Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Falsified Reports!
- - By qcrobert (***) Date 12-17-2010 17:14
ROUGE TECHNICIAN
Newport News
June 2009

NDT Inspector fakes report on nuclear submarine welds

Thousands of welds on US Navy nuclear submarines may need to be retested after an NDT Inspector was caught last month, signing off joints that he had not inspected.

A fellow inspector reported that the
technician has been initialling welds as OK, without actually bothering to
carry out any of the required MPI and DPI tests.

When questionedby his supervisor
the inspector admitted to falsifying
three weld inspections during his current shift

The nuclear submarine New Mexico, one of the
vessels supposedly inspected by the rouge technician. (Northrop Grumman)

The rouge inspector, who was subsequently fired by his employer Northrop Grumman had been working at the Newport News naval shipyard in Virginia. The shipyards welding database revealed that the inspector had worked at the yard for almost 4 years in which time he had either MPI or DPI tested more than 10,000 structural welding joints on at least eight submarines and an aircraft carrier.

Of the welds tested around 1,000 were either critical to the integrity of the submarines hull or involved other critical parts. The aircraft carrier and one nuclear submarine are already in service, whilst the the other six submarines are in various stages of construction. It is likely that much of the inspectors work, particularly on critical welds
will have to re inspected, although many of the welds are now unlikely to be accessible. Around 100 NDT inspectors work in the NDT department at the Newport News shipyard.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-17-2010 18:09
Thanks God our Lord, both the aircraft carrier and the nuclear sub are still afloat, which means that the critical welds were actually inspected, or that they were not so critical.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 12-22-2010 22:32
Giovanni,
I am glad that you are confident of the welds in that they have not failed in 3yrs.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-28-2010 17:42
Is the aircraft carrier the USS President Ronald Reagan?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-18-2010 15:30 Edited 12-18-2010 15:35
Old story... This topic was discussed in quite a few threads in here... Do a search on it and you'll see for yourself. ;) All of the welds have been re-inspected and it seems that there all good to go, or another "Whitewash" is going on with the press... Nothing new as it's been going on from time to time for years in various sectors of the defense industries, and it seems that the checks & balances designed within the auditing practices do indeed work!

On another note, is Brazil still hiring American certified welders because they lack enough certifed welders themselves Giovanni???
Do you get the television program called "60 Minutes" in Sao Paulo, Brazili

They're still critical welds nonetheless Giovanni...
The only difference between what you're implying is the fact that they're not critically defective or anywhere near being defective at all.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-20-2010 18:05
Yes, we get the "60 minutes", but spoken in Portuguese.
American welders hired here in Brazil? Never heard of that. As a matter of fact, I'd like to know which is the Brazilian outfit willing to pay the salaries (4 or 5 times what a Brazilian welder gets), plus living expenses, plus round trip, plus etc. etc. that American welders would earn for coming down here.
That makes an astronomical sum of money.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-20-2010 22:38
I'm not 100% sure if it's Petrobas but, the oil company owned by the richest man in Brazil has been hiring them according to the words coming from the gentleman who's name happens to elude my memory at this moment yet was being interviewed on 60 minutes and is himself worth an estimated 27 billions (8th richest man alive) dollars at the present time. ;) I remember his name now: Eikie Batista.  They're welding and fabricating the oil platforms for offshore use according to Mr. Batista.

I believe one can view the interview & episode through these links below:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7143554n&tag=contentBody;housing

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7143789n&tag=cbsnewsMainColumnArea.9

Check them out Giovanni... You'll be pleasantly surprised - if not proud of your so called "Third world country" which looks pretty much first world to me. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Falsified Reports!