Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What is the hardest weld you every had to make?
- - By Blaster (***) Date 12-01-2010 02:01
What is the hardest weld you every had to make?
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 12-01-2010 02:09
Reheat tube that was 4 deep, second panel off the wall, weld was about 8'' from the ceiling. The QC gave it a look after I was done and called me back up there. I thought I had a repair for sure, but he just wanted to know how in the hell I made that weld. LOL Thank god for air bags and mirrors :)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-01-2010 15:29
Repairing some other donkey's screw-up.

Al
Parent - - By strat (**) Date 12-01-2010 18:06
Rig Hand,
that sounded like fun, i think about the hardest ones i had to make was up in the pent house right up under a header replacing the third bank back, they were 2" heavy wall P91 and we were purgen with football needles, couldnt get to the back and they were vertical and like i said they were 3 roles back. It worked out pretty good being that im left handed and my partner was right handed that way i good reach around the back on the left side watching the good ol mirror then o righty would bring it on around, we were tigin the root and hot and sticking(smaw) on out, they were 32 welds to make and not braging cause ive had my share of bad shoots but they all passed x-ray. And they was just enough room under that header for two welders, very tight
Strat
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-01-2010 20:36 Edited 12-11-2010 02:21
Sometimes I think just learning to run a 7018 uphill was the hardest thing I ever done....it took me a long time to get it down.

Someone missed a weld on an outside corner joint inside a fuel control box (box inside another box), it was already assembled and they wanted to try to save it.  I had a 2 1/2" hole to get my torch and filler thru and a 1 1/2 hole 90 degrees away I could look thru.  I  taped a dowel rod to a pencil torch to reach in there, and just taped up a lens over the small hole.  Major problem was it was .020 SS on the inside box....took quite a bit of head scratching to figure out how to purge it and put heat sinks on it, another guy was holding a small strip of copper welded to a rod against the backside of the joint....no way to clamp anything inside.   Two inches of weld and I was exhausted (stressed out).  It was a pretty ugly bead but they took it.   Would have been easier to me to build a whole new one.

Not the hardest welding day I ever had by far .....but that was a really tedious hold ur breath 2 inches of weld.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-01-2010 21:10
Laying on my back inside of a Pratt & Whitney JT8D turbofan, hanging from a 737, doing mirror welds on inconel exhaust struts during a gail on the SFO flight line.

But I gotta also go with Tommy.  Leaning to run 7018 vert was hard on me too.  :)
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 12-02-2010 00:14
I spent 2 weeks of night classes learning to run 6013 uphill. After that 7018 was a piece o cake.:-)
Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 12-02-2010 01:04
I ain't never made it to the penthouse, but that's ok with me. I have never heard anything good about it, other than header welds.

"Sure does seem like a lot of trouble just to heat up some water"  :)
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 12-02-2010 00:47
hardest weld i had to make was in jack stands. was a 4in 90 on a random.
heater tubes 3in form the wall 3in on top of each other. 4in pipe 120 wall
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 12-02-2010 03:31
Uh reheats,superheats,penthouse,waterwall,platinum tubes they all sucked but the hardest was a nuclear head to a service structure 3 hour jumps double pc's rubber gloves under welding gloves goofy hood that I wasn't used to it was hot as heck !! Another was a weld in New York in the Catskill Mts hillside was 38 degree angle pipe was too 30" off side glad I can weld with both hands!! Black liquor tank sucked too tho!!
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-02-2010 03:48
Hardest weld for me was the Dreaded 'R" stamp test. Had to weld a Peice of Aluminum to a peice of Brass and the hang it from a Full Pen Weld to a 1" carbon plate. All done with a Bailing wire root and a JB Weld fill and Cap. With a Mirror  on a Branch Connection
Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 12-02-2010 04:57
....Rolled at a 45
Parent - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 12-02-2010 05:12
Holy crap now that's hard cactus bet that vantage didn't have any problem tho
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-02-2010 12:14
Cactus, Be honest...You borrowed some dyn-O-mite from Wiley Coyote, when he got tired of chasing the Roadrunner, and used explosion welding to get that sucker to stick all of those dissimilar metals together...didn't you? :-)
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 12-13-2010 04:44 Edited 12-13-2010 05:04
For me it was the killer Bud stamp.
Had to weld 24 empty cans of Bud, after they started full
The killer was to braze the last can to the stainless flask of Chavis.
Took me four hours. And they said most took eight hours, and failed.
Hope this helps
Thank you for your time and consideration
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 12-02-2010 12:47
1" socket weld, 1" above,and coming up thru the floor,under the catwalk.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 12-02-2010 14:49
Hanging over the side of the ship I was stationed on, from 0 to 10 feet over the water line depending on the height of the next wave, trying to repair a cracked weld around a CHT (sewage) discharge outlet, all while underway and cruising about 20 knots.

Tim
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 12-02-2010 17:55
Drain stem off the forward escape trunk in the free flood of a Sturgeon class sub.  Had to belly crawl through 20 ft. of free flood to get to it, torch cut the old flange off, then weld on a new pipe.  All with about 16" vertical space, and belly crawl backwards to get out.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-11-2010 02:13
LOL Curt   very good one   at lease you were not turd chasing!
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 12-13-2010 18:14
Been there, done that.  Still can't get the smell out of my head.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-04-2010 18:17
For me, 15 degree's outside, standing on white line of road looking down in a 6ft ditch at a 2" gas line right next to the road with minimal clearance between the edge and pipe. Had to weld a service tap on. Not so bad, except for the ditch full of water and filling fast. One hay bale later and me standing on the wet hay bale, mirror welding the backside of the tap. Another mirror weld was on some 4" chiller pipe, ran the root pass with stubs I saved and looked thru the gap on the front of the pipe to watch the root go in on the back side, hot and fill not so bad, mirror cap with the left had and 2" stubs was about all I could get in the space between the wall. Cap turned out no so bad, didn't spray water everywhere or have any leaks for that matter. That was my first ever mirror weld, very interesting.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-06-2010 07:34
Hey Blaster, I just came across these pics when I was going through some of my files. Not the hardest weld for a lot of folks out there, but definitely a challenge for my old body and lack of mirror welding skills. Had to sleeve some fuel lines to meet EPA requirements, required welding inside of a containment box, my flexibility and out of position skills were challenged a bit.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 12-10-2010 20:14
Nice Allan

Good to know you are still nimble enough for that!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-11-2010 02:15
reminds me of the inside a pill days Allen      I wish I could still bend like that   nice
Parent - By rcwelding (***) Date 12-11-2010 18:26
Nice pictures... That looks painful...!!!

RC
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 12-07-2010 17:40
Had to make a repair on the foot rest pipe that ran around the bottom of the bar at this gentlemens club with dancing going on all around.  It was ruff man. Trying to do 4 things at once was brutal. ;-)
- - By Sberry (***) Date 12-02-2010 04:33
I was thinking about this a little today as I was re-welding over a previous patch someone had put on a wood furnace. The guy had worked as a welder of some type but just didn't have it together when the spots were not easy, probably a small feeder running flux and didn't get any of the hard spots. As simple as it is makes one wonder doesn't it? Sometimes I guess there is no substitute for that "seat time" welding over crap in hard places over years, nothing really technically hard about it other than being tedious.
  I do one the other day also where the repair would actually have worked had the guy been a better welder, where it was out in front of him he didnt do too bad but where it was a reach and hard to see the weld failed.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-02-2010 13:05
I've done the nightmare mirror welds in boilers and I have done the pipeline welds in flooded trenches but I think the hardest weld was what should have been a basic repair.
Had a hole in a feed chute in a gold mine in Northern Australia, would have taken 5 minutes to weld a patch but they refused to shut down for 5 minutes.
The chute was full of slurry which is a mixture of water and dirt - I have welded over water many a time but the mixture of water and dirt was totally different.
Tried shoving bits of wood in the hole to stop the flow of slurry so I could weld the patch but no luck.
Got it closed up after 4 hours - should have taken 5 minutes.
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 12-02-2010 14:13
Welded metal parts furnace together at a chemical demilitrization plant it sucked to like a 30' long pizza oven !!
Parent - - By Johnny Walker (***) Date 12-02-2010 14:14
Put about 5 mailboxes on a drilling rig
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-02-2010 18:37
Inside the containment area in a Hot Nuke during an outage. Making a full penetration weld on an "I" Beam with 2 mirrors and welding about 6" behind my right ear. Cleaning slag and grinding under these conditions are WORSE than the actual welding. Everything is radioactive and so you don't dare wipe the stinging sweat running into your eyes. No one wants to do the Shower scene like from the movie "Silkwood"! Those Health Physics folks are masochistic perverts.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 12-06-2010 00:37
20 inch overhead slip on flange 6 inches off the floor in the corner in an argon tower, head laying in a pile of dust welding with stainless stick

building boxes around cracks in the cat cracker at Good Hope Refinery with catalyst blowing out at 1300 degrees. pressure blowing your weld right off the vessel, chip the slag and nothing there. too damn hot!

took a tube welder test once underneath a fab table, 10 inch pipe, tig root, coupon set up in the middle of a bunch of other 10 inch pipes. My brother just walked by and laughed at me, my leg shaking uncontrollably cause I was in such a bind.
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 12-06-2010 03:42
Damn fellows. I feel mad when I can't get it horizontal, right in front of me!
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 12-06-2010 05:57
Inside a 48" wide 108" tall stainless steel capsule at a Coca-Cola Plant.  Had to slither through an inspection port, stand up on spray nozzles inside the thing, then reach down in between the nozzles and repair about 40 large pits in the bottom of the capsule.  I could just barely squat down far enough to reach the bottom.  I was in that thing for 5 hours.
- - By Len Andersen (***) Date 12-06-2010 20:28
Ladies and Gentlemen,
    Toss up. Vietnam as a E-4 US Army welding a 2.5 foot by 2.5 foot hopper for a rock crusher 269 Eng Bn from inside of it. I was sweated through to the extent of electrodes being put in into the stinker by another soldier so I did not have a shocking feeling. The other was wet welding using super 18 x 1/4 inch electrode with about a 6 knot current. My position was somewhere between a flag to a hurricane or gale. I hope my views are helpful.
Sincerely
Len Andersen
                     212-839-6599, 4042 FAX / 914-237-7689 (H) / 914-536-7101 (Mobil)
            800-428-4801            
POB 1529 / NYC 10116 ( $1040 per year Caller Box GPO NYC )
Parent - - By preston davis (**) Date 12-11-2010 00:39
My first weld was the hardest one I ever made
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 12-13-2010 01:34
This is hard answer since i've made many hard welds. I'd say the hardest so far was when I was welding on a 50ft aluminum boat for the coast guard. the boats were fitted and welded out upside down I was in what was called the deck house of the boat and I had about a foot of clearance height wise and about 3ft clearance in depth all the while standing on about a 3 ft from the ground steel crate. I had to snake my body into a tight hole to weld one of the major support beams for the boat. I can remember making a homemade fire retardant bib to keep myself form burning up. I must have gone through about 4 packs of resperator filters in that little area that day. I always dreaded that part of the boat.

Lesson learned you can't pay me enough to do that again from the money I was making it wasn't worth it but it was a great learning experience.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What is the hardest weld you every had to make?