Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Qualification to weld on crane lacing
- - By weldr61 (*) Date 01-05-2011 04:10
What code does one need to qualify under to weld lacing and such on cranes? American Cranes has a publication on how to weld (work instructions ) but does not say one needs to first be qualified to a specific code. Would AWS D1.1 be appropriate? Provided a proper welding procedure ( one that follows Americans work instructions ) is in place? Thanks for any help..

Chas
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 01-05-2011 06:25
You may want to look at AWS D14.1
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 01-05-2011 14:07
Going by memory here, but I think API has a Crane Code called "2C".

Tim
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-06-2011 17:42
Chas,
If the manufacturer of your crane is other than American (if I remember well, the full brand is American Crane and Derrick Co.) I recommed you to ask the manufacturer's instructions before start welding. His instructions may, or may not, coincide with those of American's book.
Take into account that if you make a weld, even a small one, on a crane, you're assuming the whole responsibility for it. If some accident happens, the blame will be put on you, even if the weld has nothing to do with the real cause of the accident. 
I've seen this situation before, back in my days of erector engineer.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By RBeldyk (**) Date 01-07-2011 20:15
You also need to follow the OSHA Regultaion 1926.550(a)(1) & 1926.550(a)(16)

Here is a link to an Osha Standard Interpetration on crane repairs http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=21677

Here a portion of that document:

Paragraph 1926.550(a)(16) addresses the requirement for manufacturers' approval before any modifications or additions can be made which would affect the safe operation of the crane. The section goes on to address what must be done when the capacity is changed. The intent of this paragraph is to assure any modification or addition that would change the capacity of the crane be reviewed by the manufacturer to make sure the change does not adversely affect other crane functions or components and cause an unsafe condition. By their very nature major repairs to crane components create the potential for adversely affecting capacity or safe operation, and for that reason such repairs should be reviewed and approved by the manufacturer to make sure that the crane's capacity and safe operation are not affected. Alternatively, this could be done by seeking the certification of a registered professional engineer that a repair has restored the crane component to its original configuration and strength so that the capacity and operation of the crane is unaffected by the repair. A crane user who has had major repairs carried out but has not taken appropriate steps to ensure that capacity or safe operation has not been adversely affected could be cited.

Best to avoid doing any welding on a boom unless approved by the manufacturer.

Richard Beldyk PhD, PE
www.6sproductivtycom.com
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-07-2011 21:01
Excellent link.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-10-2011 18:18
Richard,
I see a problem in a professional engineer certifying that the repair has restored the original configuration and strength etc. etc.
The problem is the following. More often than not, the material that crucial components of a crane have been made of (the boom, for example) makes part of the manufacturer's technology and is not disclosed by him.
The professional engineer, then, doesn't know what the original configuration and strength were. Of course, a piece of boom can be cut and submitted to mechanical tests and chemical and metallurgical analysis in a qualified lab, but this isn't always feasible. If I were the crane owner, for example, would not let someone to cut a piece of my crane's boom.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-10-2011 19:14
I would not touch such work without what was already said minimum.  Documentation from the manufacturer specifically citing such a repair and their recommended procedure + A third party (or manufacturer rep) inspection from an engineering firm willing to document and sign off.  I would also check with my liability provider to make sure you are covered for that type of work.  I really do not think a liability waiver would offer any protection.   A small 3 inch weld could prove quite costly for the customer or on the flip side devastatingly costly to you.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Qualification to weld on crane lacing