Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / BIG burns (warning probably not medically approved)
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-24-2010 18:12
I got a pretty large burn (basketball sized) on the left side of my ribcage.   I got some silvadene for it....but how do you coat an area that big with silvadene and then sleep at night or wear clothes?   I do not like gauze because it loads up the cream and ends up sticking to the burn somewhere.   I just wrapped my torso in saran wrap....it will not stick and keeps the cream where it should be.  Feels kinda weird but it works.  I was worried about something that could not breathe trapping bacteria around the burn so...I washed the burn with antibacterial soap and used alcohol all around outside the burn before applying the silvadene.   If you were going to get sweaty or hot this probably is a bad idea....but in winter time it is working well so far.

I am dreading it but I am probably due to scrub the dead stuff off with dry gauze today.
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 12-24-2010 22:52
I think I'd go to a Doc. Maybe they'd have a cute nurse that would smother me with sympathy while she tortured me with the brillo pad.:-)
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 12-26-2010 18:31
OUCH.  I'd seriously think about going to the doctor.  Silvadene is the best thing to apply, and will deter bacteria, but saran wrap will not allow it to breathe, and such a large burn can have other effects on the body as well.
Although I've never had such a large burn, there are dressings that work well, and you are absolutely correct about the problems with gauze.  I like the Spenco burn pads called 2nd Skin.  They are plastic on the outer surface, but it still breathes, AND, they leave a moist gel in contact with the burn that keeps it from drying out, all without sticking (these need to be taped in place).
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 12-26-2010 22:41
There's a thing called second skin, I think that was the name.  Just like saran wrap, but it lets the wound breathe.  I think that I would let a doc look at it.
Parent - - By Nitesky (**) Date 12-27-2010 00:56
Go to a Doc.  Burns infect easily and these days that could mean the Flesh Eating Disease.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-27-2010 03:44 Edited 12-27-2010 03:47
Let your dog lick it clean every evening after work. Now according some show I seen on Animal Planet (Discovery Channel???) awhile back, canine saliva is supposed contain several antibiotic agents, and letting Fido have a go at it...surely can't hurt any worse than Nurse Ratchet and her trusty Brillo Pad...And think of the bond you and Ol' Yeller will have after you're all healed up!
Seriously, wish you well and definately go back to the Doctor if there is ANY sign of infection.
Burns do tend to leak a lot of fluid during the healing process, and hurts worse when it dries up in a week or two than it does now.

Happy Holidays

"GOD's not punnishing me 'cause I got my face burnt. If GOD was gonna punnish me... He'd have burnt my DICK!
Richard Pryor
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-27-2010 19:27
Just make sure the dog doesn't lick his ass just before you let him go at it.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 12-27-2010 21:59
Damn man, what happened?
Were you in a tight spot and your clothes caught on fire?
I hate it when that happens...

Tim
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-28-2010 00:59
Yea I was in a 42" y section pipe...had my feet pointed toward the only exit of course.  Bout half my shirt burned away before I got out.

THX for the well wishes...I think I will pass on the dog treatment...mine might think it tastes good and eat me alive!  I am taking antibiotics and keeping a close eye on it.  My wife did the scrub for me about 30 minutes ago..feels GREAT~~!!@@!~!
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 12-28-2010 17:02
Antibiotics; I guess you saw the doc.  Good.  Yeah, that's typical for a burn covering a large area, as preventative medicine, even if it isn't infected.
Your skin is the largest organ in your body, and damage to significant areas can be life threatening.  Hope you keep improving, and feel better!

I'm sure many here have read this:
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/showthread.php?21902-Student-dies-from-welding
That was caused by a sweatshirt catching fire.  The synthetic fibers (and especially the fuzzy interior) are extremely flammable, and that severely burned his entire chest.  That, and synthetic fibers such as nylon or polyester will melt to your skin, causing much more damage.

So, what kind of shirt were you wearing?  Even cotton can burn on you, but cotton can be treated.   Just know that the flame retardant treatments for cotton will wash out after a couple of washes.  I've seen these re-proofing instructions online; use at your own risk (but it's got to be better than nothing):
http://www.howtodothings.com/fashion-personal-care/how-to-make-clothing-fire-retardant
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-29-2010 01:32 Edited 12-29-2010 01:41
I know boric acid (or borax) is used as a home remedy pesticide....not sure I want it touching my skin all day.   I was wearing cape sleeves with a bib over a plain jane 100% cotton tee.  A welding coat would have saved me...my stupid mistake.  Those "flame retardant" shirts the uniform companies use have plastics in them.....yes they will not just flame away and or burn uncontrolled....BUT I hate them because where they do burn they melt like plastic and stick to your skin like napalm....it is a joy to remove.   There just really is no substitute for careful planning and cowhide (or a good synthetic facsimile thereof).  Seriously what other clothing material do you know of that will hold up to a liquefied piece of steel and protect the wearer save a full on firesuit.   I knew I needed a welding jacket, but had none on hand and did it anyway..my stupid mistake.  First time I have ever caught on fire in my 23+ years.

BTW  the saran wrap is alright for going to bed but during work it is problematic and it makes you sweat something fierce.  I am going with the non stick gauze pads smeared with silvadene and an ace bandage to hold them for work.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-29-2010 03:22
Back in the mid '70s when We were kids I was burning off a piece of 1/2x2" with a welding rod, I didn't have a torch yet. My friend was watching, He was wearing red nylon sneakers that were popular then, and tattered bell bottom blue jeans. He got some sparks in His sneaker, and by the time He realised what was happening and put out the fire, a triangular section of His pants leg up to His knee and the side of His sneaker was gone. He wasn't burned much, I guess the bell bottoms were pretty far from His leg.
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 12-29-2010 04:58
Its used to treat children's clothing (they need to be fire retardant by law, and there aren't many other treatments with as safe a record), mattresses (same deal), cigarettes (this is what makes new cigarettes self extinguishing), home insulation (where other chemicals are used as well), and is even used in certain eye washes.
Still, I don't blame you, and haven't tried this on my clothing (although I've got a bin of work shirts with plenty of holes that I might give it a try with).

On the note of children's clothing: current recommendations are to keep sleepwear snug fitting.  Loose fitting clothes burn easier, with more access to air.  It seems that clothing stretched over skin doesn't burn as well, not that I'm one who buys into the superhero look (since as I say, "I'm in shape; round's a shape, right?").

So, what holds up as well as cowhide.  Well, wool for one (although I couldn't imagine wearing a shirt that itchy), and of course there's nomex.  Nomex shirts (not just in firefighter colors) can sometimes be had on eBay for reasonable prices (oops, did I give a secret away?).  Unfortunately, all of these are stuffy and hot, and nothing feels like cotton, but a nomex shirt is still way lighter and cooler than leather.

The non stick gauze soaked in silvadene is probably better than the "second skin" pads, since those are just sterile water (in gel form), and don't provide the antibacterial function of the silvadene.

Anyway, we all make mistakes, it's the price of being human.  Hopefully we can all take a lesson from this.
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 12-30-2010 03:37
Keep it clean and see a DOC, you dont know what might be burned into your flesh. It can lay dormant. I picked up a brick when I was about 17 and it had just come out of a kiln that was about 1k, they just pulled a sample when I came along and thought I would clean this up, ouch. It pelled the hide off and left meat exposed, got infected and all most lost my hand. Take care friend
Parent - - By Eric Carroll (**) Date 01-08-2011 22:51
One of my guys picked up a 10" channel we had just straightened with a rosebud, he was going to hoist it to his stomach and then to his shoulder kind of like a clean and jerk power lift. He grabbed it with a wide grip and pulled it up to his stomach right in the same spot that was just dull red hot. I heard his skin sizzle like bacon ,but stinky. He had a very bad burn about the size of a dinner plate. he kept it covered in saran wrap and coated with triple anti-bacterial for  a few weeks and it healed fine.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-08-2011 23:37
Did he get to his shoulder too? That would have been really entertaining to watch!
Parent - - By Eric Carroll (**) Date 01-12-2011 17:57
It never got to his shoulder, he yelled like crazy and threw it on the ground. It was pretty funny, this guy is really reactive to getting hurt. he got some fingers mashed one day and spun around on the ground like Curly from the three stooges.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 01-20-2011 04:33
Hows the owie heelin Tommy? Haven't seen anything about it lately so thought I'd ask.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-20-2011 05:44
oh thx for askin.....I have put up the silvadene a couple of weeks back, scabbing over, healing and peeling......but everything is great, no infection, not bothering me at all anymore.  I will not forget it anytime soon tho.....I am not climbing in another pipe like that without a full fitters rig on.  I did get some "bulwark"   (fire resistant) jeans and shirts since then....I can report they pretty much work as advertised.  Matter of fact I was doing some overhead plasma in a really odd joint configuration today...no flame ups and I was basically taking a bath in it.

I feel blessed it did not get infected.  I feel blessed the worst is over to boot.

Thank you so much for asking
TOmmy
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 01-20-2011 18:14
So glad to hear it!

I just happened to have bought a nomex pullover fleece on eBay a couple of weeks ago.  $35 delivered, and it's as warm soft and fuzzy as a sweatshirt, with no burn risk, from Massif Mountain Gear.    Highly, highly recommended (not that I have anything to do with them) if you like that kind of stretchy sweatshirt.  Very comfortable, but I was glad I bought it one size larger.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / BIG burns (warning probably not medically approved)