Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Repair of cast iron engine blocks
- - By Steven Naber Date 12-17-2010 15:21
I am looking for a procedure for repair welding of cast iron engine blocks. Preferably using the powder welding process with ni-si-b powder. SMAW process procedure is also welcome. The project consists of welding pre-drilled 1" dia. holes into the water jacket, made for access to cavitated areas in the water jackets of any given block size and design. No problem repairing the cavitition, just filling the 1" hole. Also, should a cast iron plug be used, or not?
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 12-17-2010 16:55
I recommend that you refrain from hot powder spraying on complex shapes such an engine block.  Temperature differentials will often cause existing cracks to elongate and new cracks to form.  In my experience cold powder spray deposits were not homogenous enough to give good tensile strength and water tightness.

If you are drilling holes for inspection purposes, you are just looking for induced trouble.  If you need to check for additional cracks, you should just consider blanking off the openings with steel plates and rubber hole plugs and hydro testing with soapy water at 30 PSIG.  If it is a sleeved engine block, this is less practical, but Eddy Crrent crack detection with a small probe is sometimes usefull.  If you must drill such large holes, consider using a core drill,and using the core as a filler plug.

If you are set on hot powder spraying, and  have an oven that can raise the whole block to over 1600 degrees, weld it in the flames at temperature, and cool it over several days, such an approach is more practical.   However,if you have the oven , you can gas weld it with cast iron/ cast iron welding rod or braze weld it with cast iron brazing rod.  these processes are a lot cheaper than powder spraying.

In my experience, you should electric weld cast iron with  99% Nickel electrode using just under 200 degrees F. localized preheat, and maximum 1 inch long passes that you gently pein with the ball of a 4 or 6 ounce ball pein hammer immediately after each pass, (before chipping and brushing off the slag).

Joe Kane
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Repair of cast iron engine blocks