Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / B31.3 code book help
- - By fit2inspect (**) Date 01-05-2011 03:27
I’m studying for the ASME B31.3 code book exam for this March through AWS. I’m searching for either a study guide or some practice questions or even a class I could take before the test date March 12th in Houston, Texas. I took the ASME seminar last October it seemed to be set for engineers, which I’m not. Any suggestions where else I could look?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-05-2011 11:44
Probably as good as any: http://www.addebook.com/tech/architecture/casti-guide-to-asme-b313-process-piping_1489.html if youi do an online googe search I believe you ould find one for free, in fact I'm downloading it as I write but its big so dont ask me to email it! :-)
Parent - - By fit2inspect (**) Date 01-05-2011 22:20
Thanks for the advise Jon20013: I looked at several sites that claim to give you the B31.3 study guide on a free download. You get started then they ask for your credit card. No way No how! Did you get any luck, if so could you e-mail me the site? I’m just getting started and finding I’m on a inspectors expense  and still have a welders pocket.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-06-2011 02:31 Edited 01-06-2011 02:33
The free download I got is LANL Engineering Standards Manual PD342 try copyiing that and pasting into a Google browser to see if you get it.  The download I got was free and it is VERY comprehensive!

Fit2inspect, if you hit any snags, click on my profile and send me an e-mail.  I have a fairly decent knowledge of B31.3. :)
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-06-2011 04:22
Fit2inspect,
I am the same as Jon, spend a lot of time working with B31.3 and will try to help if you hit any snags,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By mbrush (*) Date 01-05-2011 16:47
fit2inspect,

I recently passed the ASME Section IX/B31.1/B31.3 endorsement exam. I couldn't find a thing in terms of study guides or sample questions, so I just read through the code books a couple of times and tabbed the major subdivisions in each and got familiar with "what was where". My test was a total of 55 questions, broken down as follows: (15) qualification, (13) fabrication, (10) materials and design, (2) definitions and terminology, and (15) inspection.

There were a few real difficult questions that I ended up guessing at, but there were also a few "gimmies" as well. An entire exam on B31.3 will certainly be more involved than what I took, but how the categories are weighted should be similar. Remember not to focus on facts or memorize the code book, but have an idea of where to find the answer quickly. Time becomes the real issue in these exams. Don't mess around searching for something you can't find at first glance - skip it - chances are you'll run across the answer while looking for something else!

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Parent - - By fit2inspect (**) Date 01-06-2011 13:04
JACK POT! Thanks everyone for the help. And so quickly. I like the LANL Engineering web site it is very informative and helpful. I found Mark Smith Training Services and gave him a call. He along with Real Education Service was able to assist me as well. If I find any stumpers in my quest to achieve my B31.3 code book endorsement, I happy to know I have this forum and wonderful people in it, that are willing to give me a hand. Thank you all.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-06-2011 13:09
Very cool!  Its always good when we're able to lend a hand! :)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / B31.3 code book help