Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cb C103 to Ti-6-4
- - By paulcohen Date 09-25-2002 17:02
I have a 1/8 inch thick cone with a 2 3/4 inch diameter made from Cb C103 alloy that I'd like to weld to a 1 inch thick flange made from Ti-6Al-4V. Can anyone suggest a weld method that could be used to successfully weld these alloys?

Thanks.

Paul
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 09-25-2002 18:27
Wow! Now that one is up there in the stratospehere. Personally, I have no info if they can be welded together, but I would guess against it. The best bet for my money would be to see if both alloys are brazable, and if so, is there a filler metal compatable with both of them?
Parent - By paulcohen Date 09-26-2002 13:50
I haven't been able to find any info on it either. I believe it can be done. We have some old drawings where it is shown that a weld was to be made. We're modifying the drawings and trying to duplicate some of the manufacturing processes. The old drawing refer to a specification the gives weld requirements but no weld process.

We're still in the analysis stage, so brazing may be a possiblity if we can get the strength we need.
Parent - - By scmait (*) Date 09-26-2002 13:17
A solid state process could probably weld these materials. Is this a multiple part application? Or is this a one time thing? If its the later then the cost will be great. If this is the case I'd reference the previous suggestion.
Parent - - By paulcohen Date 09-26-2002 13:52
It's a multiple part application, but not a very significant number, maybe a few dozen. Which solid state process did you have in mind? Diffusion bonding?
Parent - - By scmait (*) Date 09-26-2002 15:35
Well if the parts are symmetrical then friction welding would probably be the best for the job. Otherwise more research would be required.
Parent - By paulcohen Date 09-27-2002 13:22
The C103 has a tensile strength of 50ksi and the Ti-6-4 has a tensile strength of around 150ksi. Do you think this would affect the possibility of doing friction welding?
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-27-2002 04:18
So I looked on google for cb c103 got one hit, it's a part number for a book you can buy on yahoo. Although I doubt I can be of any help I am still curious what cb c103 is made of.

Bill
Parent - - By paulcohen Date 09-27-2002 13:20
Cb is the symbol for columbium (aka niobium Nb). C103 is an alloy of columbium. It has 10% hafnium, 1% titanium.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-28-2002 03:22
Thanks-

It is encouraging that c103 has Hafnium which is in the same column of the periodic table with titanium and titanium as alloying agents. Also encouraging is the fact that the titanium alloy contains vanadium which is in the same column as niobium and adjacent to it. Things in the same column share chemical similarities and the fact that each alloy thus contains elements similar to the major element in the other implys the existance of some filler material which would alloy with both. They might just alloy with each other.

I of course have no actual practical solution to offer, only theoretical guesses.

Bill
Parent - By paulcohen Date 09-30-2002 12:55
Thanks for you replies and interesting observations about the periodic chart and alloy elements.
Parent - By scmait (*) Date 10-01-2002 14:14
I agree with Bill. That was my next step (and he has done the work) in determining if they were compatible. With that being said these materials can be solid state welded.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cb C103 to Ti-6-4