Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld repair of cast iron engine blocks.
- - By Steven Naber Date 12-17-2010 15:31
I am looking for various procedures for powder welding cast iron engine blocks using a Ni-Si-B powder. Anyone offering insights regarding the SMAW process would also be helpful. The repair consists of 1" inspection holes drilled in the water jacket of any given block. There are four in each block. Should a cast iron plug be utilized? I have a procedure I am going to recommend and am very interested in the experience and knowledge of others. I wish to expand my personal knowledge to achieve a higher success rate.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 12-17-2010 15:50
Why don't you just remove a freeze plug to look at the water jackets? If the head(s) are off a flashlight and mirror can also be used? I would tap the hole and install a pipe plug, welding these holes will be very involved and expensive. good luck!
Parent - - By Steven Naber Date 12-18-2010 01:04
These holes are drilled from the area under the intake. These blocks are being refurbished and the powers that be don't want pipe plugs. They want welds.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 12-19-2010 23:20
You say "the powers that be"

I got to ask. Why? You make it sound as though you intend to just weld a 1" hole closed useing only SMAW filler material. Do these powers know anything about qualified Welding Procedures? I ask, because you ask for information that should be contained in a Qualified Welding Procedure.

I should hope you would consider makeing some plugs and weld them in otherwise useing SMAW is just plain dumb (IMHO).
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-17-2010 19:19
You can get some pretty small and inexpensive bore scopes with built in light on the end that work well.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-20-2010 16:48
I have a pretty decent bore scope but it's old. I saw some new ones in a flyer I get in the mail and these are super high tech now. Has the 3" plus size screen, lighted tip, picture capture, recording capabilities. I used the one I have quite a bit working on cars for finding leaks, inspecting inside of engines and all manner of things, awesome tools to have.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld repair of cast iron engine blocks.