Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Saddle pipe again
- - By strat (**) Date 11-30-2010 17:20
hey all,
okie brought up this subject a few weeks ago and now im in dire need for some help-advice, I have a 6" branchine off a 14" long radius 90, I have the blue book at home doing me no good and aevald put in a great explenation and drawing in his reply. Im just brain dead and cant think, any advice would be appreciated, im going to try and put a sketch on here.

Thanks
Strat
Attachment: E727.pdf (254k)
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-30-2010 18:34
Hello strat, that one could certainly pose a bit more of a challenge than most other saddle fits. I do have some ideas on how I would approach it, but I'll have to take a bit of time to sketch it out. Meanwhile, I'll be curious to hear/see the suggestions and examples of others. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-30-2010 19:58 Edited 11-30-2010 20:23
Hello again strat, here goes. I made a mock-up of how I would likely approach this layout challenge without getting into some really heavy pattern making/figuring out. First I would determine the rough angle that the 6" pipe enters the elbow at, then I would get a piece of scrap and cut one end of it at that angle. Next, I would locate it on the elbow relative to center as required and with any offsets included if needed, I would tack this piece onto the elbow. You'll notice in the pictures that I have included here that I use a length of angle iron as a layout aide. I only marked one end of this piece, you may need to mark both ends and also cut some relief off of one leg of each end so that you will have clearance as you use the piece for making your layout marks. I am hopeful that you can figure out the progression and sequence of this process by looking at the photos. Once you make your marks and connect them you should have a cut line that can be used to make the proper cope. You may need to wrap the scrap piece with layout paper/stock and cut it accordingly and then use the paper pattern to make the actual layouts on your actual parts. Best regards, Allan

Edit: the black mark on the angle represents the furthest distance between the pipe and the elbow after you have it positioned and tacked into place. You can also use the contact point where the angle touches the elbow to layout a hole to make a penetration into the elbow if needed.
Parent - By strat (**) Date 11-30-2010 20:16
Allan,
I greatly appreciate your reply and i only wish that I had a 14" long radius that i could use for a refrence, the costumer only wonts the 6" pipe with cope,I am currently laying it out on paper(large paper) and see what happens.
Again allan,Thank you very much for your time
Strat
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 12-01-2010 01:17
Graves says there are three types of dummy legs yours looks like a type #3

6" STD on 14'' LR 90 type 3 is

0- 17 15/16''
1- 18 7/8''
2- 20 7/8''
3- 22 5/16''
4- 22 3/4''

This is with a rap-a-round line that is 41'' down from the horizontal weld. So you'll have to measure back up 17 15/16'' from that line for your 0 point and so on from there.

If you need to know type 1, which is were the C.L. maatch up let me know I got the numbers for it to.
Parent - - By strat (**) Date 12-01-2010 02:47
Thanks Rig Hand,
What I wouldnt have give for my Blue Book at home when needed, I think i've got it, I drew the outside radius of the 14" and center lined the 6" like type #1 then parelled the 6" radius off the vertical lines on the 14" that were equaly spaced, pretty much like Allan had posted and made a templete, would have been nice to have a 14" LR to check by, gone now and time will tell.
Again Thanks Guys

Strat
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-01-2010 05:37
Hello strat, I believe you are already done with this from your last post, however, I did a bit more thinking/figuring and came up with these additional pictures. Maybe they might help others who are following this thread as well. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 12-01-2010 17:49
I'm sure you've already thought of this but is the drawing computer generated? We have our detailers print out a wraparound from the file and use it as a template.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Saddle pipe again