Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Updates
- - By WELDTECH (*) Date 12-02-2010 20:42
I have an employee that was qualified 3G, 4G in 9/10/03.  I have verified that he has been working in the welding field continually since he was qualified.  Can I update his qualification without retesting him?  How do I document that he is qualified through my company?  Can I create a new Form E-4 for him sstating that it is an update of his original qualification?
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-02-2010 22:18 Edited 12-03-2010 10:32
WELDTECH
Not really enough information to give a good answer.
AWS D1.1 gives you the owner the responsibility of your welders qualification.
If you want to document his continued performance of whatever process that is your responsibility.
I don't know the companies you do business with and what they ask for.
Do they ask for WPS's for the joints and process's you produce for them?
But the short answer is anyway you want, I maintain the weldor's original test record and keep a log of their performance in the different process they hold qualifications in.
If they don't weld in a process qualified in for a period close to 6 months I have them perform a weld on some scrap and witness that and record it onto a log.
But Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By WELDTECH (*) Date 12-03-2010 19:08
Sorry, I didn't give enough information.  The employee was hired by the Job Site Super on an out of state project.  He had a qualification card from Herron Testing Lab with 3G,4G qualifications, and has been steadily employed as a welder since qualifing.  He's been working for us for a month and is very good.  Must he retest to update his qualifications?
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 12-04-2010 09:59
WELDTECH
That is a bit better, I will use AWS D1.1 as the code and Clause 1.4.2 to tell you, if I were you I would retest.

If the employee had been tested 7 years ago by you or your representative and had been performing satisfactorily in the process qualified there would be no reason for retesting just for the record. (We have personnel here in the shop qualified over ten years ago by testing and have not tested since. They are Qualified today just as much as they were the day after they took their test.)

But since you the employer cannot say for a fact the test even took place, (because you or your representative weren't there then) you should give a test, this would not be a retest as far as you are concerned because they haven't been qualified by you .

Testing needlessly is a waste.

The personnel here that I mentioned earlier, if were to take a test again, would fair better than the first time they took it.

They have been practicing for over ten years now and they have gotten better not worse, if they had been doing worse they would have been re-tested by now.

But again just my ΒΆΒΆ's

Good Luck

Marshall
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-03-2010 00:59
The guy hasen't tested in SEVEN YEARS.  So what if he has been in the "Welding Field"  ... Why in blazes wouldn't you test him?

You have prolly spent more in time and manhours trying to find ways not to test the guy than you would have if you just got out the plates and put him to it.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-03-2010 16:43
Repairs are less expensive than the initial production weld in his shop Larry.

Best regards -Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Updates