Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / api certifications
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-05-2011 00:01
im seeing alot olf jobs out there for API  510 and 635 inspectors  anybody out there take these tests are they open book
is there a seminar out there like for AWS any info would be great
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-05-2011 01:03
Half of the test is.
http://www.api.org/certifications/icp/
Code West has the premier test prep
Mark Smith has the best training if you want more out of the class than just how to pass it.
http://www.msts-training.com/
There are other places for training. Do a Google search on API Test Training
Now be advised, you need to have experience in tanks (653) Pressure Vessels (510) and/or Pressure Piping (570) to qualify to take the test.
If you have the discipline and ability to study code books you can pass the test without a prep class.
Cost to do this is in the $25-3000 range.
If you take the prep class you are looking a $5-6K Books, class, travel lodging and food.
Not counting lost $$ if your employer is not picking up the tab.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-05-2011 03:27
thanks for the info the pressure pipeing is no problem, tanks and vessels another story lol
current company just does structural so i doubt theyll chip in
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-05-2011 13:40 Edited 01-05-2011 13:57
The most difficult part for most people to grasp in the API system is the requirement that certified inspectors understand how to do certain calculations pertaining to pressure, temperature, corrosion, and lifetime assessment. Neither ASME, AWS, nor ASNT ask this of inspectors(other than AI's taking it upon themselves to understand certain equations to better evaluate code calcs). In fact ASMe and AWS explicitly reject this notion.
In my experience it seems for most people especially difficult under ASME Section VIII regimes since there is a broader diversity of situations to deal with and some rather esoteric equations, at least for most of us (try evaluating the MAWP of a nozzle coming out of the top of blind flange flat head pressure vessel) and this is not the area of expertise for most applicants.
Also, do not believe them when they say you will not be asked to memorize the equations. Trust me, you will. Or, at least I did.
You will have open book and closed book portions on the test. And they are NOT easy tests unless you've been doing this for a long time.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 01-18-2011 03:13
I agree....
Not easy tests at all.

I highly recommend attending the prep class prior to examination.

Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-18-2011 13:47
Thats a really good recommendation. I would not suggest anybody do this blind. Again, unless you have been around this stuff for years. And even then, spend the extra cash.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-18-2011 13:52
One other piece of advice. On the multiple choice questions API likes to provide wrong answers that people have had the habit of making the same mistakes on. This means that if you have made a common mistake and you see your answer as one of the choices your screwed. Double check your calcs. I don't believe this happened to me but it sure plants a seed of doubt.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / api certifications