Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / One bad rig!
- - By EMANRESU (*) Date 01-10-2011 01:49
Wow
Attachment: attachment-1.jpeg (88k)
Attachment: attachment-2.jpeg (77k)
Parent - By Fritz T Katt (**) Date 01-10-2011 01:54
Literally laughing out loud!

But if he gets the job done... does it really make a difference?
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 01-10-2011 02:17
If you like that.....
You should see his meth lab.
Parent - - By EMANRESU (*) Date 01-10-2011 02:40
I wonder if he uses those amps and capacitor on the "small" jobs.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-10-2011 03:24
everybody gotta start somewhere I reckon.
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 01-10-2011 03:24
are you kidding me..
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 01-10-2011 04:55
that ain't even a riglet :)
Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 01-10-2011 05:09
That came out the south end of a north bound riglet :)
Parent - - By Jaxddad (**) Date 01-10-2011 05:21
A TWS student?
Parent - - By TozziWelding (**) Date 01-10-2011 05:55
They will hire him over us because he gets $25 an hour, sad but true.
Parent - By Jaxddad (**) Date 01-10-2011 07:07
not if he tells the truth. Most places will not touch them and I cant blame them.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-10-2011 19:36
Thats a good one ! A TWS Student !
Parent - - By Jaxddad (**) Date 01-10-2011 19:40
I thought you might get a kick out of that one!!!!! Hell last week they had a student kill another one over a female.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-10-2011 20:29
I'm sure that will look good on their record !
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 01-18-2011 16:17
What's the problem? He's using a lincoln and he has a fire extinguisher!! He is ready for any pipe line job. :)

Jim
- By Showdog75 (*) Date 01-10-2011 13:19
I just want to know how he got the machine in there.
- - By texwelder (***) Date 01-10-2011 18:45 Edited 01-10-2011 18:48
about all he could do with that is sprinkle fairy dust on the job. i have seen some s$#@ but that cuts the cake. who would hire him, also hope he dont ever need to haul a helper with him, but of course mickey mouse is pretty small so he might fit.
Parent - - By slagline 3 (**) Date 01-10-2011 20:33
On some jobs he'll get the same money as you!
Parent - - By TozziWelding (**) Date 01-10-2011 22:54
That's what really burns my a$$, I pay for, commercial reg on the truck, insurance, my certs, etc..... grumble, grumble, grumble....... and they will pay $hit for brains the same as me because he is "a welder".
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-10-2011 23:07
Oh come on. This rig would never be on a real job that I have ever been on. He may be doing red iron or putting up metal buildings, but not a turn-around or a pipeline.
You have to give the guy credit though. He is not sitting on his ass whining about not having work. He is doing what he can to make a buck. You may look down on him, but THAT is initiative.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-11-2011 00:10
dbigkahunna,

I have to agree with you on the initiative. Hopefully, this person will make some money and build a respectable rig. And what is a "real job" anyways? When I had a truck, originally it was a Bobcat in the bed of a Ford Ranger. My pipe line buddys scoffed at me. I did red iron, corrals, demolition, blacksmithing, ornamental gates and anything else to make a buck to feed my children and keep the wifes pie hole shut. Some of the best $$$ with the riglet was on Municipal Water lines and commercial jobs with a Mechanical contractor (natural gas, water and steam pipe). There were some tough times (just like now) 20 some years ago, yet I managed to get enough work to continue buying tools, equipment and a 1 ton truck (off an unemployed downhill only Rig Welder) while many others were selling off their stuff to stay ahead of the bill collectors.
Arrogance with a golden arm attitude waiting out the tough times in the bar with this economy can run you into the poor house.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-11-2011 00:39
I think that is Shad's new Rig. He said it wasn't what he wanted    BUT DAMN !!!!!!!
Parent - By Sberry (***) Date 01-17-2011 15:19 Edited 01-17-2011 15:24
I got to agree with dbig here, the guy has some imagination and doing what he can with what he has, might even work. I got a big truck too but it doesn't entitle me to squat.
  Someone may get a kick out of this then. The electrical contractor that quoted my Bud's job figured him for a dipstick, didn't sell him solutions to the problems, only the easiest most convenient thing he could at some astronomical price. Sorry to Mr "I got the truck and the license" but he had his chance, a couple of them.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-17-2011 21:59
I agree, still LMAO looking at it though but have to agree with the "he's willing to work" with what he has. I had a ranger 8, no insurance, workers comp and one AWS wps and did hand rail, dumpster enclosures, new and stinky repairs. Ornamental gates, fixing crusty ol' stairs and whatever little turd job came along as Superflux said, to keep food on the table and a roof over my wifes head. While all the big guys are out doing pipelines, power houses somebody has to fix the dumpster doors!! LoL! Slowly you move up, again, as Superflux said, buying more tools, next thing you know you've got an Sa250 on a decent looking rig and jobs are a bit bigger. After 6 months of me and my ranger I had insurance, this year was workers comp(required this year).

I guess my thin line is if a guy has no intentions of EVER getting workers comp, insurance, certs and running it like a real business, paying taxes etc, etc. If the "rig"(??) pictured above is a stepping stone for a go getter that has dreams of owning a nice rig, a shop, having employees and paying out the ying yang like the rest of us one day, then I say take your hatchback and weld away bud. If he just runs away scabbin' work at $25 an hour after his day job throwing up bubble gum welds and has no intentions of ever doing a real business then yeah, that bothers me a bit. But then, what can I do about it, he'll screw up something, have no insurance and they'll burry him next to his "rig"(??).  

Still laughing about those pictures!!! Ain't he worried about catching his rig on fire?? Guess that's why the extinguisher is so close!!
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-18-2011 00:31
at least he has a fire extingisher for safety
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-18-2011 14:03
Hope he never gets in an accident, all that gear in there will surely kill him if the accident don't!!
- - By Zane Cook (*) Date 01-18-2011 14:54
This guy should go to west Texas. He would fit in with a lot of the "primos" around here. I'm all for using what you got until you can upgrade but, some guys get carried away!!! Lol
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 01-19-2011 01:41
OK all you guys taking jabs at us low budget rig welders, I'll have you know I run a lean and VERY profitable business. And whats more if you study the picture of my newest rig you'll see it has room to carry 3 helpers plus all the tools you could ever need. Pipewrench, pliers, BFH, wire brush AND a file. EAT YOUR HEART OUT!!
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 01-19-2011 01:53
With all that money you are making with that high tec rig you should at least be able to afford some duct tape to put over that hole in the seat..!!!

What the heck..??

RC
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 01-19-2011 02:05
Ya man all I can do is hold out my hand and yell ROD!! You don't need seat covers when you're workin as hard as me. Hard to find time to even get on here and see whats up, HAND ME ANOTHER!!:-)
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 01-19-2011 02:09
LOL..!! Hey I think you need to hook up with old Cactus and let him give you the info for a set of Timberns for that scooter... DOT might hit you up for being overloaded..!!

RC
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 01-19-2011 02:18
No I just stay in the alleys and run through parking lots. DOT don't mess with me. But if ol' Cactus needs some pointers I might accomadate him. I'm sure he'd be interested in my business philosophy. Judging by some of his recent picture posts he could benefit from my keep it simple approach to the wonderful rod burnin trade we all love.:-)
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-20-2011 21:52
Where you hiding your hoosier pole and umbrella?? LoL!!!
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-20-2011 22:35
You mean theres a SIMPLE approach to all of this ?
Parent - By JLWelding (***) Date 01-20-2011 22:47
I used to ride a scooter just like that one, but mine didnt have the fancy side car. Thats and old 1962 or 64 Honda CT 65cc
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 01-21-2011 10:42
Doesnt it make you wonder what his welds look like? Funny how first impressions shape views. I think .
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 01-22-2011 00:19
Now it's gettin personal,.........:-)
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 01-21-2011 12:43 Edited 01-21-2011 17:00
Two comments;
1. Forget about trying to come on one of our pipe line projects without a Lincoln. The Honda and side car are fine, but you need to junk that Mekita welding machine and get yourself a Lincoln.

2. For the love of God! Fix that plank on the side car. That is a OSHA violation big time.:)

Jim
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 01-22-2011 00:22
Well I can't afford a Lincoln yet, but I have a Miller Killer sticker I can put on it, does that count? I've heard of that OSHA bunch before. Don't they have somethin to do with animal rights or somethin like that?
Parent - By dogweld (***) Date 01-23-2011 03:47
he must be from Mexico , with a green card
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / One bad rig!