Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / a local union... to be or not to be
- - By mcavana (**) Date 09-28-2002 21:40
I am about to graduate from welding school soon, and i am starting to look at my options. For at least the first few years I need to stay in my home town. My main options are ship yard work, local power company, fabrication shops, or a local union that does a little of everything. I have a wife and two children, so insurance is a big consideration. My understanding is that the union is an apprentiship (SP) program. It is a 5 year program, but they will count my school as 2 of the 5. Apparently after completing the program I am titled "Journeyman" whatever that is.... all the jobs seem to start out about the same in pay. Obviously sooner or later I will have to travel some, but with 2 young children I am trying to avoid that at all costs for now. I just need to make a decent amount of money in the beginning to make up for all the money i didn't make while attending school. (I held a full time job but was not able to work any of the overtime my budget is used to) I have heard plenty of good about the union, but what is the bad that nobody's telling me? what is a journeyman? If you were my father, what advice would you give me?

thanks for your help, I know this is a complicated subject.
Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 09-29-2002 00:38
apprentice = somebody who is still learning the trade.

journeyman = somebody who can work in the trade on their own and knows what they're doing.

the only bad things i've heard about union work is you usually have to travel a lot and there are times of unemployment. i tried to work for a union once...the start time for their big job kept getting pushed back and i got tired of waiting for them to employ me. you have to be flexible w/ your schedule. you never know for sure when you're gonna be employed, but i've heard that when you ARE employed it's great money. but, unfortunately, most union work is involved w/ new construction which means you could get sent all over the state or into other states for work. and i've heard the benefits in a union are unsurpassed by what other companies have to offer.

also, there are a few different types of unions that have welding in their job descriptions: Ironworkers, Boilerworkers, Steamfitters, Pile Drivers and Divers, and Carpenters (yes, i've been told the carpenters have some welders too...hehehehe).
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-30-2002 01:31
My dad was a carpenter. If I remember correctly the whole title is the United Brotherhood of Carpenters Joiners and Millwrights. Millwrights install machinery in factories and such and thus utilize welding and other metal skills. I assume that at one time such machinery would have been supported on heavy wooden structures and that as the structures evolved into steel the carpenters kept the work.

Bill
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 09-29-2002 00:42
"Journyman" is a skilled craftsman that can work with out supervision.
Depending on what part of the country you are in the next step up is Master.

For Master in some states you need to take a state presented test that will licensen you to operate your own buisness.

Thats not really necessary for welders though, thats mainly Electrical, Plumbing Heating and Air conditioning. How ever if you have a masters license you can hire Journymen to work for you.

In some industrys the person incharge of all Craftsman and there supervisors is called a Master Mechanic some call them General Forman or Superentendent.

If you can get in the Union and get the training you will never regret it.
I am not promoting Unions just the formal training they can provide. Years ago companys use to offer apprentiships but now days offer very little in the way of training.

The Union is not a blood oath type thing, you are not bound for life should you not like it.

As a Union hand you are confined to the negotiated wages no manner how good of a hand you are.

Another bad thing about the Unions is they can sometimes be just like the Executives at Enron, World com and a few others. But at least you get vote on who is gonna rob you in the Union.

If you want to move beyond an hourly wage earner you can withdraw from the Union or just quit. In some constuction Unions you can with draw and keep some of the benifits.

Power plants usually have out standing training programs (The ones I worked in did any way)

Travel is another like or dislike issue not a must. My wife and kids loved traveling with me from coast to coast.

Now my advise! Take the job that stands to net the best pay right away and get your #@&^%* back in school! Get a "Welding Engineers" degree or something like it. There are no limits to the field of welding, only the ones you impose upon your self.

You maybe industructable today but today slips away before you know it. You need to know alot more than just how to lay down a good weld in this day and age.

I have 3 daughters and they all can weld pretty good, but not for a living.
Parent - By magodley (**) Date 09-30-2002 18:42
Most of the Building Trade Unions have a web site. They do offer great training while you are earning. Also check out the US dept. of Labor web site. In a trade union, your insurance is not employer dependent. Completing an apprenticeship program will enhance your employability with any company should you decide to work for one company.
Parent - By boilermaker (**) Date 10-02-2002 23:03
First and foremost, I have to say that going in to the Union is probably one of the best things that I ever did...I never struck an arc till I got in the trade, never knew how to rig anything, use a cutting torch, and the like.....When I first got in I was 19, college wasn't my thing, so I turned to the union for a job....and 6 years later I have a great career that I can do anything with....I don't travel much, and matter of fact last year I only spent 3 weeks away from home. I made almost 100,000 last year with two months off. Travel however is sometimes an issue...if we get back to Reaganomics like the 80's, better buy a travel trailer and hit the road if there's any work period...Being in a shop doesn't guarantee a lifetime job either... Union's have it's pros and cons, but the biggest thing, is you get insurance, and a pension and a annuity(at least inthe Boilermakers). Good welders can go anywhere and I do if I want...I work nuclear facilities, boilers, refineries, paper mills, and if I so desired, I could go to the shipyards... Pipefitters also have a pretty good gig going....You can look down on Unions as being crybabies or whathave you, but the bottom line is there is a 40 hour work week because of them...Probably 70 percent of the labor laws were enacted because of the unions....You have the representation on a local and international level that you can depend on and you have the security of making a good wage...Right now I make 35.00 an hour straight time.... anything after 8 is time and a half, saturdays' are time and a half, and sunday is double time.....However, one thing to remember, don't spend more than you can afford on unemployment...you never know what's going to happen. If you get into an apprenticeship, learn all that you can about the particular trade you get in to...don't just be another golden arm.... If you can't get the piece in position to weld it, you haven't done the most important part....it's got to get there before you can weld it...
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / a local union... to be or not to be