Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / A36 WPS for A 516 Gr70
- - By rangerod (**) Date 12-21-2010 16:47
Would a wps for A36 material cover welding A516 gr 70 material with same thicknesses? Any help would be appreciated. Would I use the same filler rods?

Rod
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 12-21-2010 18:17
You have two problems   A 36  is P 1  group 1  and  A 516 - 70  is  a Group 2  material .  Also  generally  we  ( M W D )
require  a 200 ' F  preheat  on  all 516  Gr  70 .  So I don't think so -  what kind of filler metal are you using  ?
Parent - - By rangerod (**) Date 12-23-2010 02:04 Edited 12-23-2010 02:13
ravi theCobra

We used ER70s-6 for the A36 plate. The weld will be in the flat position, rotated. Would pre heat be required for .187" thick material? I researched & kept seeing "if over .5" thick preheat" but if that is not the case I'll need to talk to the boss about it. Is there a technical book we could purcahse to reference whether or not a paticular material requires preheat or not? Thank you.

Rod
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-23-2010 04:35
Okay, I don't have an ASME to reference right now.  That said, looking at ALL my AWS codes and other reference books on A36 and 516 Grade 70 there are some things that need more info to answer with an absolute conviction.

1) A36 is a Group I when the WPS is written for non low hydrogen processes.

2) A36 is a Group II when written to low hydrogen SMAW, FCAW, GMAW, or SAW processes.

3) 516 Grade 70 is always Group II steels.  No occassion to weld (Prequalified) to a non low hydrogen process.

So, if the A36 WPS was written for a low hy process and worded to cover Group II steels, not just A36, then it could be used.

Next, Pre-heat... you are currently talking about the A36 of 3/16" thickness, BUT Also the 516 Grade 70 Group II steels up to 3/4" only need to be 32*.  If temp is lower than that THEN you would need to pre-heat to 70*.  (Same applies to the A-36 3/4" and thinner when welded within the Group I steels class). 

You must take the grade of steel, the thickness of the steel, and the ambient temp (or current steel temp) all into consideration to determine if pre-heat is REQUIRED on your material and at that particular time and situation. 

The main pre-heat difference comes around when it is over 3/4" thick.  If in the Group I class for A36 you must go to 150*.  BUT, for 516 Grd 70 or A36 in the Group II class you only need 50* on thicknesses up to 3/4".

You asked about a technical book... the Code book you are working to is the best place to go to verify what that particular code requires for pre-heat on various grades and thicknesses of steels.  But most all welding handbooks have charts with the average information for pre-heat as covered by AWS D1.1, 1.3, 9.1, API 1104, etc. 

Again, I am not looking at an ASME code.  But I don't believe these numbers will be very different.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By rangerod (**) Date 12-23-2010 15:53
welderbrent

The A36 WPS was written to use, ER70S-6 filler, would that make it non low hydrogen? If the  516 gr70 must be low hy process then I will let my boss know we need to qualify a new WPS. We have ASME section IX but no other parts of that code. Would the preheat info be located in another section of this code? I have very limited experience on ASME IX so I do not know if there were other parts of this code we are supposed to have on hand. Maybe this is why I am having difficulty connecting the "dots" concerning the code. We do not carry AWS code manuals in this facility. Thank You.

Rod
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-23-2010 16:14
Rod,

The WPS should have several different areas that will determine it's usage.

1) The process (GMAW, SMAW, FCAW, SAW, etc) and rather manual, semi-auto, auto, etc.

2) The material to be covered by the WPS: Group I, Group II, OR by M#'s, or the exact ID such as A36, A992, 1526 Grade 70, etc.

3) The joint to be fit up.

4) Pre-heat; regardless of the code MINIMUMS the WPS can call out other pre-heat to higher specs than the code.  Some codes, such as D1.8 Seismic, also have Maximum temps for pre-heat and interpass temps that must be adhered to.

5) Rather it will cover Groove or Fillet welds and in what positions.  Doesn't matter at this point if the welder is qualified for all position, if the WPS says it can only be welded flat or horizontal then he better not weld vertical.

These are not all the areas but the most critical.  Then you will also set the amperage and voltage as well as speed travelled.

To your exact question, GMAW is considered a low hy process in that it SMAW 7018 or other low hy, FCAW, and SAW are all in the same class of welding processes covered in the structural codes to handle pre-heat and other perameters in the same fashion.  So you should not require another WPS if the first one is written correctly to handle A36 with GMAW.  But there are other factors that would require a new WPS.

As to ASME codes, hopefully some of the guys with much more experience will fill you in, but I think there are at least a couple more areas of the ASME code that you need books for.  If all you have is section IX you are missing some critical sections. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-21-2010 21:28
You do not need to requalify if you are not utilizing impact testing. But you do need to make sure your procedure addresses the ability to do SA-516 by stating it applies to P1 materials. You also need to eliminate any group number designation.
You can use the same filler if the filler you use is a 70ksi filler, i.e. E7018 or ER70S-6.
Parent - - By rangerod (**) Date 12-23-2010 02:11 Edited 12-23-2010 02:15
js55

There are no impacts involved. We used ER70S-6 but was advised by Hobart tech that ER70S-2 might serve us better with puddle wet out, will consider it for future projects if it would help but for now we will be using ER70S-6 with a Quantum Arc 6 mig cap. Thank You.

Rod
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-23-2010 16:07
Strange comment from a Hobart Tech. S-2 is actually more viscous than S-6. S-6 wets better than 2. This is easily explained by the fact that 6 is deoxed with higher Si (often twice as much depending upon chemistry) which is the primary wetting agent.
Parent - By rangerod (**) Date 01-07-2011 04:55
js55

I used 70S-6 and have not had the occasion to use 70S-2 as of yet. Thanks for the info.

Rod
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-22-2010 12:16
A 516 Gr 70 is plate. A 36 may be plate or shape. I assume you're talking of plate in both cases. Otherwise, a WPS for shapes wouldn't apply for plates.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-22-2010 13:32
If I might respectfully disagree Giovanni, a WPS doesn't care about product form. Or if it does, yu are unecesariy limiting your WPS. Your WPS has to be able to handle pipe, plate, wrought fittings, forgings, castings, or it is pretty much useless.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-22-2010 13:54 Edited 12-22-2010 22:00
I would have to agree with js here Professor. 

In my very limited experience I have not seen, in use or on any sample forms, a restriction for 'Shapes'.  Only the grades of materials used which goes for shapes, HSS, plates, etc.

If qualified to direct the welding on a plate, the WPS may also be used on a wide flange beam, or a tube steel, angle iron, etc.  As long as the materials are within the same limitations, ie group numbers or direct grade of steel depending upon how the WPS writer called out the materials to be covered.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-22-2010 16:33
js and Brent,
Thankyou for the excellent explanation.
js, you might not, you MUST disagree with me if you have a different opinion.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-24-2010 00:49
Rangerod,
What is the fabrication/construction code you are working to ?
ASME IX will not give you preheat temperatures, they are generally found in the fabrication / construction code you are working to.
As the other gents have stated there is no problem using the two different steels but you must remove specific details from the WPS - list only the P number for your base metal and the F number for your filler metal.
If you list A36 and ER70S-2 on the WPS then that is all it is good for, you do not want to be writing hundreds of WPSs for all the different base metal / filler metal combinations.
Hope that helps,
Regards.
Shane
Parent - - By rangerod (**) Date 12-24-2010 07:20
Shane Feder

The only code in the shop I know we work to is ASME. I understand the idea where you are coming from with a "generic" P & F number to cover as many combinations as possible. I want to improve my knowledge in this code to help me produce the best quality welds possible, are there any reccomendations you could make to help me gain more knowledge in the ASME code like books or courses to help improve my skills? Thank you for your help.

Rod
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-24-2010 13:07
B2.1 from AWS will help you in finding the P, F, & M numbers that have been referred to.  Those numbers instead of precise listings of electrodes, materials, etc will broaden your usage of the WPS without having to have a new one for each process.

There are courses, there was one at the recent Weld Fab Convention in Atlanta.  There are other organizations that do some as well.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By rangerod (**) Date 12-24-2010 18:08 Edited 12-24-2010 18:25
welderbrent

I don't mind putting in the hard work to get myself up to par, I just needed a little direction. I'll be on the look out for courses that I can attend, hopefully on the west coast, I am looking foward to gaining more knowledge in ASME. 803056 (Al) also provided some direction for books & courses. I kinda threw myself on the fire with this job so I'm trying to catch up technically in this & other parts of my job as best I can. Thank you & everyone who provided some time & guidance to my questions. Happy Holidays.

Rod
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-25-2010 16:06
If Al recommended it then it will be very good.  You can't go wrong following his advice.

Merry Christmas, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-27-2010 16:36 Edited 12-27-2010 16:42
Interesting conversation.

If you have a copy of Section IX in front of you, look at QW/QB-422 for a listing of all the P numbers (no more S-numbers) and the group numbers.

As already mentioned, group numbers only come into play when notch toughness requirements are imposed by the applicable construction code, i.e., Section I, Section, VIII, B31.1, B31.3, etc. Already, you can see that you cannot work with Section IX alone. You need to review the requirements of the construction code to determine if the basic requirements of Section IX have been modified or expanded by the applicable construction code. Preheat, interpass temperature, and post weld heat treatment requirements are among the variables addressed by the construction code. Any additional requirements for welder qualification would also be addressed by the construction code. For example; when welding piping systems that are required to meet B31.3, High Pressure, the welders must be qualified by guided bend testing. Radiography is not a permitted alternative for performance qualification in that instance.

Listing the P-number, group number, A-number, or F-number is useless to most welders. There is no way for the welder to correlate the P-number or the group number listed in the WPS to the markings typically found on raw material. For example; pipe is typically line marked along its length with the ASTM/ASME specification, grade or alloy, diameter, and schedule (wall thickness). The P-number is nowhere to be found on the raw material as identified by the manufacturer. Likewise, the bill of materials or the drawing is most likely to list the ASTM/ASME material specification and the grade or alloy, but not the P-number or the group. This leaves the welder scratching his head. Is this material covered by this WPS or isn't it?

Before someone say, "All the welder has to do is follow the engineer's or the supervisor's instructions." Let's agree that most job shops where the vast majority of the welding and manufacturing is accomplished usually have little in the way of infrastructure to support their manufacturing operations. And the staff that is available is stretched thin (we call it lean manufacturing) and rarely have the where with all to truly understand the intricacies of welding codes.

One solution to the problem is to list the appropriate P-numbers, etc. in the WPS, but also include a reference to an annex. The annex can be a listing of all the base metal specifications, grades, alloys, etc. that is used by the contractor and that are covered by the WPS. The annex is a reference the welder can easily keep with the WPSs and is available when there is a question regarding which base metals can be welded.

When I write an annex for base metals, I include the base metal specification grade, alloy, thickness range, preheat, and the product form. I include preheat requirements in the annex because it is a convenient location to place a detailed preheat table that correlates the preheat requirements to the thickness of the base metals listed. This reduces the physical size of the WPS and provides an easy to use reference for the welders. The annex does not have to list every base metal specifications, only the one's typically used by the shop.

One word of advice, make sure you have all the applicable code sections available to review when you are working to ASME B&PV code or any of the piping codes. Section IX lists the basic requirements, but it is not a standalone document. It must be used in conjunction with the applicable construction codes for additional requirements such as preheat, whether post weld heat treatment is required or whether notch toughness testing is required. Without that information, your WPS and supporting PQR may not weather a complete review.

A second word of advice, the material groupings of AWS B2.1 include many materials not included in Section IX. Do not fall into the trap of thinking an AISI or AMS material can be substituted for an ASME approved base metal simply because it is listed as a M-number in AWS B2.1 that is the same as the P-number found in ASME Section IX. The chemical composition of the AISI listed material may be the same as that of an ASME base metal specification, but things like the mechanical processing and thermal heat treatment also can influence the mechanical properties of the metals being used. AISI does not typically publish the mechanical properties, only the chemistry.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By rangerod (**) Date 01-07-2011 04:50
Al

I came to find out we do have various other sections of ASME it just that the manuals are located in various locations in the facility. I need training as I don't have full grasp on the workings of ASME and need it to perform my duties to the best of my ability. Do you know how much a seminar would cost? Thanks again.

Rod
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-07-2011 05:56
Why not just buy the applicable ASME Sections and B31.X codes yourself and study them at your convenience? I've often spent my own hard earned cash for codes, books and tools that were "company supplied" simply because I had full access to them and they were either in pristine or at least far better shape than "company supplied".
Besides, wouldn't a seminar still cost you the price of the books PLUS instructor's fee and time off work?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-07-2011 06:21 Edited 01-07-2011 06:36
There are two courses offered by ASME that address welding. I teach one titled "Practical Welding Technology." The other course is taught by Walter Sperko on the use of  ASME Section IX.

My course covers the basics of welding processes, metallurgy, discontinuities, NDT and includes coverage of how welding procedures and welders are qualified per AWS, ASME, and military standards.

Mr. Sperko's course is focused on Section IX as the course title suggests.

You can visit the ASME website, http://catalog.asme.org/home.cfm?CATEGORY=ED&TaxonomyItemID=3081, to read the course descriptions to see which best suits your needs. There are also a couple of new on-line courses offered.

Any course offered by AWS or ASME is going to be expensive. Education is expensive, but mistakes are more expensive.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By rangerod (**) Date 01-08-2011 21:21
Superflux & Al

If I have to buy references then that is what I will have to do. I am ex-military & the way it approached skills that we needed to build on was to send people to advanced training classes, welding , cnc machining, heat treatment, cad-cam programs ect... I am in no way without experience in the welding field but our comapny is at the moment invovled with metal pressure vessels & ASME in which I have very limited knowledge. I am "getting by" right now but being the person that I am, I will not be comfortable with myself until I have a firm grasp of the intricacies of the ASME code process & the welding processes involved with our current projects. If that means classes then that is where I going to concentrate my efforts. I will bring these classes to my managments attention. I might have to deal with this on my own so I will have to start saving my pennies & get to the classes when I can work it into my budget, " It Is What It Is". What is important to me is that I now have a resource where I can turn to for help.

Thanks to all for your time & assistance, I appreciate it.

Sincerly
Rod
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-08-2011 23:33
rangerod,
What I failed to mention is, that I am in favor of quality training. In fact in 2009 (it was a slow year for work), I spent a couple of zillion bucks at Hellier just for the heck of it.
Just as I would advise those taking the CWI exam to purchase your own Code book and study materials first. When taking a certifcation test, I believe in the "failure is not an option" concept.
A few years ago, I was preparing for my CWI and had access to those "they are here in the plant somewhere" books...Yeah, I bought my own...money well spent.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-09-2011 03:06
That logic is very difficult to disagree with.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / A36 WPS for A 516 Gr70