Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Welding Pipe with GMAW
- - By Matt Maley Date 12-19-2010 17:08
We have a large job to weld pipe per B31.3. Our customer does not want us to use the GMAW short circuit process except for the root passes, I do understand why. Still I want to run GMAW Spray Arc for the cover passes. 90-10 gas. Any comments or tricks to make this a successful process. thx
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-19-2010 21:48
What NPS and schedule?  Is it all open root or do you have lots of O-lets, slip-ons, etc.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 12-19-2010 22:21
So, has your customer agreed to GMAW Spray? Or, are you trying to get their acceptance? Post all the details (position, materials, size/thickness..etc) and help will follow.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 12-19-2010 22:31
Spray will work well for cover and fill passes, but only if the welds are made in a positioner and rotated for a constant flat position.
If you need to work out of position, you could try spray/pulse transfer.
Also, Lincoln's STT (Surface Tension Transfer)or Miller's RMD (Regulated Metal Deposition) transfer is a new improvement to short circuiting, specifically intended for a more efficient GMAW replacement for GTAW open root welds.
If it were me I'd STT or RMD the root and pulse the rest.
90/10 works.
You might want to try 98/2 (2 is oxy). It helps the bead wet in on the toes very well.
Metalcore wire is another option. It runs like butter, nice and smooth.
I suggest letting your welders play with the options, pick a winner, qualify your procedures, and then go make money.

Tim
Parent - By Matt Maley Date 12-22-2010 16:56
Thanks Tim! I had just wrote the weld procedure and proved it for this process with a Lincoln Powerwave C300 and was after any extra info that I could get to sell this to my customer. Thanks again.

Matt
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Welding Pipe with GMAW