Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Pop-Ups
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-03-2010 16:47
Am I the only one seeing pop-up adds on this site? I only have them when I visit the Forum.

I've got one for Walmart sitting in the lower right of the screen as I type.

They suck!

Is this thanks to AWS Marketing Ross?

Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-03-2010 17:05
Al....what ads are you speaking about?....just curious because I have never seen an ad.

You may have a virus on your computer. I dunno. I had picked up one on my old computer that underlined certain words with a double green underline and whenever I hovered my mouse over those words I would see ads promoting something to do with that word.

Is anyone else seeing these ads?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-03-2010 17:09
I think Al had one too many egg nogs.

>heh<

Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-03-2010 17:20
I only see them when I'm visiting the Forum. That's why I'm asking the question.

I even have my pop-up blocker set to "high."

Best regards - Al
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-03-2010 17:36
I haven't seen anything yet, but I ain't hit the nog yet this year. :)
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 12-03-2010 18:36
I've never seen a pop-up in this site after 10+ years...
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 12-03-2010 20:06
Me neither, never.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-03-2010 21:04
That's good news.

It was very aggravating. I haven’t seen anymore this afternoon. Just the one.

Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-03-2010 22:15
Hi Al!

What is the browser you use to "surf on the net?"

If you're using an older version of MSN Internet explorer, you may still get some pop-ups, plus it wouldn't surprise none that someone from China has sent a virus to the server for this website and is causing some of the problems you describe... Get the most updated version on Mozilla Firefox and make darn sure all of your anti-virus & Malware (Spyware, etc.) software is up to date also, then change your default browser to Mozilla Firefox, and then set the pop-up blocker feature up to the highest level and you should experience a pop-up free experience while visiting the forum from then on. ;)

Why do I mention this regarding China??? Well, it's been in the news for quite some time now that they have been waging a "cyber-war" with us and other nations in order to "flex"
their proverbial "cyber-muscles," and to see whether or not they can control, and intimidate us and other nations through these and similar actions. :( :( :(

I could go on and on, but I really don't want to stray off topic. So, I'll just reiterate that the steps I mentioned above need to be taken in order for you to improve your experience not only in the forum, but also elsewhere on the internet as well as maintaining your computers security level up to a degree so that hackers cannot install virii, malware, etc. onto your computer and drive you or anyone else crazy trying to figure out what's wrong with it each time you or anyone else encounter abnormal behavior from the computer one is working with. ;)

Finally, once you have updated everything, get into the habit of checking your computer periodically to make sure your automatic settings to perform routine maintenance is actually doing just that! ;) What am I talking about? The Disk Clean Up and Disk Defragmenter functions... Do not assume that the automatic feature is always working unless -that is, you always leave your computer on and have it set up for sleep mode because that's the only way the automatic scheduled maintenance features will work. ;)

Hope this helps you out friend! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-04-2010 03:50
Al,

"Keep the Forum Commercial Free - No Advertisements"

I think someone may be playing games with you.
Or, the excess egg nog is a perfectly viable explanation,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 12-04-2010 05:27
I just had a problem trying to pull up the forum it said "nameless forum" something about could not connect to socket something...something. It stayed that way for about an hour, have you seen this before. Thanks

Ronnie
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-04-2010 11:47
Hi Ronnie,
I've seen that happen before, I usually just log out and log back in and it seems to fix the broken link for whatever reason.

Hope that helps,
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-04-2010 15:49
Hello Ron;

Same thing here. I tried to check the site late last night and saw th same message.

No pop-ups this morning.

Al
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 12-04-2010 14:40
No pop-ups here.

Griff
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-04-2010 19:26
Al

I don't have them.

Good Luck

Marshall
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-04-2010 20:10
I must have a little piece of malware that wormed its way into my system. I just had it appear on my homepage as well as the Forum site.

Walmart should be smart enough to know that using such tactics does nothing to endear them with their customers.

Al
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-05-2010 18:55
I bet if you have the Walmart links in the pop-up followed it is NOT coming from Walmart.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-06-2010 03:06
Try stretching a condom over Your modem...
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Pop-Ups