Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / aerospace welding
- - By Tazmanianwelder Date 12-31-2010 02:43
I just applied for a job TIG welding aircraft parts and they go by the AWS D17.1 code.  I understand the material thicknesses range from .020" to 035" and they use a wide variety of metals. I was hoping someone could give me some info in regards to what to expect or the level of skill required. Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-31-2010 10:04
Taz.

If you can weld .020 to the .035 stainless in a fillet joint with no burn thru on either piece, you will be in good shape.

Can give more help if you tell us a bit more about the materials you will be specifically tested on.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-31-2010 17:21 Edited 01-02-2011 01:11
I agree ...that is typical of one of the coupons you will do per alloy group to certify.   Generally speaking the certification test is "usually" ridiculously harder then the typical work being done.  In addition more then likely you will have a 5f and 6g in a 1/2" tube with similar wall/plate thickness  .030 or so....no burn thru or suckback on the 5f plate.  They give you such a small tube because it is harder to get around easily then say a 2".  It sounds harder then it really is.  Just do not drink too much coffee on your testing days and you will be fine.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / aerospace welding