Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Looking for a welding school
- - By Alyssa Date 10-01-2002 20:14
Hi!
I'm very interested in a welding career, and am currently looking for a good welding school around Allentown PA, State College PA, or Manchester NH.
I've started looking up schools, but I seem to be grabbing at straws here. I'm not really sure what type of programs to get into. I'm interested in the quickest, cheapest way to start a welding job. I already did five years at another university for an art degree and am not interested in another five. :)

Any advice you could give me would be highly appreciated!!
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 10-02-2002 14:35
For information concerning Welding course offerings at the
Career Technology Center where I am an instructor, visit our web site at http://ctc.tec.pa.us or contact me directly at fbrieden@ctc.tec.pa.us

Maybe we can get you started in the right direction to meet your needs. We are located in Scranton Pennsylvania, about 80 miles from Allentown and about 95 miles from State College.
Parent - - By addizone Date 10-04-2002 16:23
Alyssa,

See my post of 9/26 on this site under the "Training " forum.
SUNY Delhi is midway between the two locations you mentioned.
Be careful of schools which offer courses which are not transferrable as
true college credits. Our Certificate and Associate Degree graduates
are certified welders, but they can also transfer to Bachelor Degree
programs in Welding Management, Welding Technology, or Welding Education.

check out : http://techdivision.delhi.edu

Dr. Addison, Dean of Technology Division
SUNY Delhi
Parent - - By Alyssa Date 10-18-2002 18:11
I've got another question: Is it better to just jump right into a job, or go get some training (certificate/Asociate Degree/diploma) before i start working?
With only my 5 hours of experience, i was offered an apprenticship to a construction weldor. I'm wondering if i even need to go to school then...

What do you guys think?
oh, and thanks for your responses from my first question. I'm so glad i found this site!!
Parent - By Wildturkey (**) Date 10-22-2002 14:44
On the job training can be great but it may limit your capabilities. You may be able to find a job that teaches you a single welding process like SMAW (Stick) but this would limit you to that process. My advice is getting the training at a college. Not only will you learn multiple processes but you will also know the fundamentals. This will help you get better pay and open other doors like management.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 10-23-2002 04:05
If this apprenticeship is a union program it may be very good education indeed. The union itself would have info. Perhaps union programs are something you should look into anyway.

Bill
Parent - By chris kipp (*) Date 10-22-2002 14:30
Have you checked out CIT (career Institute of Technology)...we are in Easton and can provide you with all of your weld training needs.
Call me @ (610) 258-2857 ext 3430.
Chris Kipp Weld. Tech. Instructor
ckipp@citvt.com
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Looking for a welding school