Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Fitting very wierd copes
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-23-2010 03:02
I was fitting some 1 1/2 ss roundbar the other day in a 42" Y pipe.  The bar had to seat on the peak of the y inside and then attach to the wall of the pipe at roughly a 45.   Since the material was uber xpensive and there was not enough to make mistakes...I went and got some 1 1/2' sch 40 pvc pipe.  Used a grinder to make my copes and test fit the pvc...then I just sleeved it over the SS bar, traced it with a sharpie and cut away.   First time I have thought of or used the trick, but the pvc is definitely cheap enough to make trial templates out of.  Thought that might help somebody with strange fitting problems to tackle.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 12-23-2010 04:49
Hello Tommy, that sounds like a very ingenious, straightforward, simple, and accurate way to deal with such a challenge. Thanks for sharing. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-23-2010 04:49
I used 3" PVC pipe to mock up parts for cockpit drains on My boat, then duplicated them in 3" stainless pipe. They met at some angle that roughly looked like 45 degrees, but wasn't. It was a shoemaker job, cut some and see how it fits, but better than trying to do it in metal.

Using PVC that fits over the pipe so You can trace around it is a neet idea.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Fitting very wierd copes