Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Performance metric for welding
- - By Kix (****) Date 12-15-2010 12:50
Does anyone have any recomendations for how to find some good data on how to measure the four metrics of welding efficiency (Quality, cost, productivity and Safety)?  I know some of you guys have been down this road before and might be able to help a brother out.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Kix
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-20-2010 23:25
Kix

Here is a start
https://www.awspubs.com/download/previews/ARE-12PV.pdf
Also the AWS has a Certified Welding Supervisor ticket,  when applied this knowledge would be beneficial.
There is no easy straight answer to your question.
All of the four are dependent on personnel, facility, equipment, and atmosphere.
Quality, cost, productivity and Safety should be analyzed, discussed, and goals determined to hone the variables out.
But Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 12-25-2010 21:35
Thank you for your help.  I'm really starting to get interested in the CWS certification and may look further into it now.  Sounds like i may be very beneficial.  Fo the money it better be. ha ha  Thanks again!

Ray C.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-26-2010 23:14
Ray 

I don't know how valuable the CWS certification can be, unless your employer is willing to elevate your salary because of it.

I would however encourage anybody above the entry level to study the CWS training materials.  They are flat out the best data I know of when it comes to communicating a valid, tested, and common sense approaches to welding process control and profitability.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Performance metric for welding