Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Motorcycle frame welding technical help
- - By freddy tananta Date 01-05-2011 03:04 Edited 01-05-2011 03:12
I need some help me setting up a BobCat 250 miller (as a power sourse) and High Freciuency unit......for 220 amp?
I am working in a chooper prototype frame, the owner of this project told me(and insisting) i have to use a 220 electrical power, in order to obtain a good penetration
for 1 1/4 solid bar motor frame.... by experience I know, if i set up the High Frecuency to Higher Amperage i will obtain a heat enough  for a good penetratiion .....
to explain him i went to the specifications of both machines:

BobCat 250 Miller           http://www.millerwelds.com/products/enginedriven/product.php?model=M00185
HF-251D-1 High-Frecuency arc starter and stabilizer               http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/AY5-0.pdf

where you can see the output of the Bobcat range between 250, 275 amp at 25 Volts  and duty cycle 60%, 100%
The HF Unit shows an input 115 VAC With an output of 250 Amp

You guys can help me, in how to explain him, that i will have enough penetration for the frame,? or i will need a bigger cable between the power sourse to the HF?

ALL THE CONNECTION ARE RIGHT BETWEEN MACHINES, BUT HE INSIST I HAVE TO USE 220 Amp..............OR I AM MISSING SOMETHING????
make me confuse too, couse the outlet in the welding machine for the grinders shows 120 amp, and i plug the HF in one of them...

Thank you for your help!!

Fred
New Jersey
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-05-2011 03:30
Soundsd to Me like You and Your boss don't understand the differnce between volts & amps. The Bobcat provides 115 volt & 230 volt aux. power, and AC/DC welding power.
It is an engine driven machine, so it doesn't need supplied electrical power.

He wants You to use 220 amps to TIG weld 1 1/4" solid bar, not out of the question, but what are You welding that 1 1/4" bar too? The other members thickness will be a factor. Do You have amperage control from a torch mounted rheostat or foot pedal? These allow You to back off when You don't need all that amperage.

You should have at least #2 cable on both, larger if the cables are long. There is a chart in the Miller Bobcat 250 manual.

The HF box uses 115 volts to make the HF, the welding power just goes right through from the Bobcat.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 01-06-2011 03:41
the bobcat does not have remote amperage capability. the hf can have a contactor for on / off arc control with a switch through the 14 pin amp/amphenol plug
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-07-2011 04:38
I know it can be retrofitted on Ranger 8, didn't know about the Bobcat.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-07-2011 05:59
357 is right on. You will get all HF functions, just no amperage control. That's why you gotta splurge the extra $$$ for a trailblazr
- By joe pirie (***) Date 01-09-2011 16:01
why do you need a high frequency unit to weld steel ?its only
necessary for aluminum. it makes no difference what power source
you use a 220 electric machine or an engine driven welder has  absolutely
no effect on the amount of penetration. your penetration depends on your
joint preperation and the amperage you set your machine to.
I think maybe you worded your question wrong  Good luck
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Motorcycle frame welding technical help