Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Helmets To Hardhats program
- - By commonarc (**) Date 12-06-2010 22:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vaFh7sK70

Any recent military vets looking for work should look into this program.

The union trades need people who can actually show up on time and work.  The Helmets to Hardhats vets I've worked with have been, without exception, the best!  The Vets are better workers than the sons or cousins of whatever union bigshot who walked them in.    There's not much work available these days and the video has a large BS factor, especially in regards to the pensions which are in bad shape.  It still may be worth a look because the wage is still pretty good.  The trades need you guys.  BAD!

Thanks
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 12-08-2010 10:43
Does the union give you credit for field time as a welder or do you have to start at day one?  I currently have around 2yrs. experience but by the time I get home it'll be 18 months since I touched my last stinger so I know I'll be more than a little rusty.
Parent - By commonarc (**) Date 12-08-2010 12:01
I know welders get priority vs non-welders.  If you have documented training, even better.  You'll still have to complete the apprentice program but the starting rate is pretty good. Should be close to $20/hr , maybe more depending in your location.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-08-2010 12:36 Edited 12-08-2010 12:38
I'm part of that. Sent in apps to the 798 and Boilermakers out of Muscle Shoals, Alabama. I got on the apprentice call list for the BM's, seems like I was #2 but that's been over 6 months ago. I know on the Boilermakers app they ask if you can weld, 3g, 4g, 5g, structural, pipe etc and asked for documentation on any papers you had showing it. All the trades are part of this program but BM's and 798 paid best for apprentice. As was stated though, not much work going on so they are likely just keeping the guys and gals they have on hand busy. Your experience in welding played a good part in where you would be placed as far as the level...sorry, it's all kinda foggy to me since I have slept several times since I've done the paperwork. You can go to the H to H website and locate your "guy" that takes care of your area, http://www.helmetstohardhats.org/ I called my rep and he told me what I needed to do. You'll have to have a raised stamp copy of your dd214 which will be submitted to H to H for their records before they will give you full membership into the program. I got a copy of mine online from the archives in St. Louis, it's free and they sent two with the raised notary stamp. Also, if you have a service connected disability that gives you an edge up on the other guys as well. Seems like a pretty good program, would probably work better if the economy was not so far in the toilet.

Each trade gives a first year apprentice a certain percentage of Journeymen pay. BM's was something like 60-65% around here, Pipefitters about two years ago was around $11.00/hour and think it was something like 50%. It'll probably depend on your area too.
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 12-08-2010 17:13
That's pretty good info.  You are correct about the lack of work.  There's not enough to keep even half the boilermakers working these days. 

I think the steamfitters start off at 40% of journeyman's wages.  Boilermakers are the highest with 65%.  You get a 5% increase every six months provided you complete the required apprenctice schooling and assignments.  They used to let you go to school more often when the work was slow and you were laid off.  I know some guys who completed the four year apprenticeship program in under 3 years.  Not sure if they still do this but you could get up to full scale very fast.  Plus if they sent you out of town for work, you got full rate.  Good luck and I sure hope more veterans apply as I'm sick and tired of working with losers.
Parent - By HELLTACO (*) Date 12-09-2010 04:17
We had a nives to pool cues program in my hood but the pool cues kep on gettin broke.  I guess the hard hats get messed up to when they cook chicken in them.
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 12-09-2010 16:19
Thanks for the info.  I have 2 yrs. of welding school and about 2 yrs. of field experience so I might look into that when I get back home.  I just want to work as a civilian again and not have to deal with dumb ass afgans.
Parent - By commonarc (**) Date 12-10-2010 00:17 Edited 12-10-2010 00:23
Good luck my friend.  Stay safe.

Just be aware that Union work is very liberal when it comes to politics.  It's not for everyone.
Many, many members are disgusted with the leadership of our trade unions but are too intimidated to speak up.
The members tend to drive big gas guzzling trucks, own firearms, hunt, etc.
The Union Bosses tend to support politicians (with your dues) who want to ban or restrict all of the above.

It's coming to a head and there's plenty of unhappy members these days.

Just giving you a heads up.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Helmets To Hardhats program