTORS / REVERSE FLOW CHECK VALVES:
Current Airgas / Randor

TAPE:
Scotch Super 33+ Vinyl Electrical Tape
Scotch 69 Glass Cloth Electrical Tape Class H (very strong high heat tape great for reinsulating FCAW gun necks and so-forth, available at Grainger)

WELD GAUGES:
Fiber Metal Fillet Weld Gauge
GAL Pit Gauge
GAL Cam Gauge

PIPE WRAPS:
Flange Wizard

RADIUS MARKING TOOLS:
Flange Wizard

Edited 24 Nov 10 to add items.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-22-2010 21:44
Good to know.

I would rather buy "Made in USA" than to buy from a "Preferred Trading Partner" such as China.

I still haven't replaced my "dress shoes." Still looking for something "Made in the USA." My shoe repairman tells me he doesn't believe he can fix them up many more times.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 11-23-2010 01:39
Outstanding post!  May I add one more?  WIGWAM Sock, caps, hats etc.   WOOL socks for anyone wearing Mickey Mouse boots welding in extreme cold weather.  These are what those boots were made for!  The prices are about equal (maybe slightly higher but not much) than the Chinese crap you are paying top dollar for!  Check them OUT!  One hundred year old USA company. 

http://www.wigwam.com/
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 11-23-2010 03:47
Good thread Blaster.   I work in the arctic and am actually about to order some socks....Think ill wait till I get home to check these out
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 11-23-2010 13:11
If you get the 100% wool socks, do not put them in the dryer.  they must be air dried.  The dryer will shrink them.  They make wool blends that are dryer safe.  The Mickey Mouse boots many of you guys were up in the arctic are supposed to be used with one pair of wool socks.  That's what they were designed for and it works.  Top quality stuff, wigwam is.
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 11-24-2010 20:19
I have a pair of Red Wing dress shoes I hope they were made here I am going to check when I get home, I am starting to wonder.

PI
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 11-24-2010 20:33
Some of their stuff is, most isn't any more (although their transition away from American made parts has been slow).  All of their Worx line is imported.
A lot of the shoes with the cloth linings are imported.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-25-2010 01:17
I had a pair of Worx work shoes a few years ago, I got them cheap because it was a discontinued item. They were pretty junky.
Parent - - By hillbilly (**) Date 11-25-2010 00:48 Edited 11-25-2010 00:54
Both pair of my Wings say "made in the USA with imported materials".

http://www.gussetclothing.com/
This are made about 25 miles from place, in Hickman County Tennessee.
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 11-25-2010 01:15
Dam, just looked into my so called American made Red Wing dress shoes and inside the tongue it says " Leather upper balance man made material made in china" we can't win lady's and gentleman WTF.

On the up side I did find a free set of chop sticks under the soles! lol :)
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 11-25-2010 13:32
Redwing Irish Setter hunting boots.  Purchased them 4 years ago........Made in china
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 11-25-2010 18:47
Red Wing 6656 black steel toed work boots.  "Made in USA  Leather Upper".  These are unlined leather with a cloth last, and wear like iron, and I haven't seen a Chinese shoe made with that type of construction yet.  Hopefully these won't be discontinued.  They're awesome boots with a nail resistant flexible sole plate, and non marking supersoles (the sole is actually kind of clear, but looks black because you're looking through, to the black boot).

Red Wing shoes I'm wearing now "Made in USA with imported materials", but were discontinued two years ago anyway.  These have the cloth lined panels that look like sneakers inside (which is often the easiest way to spot Chinese shoes), but the leather "collar" (the round puffy part that goes around the foot opening, because I've got no idea what else to call it) has held up VERY well (when the paper thin leather on my Wolverines and Timberlands just fell apart there, so I guess they still try to make a good product, even if the panels are imported.  That, and these shoes are definately assembled here, because there is no paper last that everything is glued to.  Instead, the sides are assembled and stitched to a cloth last, and the sole is kind of cast onto that.

My favorite Red Wing dress shoes say "Made in USA  Leather Upper", but were discontinued two years ago too (which sucks, because its hard to find a shoe that fits my 4E wide feet, and those felt like they were ten year old broken in shoes, the first time I tried them on (and haven't changed a bit).
I haven't looked through the store in a year or so though (because they just hold up that well).
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 11-23-2010 02:28
Great info Blaster!!! Thank you very much. I have been buying Harris Al tig rod... going to order some ESAB tomorrow!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-23-2010 13:15
Great thread, here's a website dedicated to buying American made products,

http://buyamerican.com/index.html
Parent - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 11-24-2010 14:37
Here's another website,

www.stillmadeinusa.com

Chris
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 11-24-2010 15:11
Henry Repeating Rifles.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 11-24-2010 15:34
Ruger too, and Rock River Arms.
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 11-24-2010 16:03
"Henry Repeating Rifles. "

Well, that one's kind of a "Back by popular demand."  Wish there were more stories like that.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 11-24-2010 17:03
I have read and seen on the news where some one starts an Internet rally type thing that for no apparent good reason but still attract a lot of attention and people just fall in line with it for amusement (I guess).

If some one would start something like chant or every one in the US step out side and cry out “Buy American” at a given date & time maybe we could get the message across.

I’m just rambling, but it seems now days people will do just about anything for amusement that they feel could be nonconforming, disruptive or skirting civil disobedience (breaking the mold maybe?).

Point being, most of us stay busy trying to keep our heads above water and a lot of things get buy us. If we could make reclaiming our economy and country a fun thing we may get more backing.

Just thinking rambling in print.

Have a great Turkey day.
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 11-25-2010 01:13
Made in New Jersey, one of the most anti-gun states in the nation.  Go figure. 

Can you even buy one in NJ without a permit?
Parent - - By weldstudent (**) Date 11-24-2010 17:02
There is a company called "All American Clothing" not sure where they are located. they make jeans, not sure if they make shirts. the pants look to be good quality at a fair price. they have a 90 day no question return policy. the feature i like is that on all the new pants they make you can go on line and track the pants with a bar code on the tag. from what i understand there are around 150-175 people involved in the production, and delivery of every pair of pants. with the bar code you can track the pants all the way to the farmer who planted the cotton seed. i have not yet bought a pair but when i can i will try them.

http://www.allamericanclothing.com
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 11-25-2010 01:42
BB shirts. Great quality and fit, and made in the good ole USA!
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 11-28-2010 01:22
Most all Lenox saw blades I've seen lately are not made here now since Irwin & Cooper bought them out.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 11-28-2010 03:36
Ya Irwin bought out Vise-Grip and sent that work oversees too. Closed the plant here in Nebraska where it all started.
Parent - - By Fritz T Katt (**) Date 11-28-2010 17:52
Is there still a vise-grip style plier made in the USA?

EDIT: Remembering Johnny Walker's latest post speaking of deer season... Winchester rifles are no longer made in the USA.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 11-28-2010 20:14
Parent - - By Fritz T Katt (**) Date 11-29-2010 01:20
At least one model is still made in the USA.

Further reading on the Winchester site shows they did move other production to Belgium (assembled in Portugal), and an existing factory in Japan. If I remember correctly, Brownings where already moved to Japan and Belgium years ago. It's sad when they can't even make guns in the USA anymore.
Parent - - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 11-29-2010 01:42 Edited 11-29-2010 15:28
My first duck gun was a ithaca, They've had some bumps and bruises but still going strong! Grandad had a ithaca 10ga goose gun damn what a gun.  http://ithacagun.com/
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 11-29-2010 22:23
The new Remington R1 1911 45 ACP pistol is made in Ilion NY.  According to the web site, it is Made in USA.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 11-29-2010 20:27
Think you have to do like Blaster is saying below just buy good used vise grips or find some NOS ones a dealer has yet that were still made here before the change.  I haven't found any other vise grips made here anymore.  I got some Elora German made wrenches at a auction while back then looked them up and they distribute here out of Florida but are not cheap.  They make some vise grips but sure are higher on price but I'm sure the quality would be better than China made.

http://eloratool.com/ClampingPliers.html

http://eloratool.com/StoreFront.html

Lawson use to sell good drill bits, taps, dies and tools but some of their stuff is foreign made now too even some of their smaller bolts and fasteners. 

http://www.lawsonproducts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Home?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 11-29-2010 06:20
The quality of the U.S. made compared to the foreign made Vice Grips is like night and day. In order to get good tools nowadays a person will have to go to an auction where you can pick some old tools made in the good ole U.S.A.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 11-29-2010 17:38
I buy a lot of older stuff off ebay these days.  Like the other day I wanted an American made thermos.  I found new-in-box stanleys from a decade or more ago that were American built.  Call me old fashioned, but I refuse to put money into the economy of a nuclear armed communist country with 1 billion people and vast manufacturing capacity... doesn't seem like a prudent thing to do.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 11-29-2010 18:53
I broke the globe on my ancient Coleman lantern the other day. You think I could find a geniune Pyrodex globe anywhere? NOT, all made in china. I'm checking every mom and pop hardware store I find for an old stock item. So far no luck. But I'll keep looking, I think it's worth it.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 11-30-2010 02:01
Try EBAY.  I found a globe for my vintage 1960's lantern there.  "Coleman Pyrex Globe" is what you should type in on Ebay.  There are over 15 different vintage glass globes listed right now.  Hope this helps.
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 12-01-2010 00:18
Thanks, awspartb, I'll check it out.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 11-29-2010 22:25
Forget about Craftsman.  I took an old axe head in because the handle broke.  I wanted a new handle and they said they'd give me a whole brand new axe with a synthetic handle for FREE.  All I had to do was turn in the old axe head.  I said great!  the old Axe head which was Made in USA.  The new axe was 100% China.  I was not happy once I got home and saw that.  Never thought to even look while at the store.
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 11-29-2010 23:59
I understand why you're not happy (I wouldn't be either), but its a crapshoot whether or not it worked out ok for you.
I've got some current Craftsman chisels, and the steel is fantastic (just about as good as a Sorby, but they are cut a bit thick and clunky).  No idea where they're made, but if it doesn't say made in USA (and they don't), I would assume its China.  Still, they're MUCH better than my 20+ year old craftsman chisels which won't hold an edge for anything (they only good for scraping gaskets and glue).  Could be your axe worked out like that.

OR, then there's the ratchets.  I've got a bunch of made in the USA (and not the intermediate series that were just "forged in the USA"), and they're as good as anything but the latest from SnapOn (sure, the dual-80's are much better, but they only JUST came out).  Really smooth action.
Now, if I somehow managed to break one, I'd get a piece of junk from China, with a plastic reversing lever.  You better believe that if I put a pipe on a ratchet, it'll be on a SnapOn. 

Their socket quality had diminished in the same way, after it went overseas.  When I had managed to wear out my 19mm impact socket (it was getting stuck on lug nuts), and got it replaced, while it no longer gets stuck, the thicker walls rub on my rims.  Anybody can give a lifetime warranty on sockets.  The GOOD ones do it, and still keep the wall thickness down.  Thickening the walls lets you cut corners (could be in the alloy, could be in the heat treatment, could be in the forging, or maybe somewhere else) and still maintain the minimum strength, BUT now you have sockets that don't always fit in things.  So, the Craftsman impact sockets are now no better than the HF.
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 11-29-2010 23:44
I'm all for American made tools, BUT, I feel that the current Craftsman vice grips, which are the equivalent for the Irwin Vice Grip "Fast Release" (they've got to be made in the same plant), are at least as good as any of my old pairs made here.  Yeah, the no-name chinese vice grips suck, but that's another story (and I still keep some of those around, for when I want to "modify" a tool).
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 11-30-2010 15:19
Most of Filson clothing is American made and is of excellent quality.

They also sell some really nice domestic wallets and luggage.

The are very good about including country of origin (including of materials) in the their web catalogue and in their paper catalogues.
- - By pipe hand (*) Date 11-27-2010 15:09
double H boots made in the usa
Parent - By JLWelding (***) Date 11-27-2010 17:31
Red Wings made in the usa with imported material. LOL
Parent - - By jpill (**) Date 11-29-2010 02:38
Got to be careful on the Double H's if you are particular on made in USA, I have three pair two made in USA one made in Mexico all three pair are strong as nails. All three have had new heels on them at least once.
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 11-30-2010 13:07
My Invertec-205T is a Lincoln Electric machine.......made in Italy.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-30-2010 15:10
Martin Brothers work shirts, made in the USA out of Powderly, Tx. Have talked to Mr. Martin several times and great guy, we can just chat on and on. I've got 4 of the mountain cloth welding shirts, they are some excellent shirts.

http://mountaincloth.com/

Great service, quick shipping
Parent - - By TozziWelding (**) Date 11-30-2010 20:45
No more Curv-O-Mark tools for me, I just got a jumbo center head that said made in china on it, Flange Wizard it is from now on.
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 11-30-2010 21:17
A little off-topic but with the proliferation of Micro Breweries in the U.S., I now believe our country makes the best beer in the world.  Ruination IPA from Stone Brewery in San Marcos CA is my choice.

ps:  A few beers will NOT make a poorly made tool perform any better.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 11-30-2010 23:14
Yes, Curv-O-Marc went Chicom some years ago.  I found out when I bought one of their angle marking tools.  The retail packaging (the original box) had no country of origin markings, so as is required by law, the item had to be domestic.  Wrong.  The tool inside the retail packaging said China on it.  I was furious, and will not buy another Curv-O-Mark tool.  I now buy Flange wizard pipe wraps and tools... good stuff.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Made in USA