Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pictures of old steel trusses from late 1800's
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 12-13-2010 22:54
Retrofitting lattice trusses and columns
Attachment: carnegiehall001.jpg (901k)
Attachment: carnegiehall002.jpg (894k)
Attachment: carnegiehall003.jpg (0B)
Attachment: carnegiehall005.jpg (0B)
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 12-13-2010 23:31
That looks fun!
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 12-14-2010 02:24
Joe P. , Good to see the boys from I.W. Local #3 gettin' some work!!!!! Lot of good welders there but I see some REWORK areas. Startin' a job right down the road on Penn Ave. in the strip, right after holidays are over!!!! Pittsburgh home of dem' Stilers'
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-14-2010 14:35
No disrespect here Smooth operator but, Joe is working on site @ Carnegie Hall just above midtown Manhattan (57th Street? Sheesh it's been so friggin long! :( ) in NYC. ;) The IW local would be local 40 also, and any ornamental work would have local 580 on it.

One thing is for sure... They DO NOT know how to pronounce "Carnegie" properly in NYC, because once I moved to the "Burgh" back in the beginning of 1995, the local folks of Western PA kept correcting me in the way I would pronounce "Carnegie Hall" and poke fun at me because of my own distinct New York City accent which was already diluted to the point that it only became prevalent when I tried to articulate my message or express myself when I felt strongly about something... There's also a slight bit of New Jersey in me that reveals it's ugly head every once in awhile also... Bada - bing!!! :) :) ;)

Hey Joe! Are there any local 361 members on site there? Finally, please keep showing us the pictures if you can because that is real American history being shown to us there and I for one really do appreciate it!!! :) :) :) Thanks Joe!

Hey Smooth! Wouldn't you agree that Troy Aumua Polamalu is a strong candidate for the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year award??? If not the strongest??? I know I do!!! :) :) :)
HERE WE GO STEELERS - HERE WE GO!!! ;)

P.S. We cannot leave out the NFL Officials favorite target to fine & penalize James Harrison, or outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, #56 either as being amongst the top candidates also!  I have already contributed to Harrison's fund, and I know of many more Pittsburgh Steelers fans who are doing the same, so spread the word bro! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 12-14-2010 15:16
ssbn727: Geez , I thought the only Carnegie Hall was in the Burgh" birthplace of steel" 3/4 of the area is named Carnegie . Sorry I should of paid more attention in Social Studies instead of STUDYIN' the females in class !!!!! As for the STILERS' , I think the Officiating in the game was "onesided" the league must be gettin' tired of the dem' STILERS' being in the playoffs!!!!! How about Ben playin' w/a busted up nose ( a true warrior).  Troy should get award & EVERYBODY in the BURGH is helpin' w/fines!!!!!
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 12-14-2010 14:50
Cool pics Joe! I'm still looking for the info that I have on UT testing in the cold. I thought I had it electronically but I was wrong so now I'm looking through my books.
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 12-14-2010 15:20
Joe, Sorry had wrong Carnegie !!!!!! But I know I would rather be in Pittsburgh than NY. Did 2 jobs w/ I.W. out there & NEVER GOING BACK !!!!!!!!Pittsburgh home of dem' STILERS !!!!!!
- - By Pat (**) Date 12-15-2010 20:21 Edited 12-15-2010 20:24
Those beams that are riveted together remind me of the GM plant in Janesville, WI. It is closed now, but on standby in the event GM has a product for it. When I left in 1992 they still had many of those old style riveted beams in the original part of the factory. I was surprised that through all of the gutting and preparations for the new models over the years that they were still there, and had not been replaced.

During one model change they lifted an entire portion of the building creating a 2 story area. When they did this, they welded heavy plate on all 4 sides of some of these old beams making them look like large steel tubing. Then they jacked these up. It was quite a project. If they ever demolish that building I would like to get a small section of that old beam. I think with all the paint on it, it has probably doubled it's thickness.

Is there a particular name for this type of beam/support that are rivited together?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-15-2010 23:11
Hey Pat

Are you still in Janesville?

If you are, were neighbors.

That old plant in Janesville is something else.
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 12-16-2010 00:53
We have a lot of old bridges around here that are built that same way. Still in use everyday.
Parent - - By Pat (**) Date 12-16-2010 23:00
Hi Lawrence,

Yes, that plant is something else. I think if they ever decided to level that place, whoever won the scrapping contract would be instantly rich. I never have lived in Janesville, unfortunately I live in a township South of BTC and just South of the power plant..........take care.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-17-2010 02:04 Edited 12-17-2010 02:17
I agree with blaster looks like fun to me!!   Joe I think it is amazing to get to work on such a historical structure....Take more pictures!!!!!!!

I will post pics of the SS job we are bidding if we get it....I got asked this morning if I am scared of heights and if we could do it.  LOL  I am only scared of widths.   Anyway a bunch of 24" sch 10 they need welded on a water tower with no sugar and no purge....I said no problem.  Relax guys it is flanges.  Anyway I hope we get it because I know yall would get a laugh out of seeing my old fat but up there welding it out.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pictures of old steel trusses from late 1800's